banned from site

talking to a big boss today and he said a driver had been banned from site for going through a 7.5 t limit to get to site . surely if you go through a 7.5 t limit that’s upto the authorities to deal with not the customer your collecting / tipping at , I know the site , but not the area that well and it’s on a main road so unless he came in a different way I’m not sure where the 7.5 t limit is , but he said it was his first time there so I guess it can happen , but just can’t see what going through a 7.5 t limit has got to do with a site , unless there getting ear ache of local busy bodies
nb I’ve never seen a route in given , but to me it’s straight forward off m6 so I’d guess one isn’t needed ,

dozy:
talking to a big boss today and he said a driver had been banned from site for going through a 7.5 t limit to get to site . surely if you go through a 7.5 t limit that’s upto the authorities to deal with not the customer your collecting / tipping at , I know the site , but not the area that well and it’s on a main road so unless he came in a different way I’m not sure where the 7.5 t limit is , but he said it was his first time there so I guess it can happen , but just can’t see what going through a 7.5 t limit has got to do with a site , unless there getting ear ache of local busy bodies
nb I’ve never seen a route in given , but to me it’s straight forward off m6 so I’d guess one isn’t needed ,

And the morel of the story is

dozy:

They will be getting grief from the locals and in turn they need to be seen doing something about it.

Many companies have restrictions put on access to there sites but usually give route instructions when ordering stuff . Bannng on 1st visit is a bit harsh maybe they where banning the firm for ignoring the instructions which don’t usually get handed down if the job is passed on or subbed out

I did similar going to a quarry in Yate to collect scrap, followed the black lorry signs that went passed a new housing estate and when I got to the quarry a man standing at the entrance informed me I wouldn’t be getting loaded as I came the ‘wrong’ way.

It was my first time going to this place but I was told I should know not the follow the ‘old’ signs through the new estate due to complaints and use another route which is only a minute detour.

Whilst I got the bad news 4 other lorries from my company turned up as we all left basically at the same time from our yard. So we all got told we wont be getting loaded today. “Maybe tomorrow” the man in the high vis said with a smile on his face.

Phoned the boss, we all left. My boss got us back to the yard to wash our lorries before going off to get other loads.

We never did a load for them in the end as we never went back.

There could also be an issue about time restrictions being put in. In my previous job every now and again there was a memo about being quiet unloading at night as a store had had a curfew issued due to complaints about excessive noise.

Some opperators have routing restrictions placed upon them as part of their O licence, this may also include their own vehicles and 3rd parties coming to the depot

Co-op at Andover make you fill in some type of declaration as to which way you got there and threaten huge fines to suppliers who do not arrive and leave via prescribed routes.

Harry Monk:
Co-op at Andover make you fill in some type of declaration as to which way you got there and threaten huge fines to suppliers who do not arrive and leave via prescribed routes.

That ■■■■■■ me right off every time I sign that. A few times I’ve answered the question “did you use the A303 to get here?” In the negative, and then in “which route did you take?” bit I usually write “dunno, followed sat nav”. I gave up when I realised that nobody actually reads it.

The route that they are trying to keep you off has no weight/height or time restrictions on it so as far as I’m concerned the VED has been paid so I have every right to use it. Legend has it that there’s a particularly arse councillor who live on the banned route, hence the ban.

the maoster:

Harry Monk:

That ■■■■■■ me right off every time I sign that. A few times I’ve answered the question “did you use the A303 to get here?” In the negative, and then in “which route did you take?” bit I usually write “dunno, followed sat nav”. I gave up when I realised that nobody actually reads it.

The route that they are trying to keep you off has no weight/height or time restrictions on it so as far as I’m concerned the VED has been paid so I have every right to use it. Legend has it that there’s a particularly arse councillor who live on the banned route, hence the ban.

Same here we used to deliver to a shop and had to go in a certain way because of a councillor living on the same road…yet he was ok with the double decker bus going past his house because he used it to get to work!

the maoster:

Harry Monk:

Yep , if I’m coming from Swindon then it’s Marlborough all the way

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Where I worked 20 yrs ago had a restriction as part of their O licence, not allowed to go through the villages to access the A2 .
No weight restrictions on the route through the villages , just whinging locals .

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

mrginge:
I did similar going to a quarry in Yate to collect scrap, followed the black lorry signs that went passed a new housing estate and when I got to the quarry a man standing at the entrance informed me I wouldn’t be getting loaded as I came the ‘wrong’ way.

It was my first time going to this place but I was told I should know not the follow the ‘old’ signs through the new estate due to complaints and use another route which is only a minute detour.

Whilst I got the bad news 4 other lorries from my company turned up as we all left basically at the same time from our yard. So we all got told we wont be getting loaded today. “Maybe tomorrow” the man in the high vis said with a smile on his face.

Phoned the boss, we all left. My boss got us back to the yard to wash our lorries before going off to get other loads.

We never did a load for them in the end as we never went back.

Interesting!!

I work at said site and there are two HGV routes in - three if you’re in an 18 tonner… The housing estate in question have been making Nimby noises for a while now so I guess the Hi Viz man was trying to appease them slightly because bad neighbours can be a royal pain in the arse! However, as you probably know there are no restrictions of any kind on the two approaches from the south side - one of which runs by the houses. The other way - which the Nimbies want you to use - runs past a school, a busy shopping centre and associated traffic, various pedestrian/traffic crossings and TWO housing estates! They are right, it only takes a couple of minutes longer but only a quiet times - in busy periods it could be 10 minutes - and it is an extra mile or so but the extra hazards involved beggar belief.

Why by a house by a farmyard and complain of the smell of bull manure?

The ironic thing is that all of their houses are built with stone from where? Oh yeah, the quarry!! Sadly their attitude is soo common now, they have no thought or consideration for anyone apart from themselves… self, self, self all the time. Makes my bloody teeth itch, I’m afraid!

I used to deliver to a warehouse in Corby. It was at the end of a road with no houses then they started building houses and no doubt there will be time restrictions on access to the site in due course.

Harry Monk:

Only 7.5t I can think of there is around Abbots Ann, absolute ■■■■■■■■■ to get an artic through :slight_smile:

Piston broke:
Interesting!!

I work in Yate now at a different company and like you said having to go past Tesco’s can take a while. This incident happened 3-4yrs ago and the lorry signs are still there and I still see lorries using that route from the bypass. Maybe they just went militant for a period and the complaints stopped so they cooled it a bit with new drivers.

mrginge:

Piston broke:
Interesting!!

I work in Yate now at a different company and like you said having to go past Tesco’s can take a while. This incident happened 3-4yrs ago and the lorry signs are still there and I still see lorries using that route from the bypass. Maybe they just went militant for a period and the complaints stopped so they cooled it a bit with new drivers.

That would explain it then. I did hear some rumblings about it around that time but they faded away fairly quickly so I guess they either thought it was a futile battle or they got told to button it. As you say, plenty still come and go that way (quite rightly) but I guess it’s only a matter of time before someone starts complaining again… :unamused:

Piston Broke so what is the right way in there now? Not been in the quarry for years, is it still off that roundabout by the caravan place? Then round past those '80s houses and the small industrial estate?
I know of the other way coming from Bristol aswell, but only used it when on the flour wagons getting to that bakery near the quarry.

xichrisxi:

the maoster:

Harry Monk:

Same here we used to deliver to a shop and had to go in a certain way because of a councillor living on the same road…yet he was ok with the double decker bus going past his house because he used it to get to work!

30 years ago ICI in Teeside had a blanket ban on tankers using the A19 between York and Thirsk. This meant using the M62, A1 and A168 to Tees.

It turned out that some high up knob jockey in ICI lived along that road. It gave us great delight working for BASF ignoring his NIMBY memo [emoji404]

At the time Teeside Police also had a scheme controlling tanker movements around Billingham and Haverton Hill.

We ignored that too, non enforceable, no weight limits, the biggest hazard was stopping at the Chinese takeaway [emoji14]

I had a delivery at Lenham Storage and had to go via Ashford, this was, I was told, because a councillor lived between junction 8 of the M20 and Lenham. As I was pulling a 14ft 3in trailer the 15ft 6in height restriction was not a problem.