How many turns of the wheel to get an artic onto a bay?

Rob K:

sammym:
I did my first artic shift yesterday. Going forward is fine. Backwards is another matter entirely. Reversed into a very wide side road, and was totally on the pavement. I have watched youtube videos and am having another go tonight. Got a few hours dossing in the yard at start of shift. So I’m gonna find an unused trailer and have a practise.

I’m used to using full lock with rigids. But I think that this is too much for an artic. I know it depends on the reverse. But generally how many turns?

My problem is that the trailer gets away from me than it’s a real mess. I’m a bit dangerous at the moment - but want to get better.

(I was meant to get training from company - but then another driver got ill and then it’s ‘sam here is keys to double deckers crack on’. And I really don’t wanna kill anyone or damage anything. I don’t need to be like a shunter reversing god - but currently I can’t get it through the biggest gap and it’s worrying.

There is no answer to “how many turns” as there are a million different variables. No-one can tell you what to do, it will only come together with practice, but suffice to say using full lock when reversing a trailer is the best way to check that you’ve closed your back doors without leaving your seat.

Rob K?! I had to look at the date then as I thought it was a years old post but NO! He doth returneth