Getting closer to minimum wage

The race to the bottom is well underway here fellas. Works out at £8.55 per hour. Don’t all apply at once. I despair. I was earning this twenty years ago.

Based on a 60 hour week? Wtf? All of us who work in the real world know the hours involved in this job, but they don’t even try to hide it with the usual 40 hr week bollox.

I was earning that when I started casual driving in 2008. Progress is non-existent in this industry and nothing will change contrary to what the prophets may predict. There will never be a shortage of volunteers for this kind of employment.

£8.55 hour in Bradford aka Basra. Compare that to a similar job down south…

Mickey mouse:
The race to the bottom is well underway here fellas. Works out at £8.55 per hour. Don’t all apply at once. I despair. I was earning this twenty years ago.

You were on £8.55 per hour 20 years ago for class 2? You were either one of a few very lucky drivers or you’re talking rubbish. 20 years here in Leeds area class 2 PAYE was paying around £5 to £5.50 per hour with agency class 2 typically £6 per hour + time 1.5 after 8 hours. Class 1 PAYE work was only about £6.50 to £7 per hour too.

Bit different, but in Commercial Motor last week was a small haulier saying he had been asked to cut his rate, said he couldn’t. Bean counter from blue chip asked him what he paid his drivers and he said £10.00.an hour, plus overtime. Bean counter said, you do know minimum wage is 7.60…

And that is what hauliers are up against. Bean counter firm will find some Muppets to do the job. If it gets to that situation for me, I’m walking away.

Rob K:

Mickey mouse:

You were on £8.55 per hour 20 years ago for class 2? You were either one of a few very lucky drivers or you’re talking rubbish. 20 years here in Leeds area class 2 PAYE was paying around £5 to £5.50 per hour with agency class 2 typically £6 per hour + time 1.5 after 8 hours. Class 1 PAYE work was only about £6.50 to £7 per hour too.

20 years ago I was on £8 an hour and 2 years after that I moved onto brick cranes at £8-50 , but that’s only 18 years ago .

12 years ago when I was just starting, and had just got my Class 2 I landed a job in Cleckheaton, couple of miles away from where expect are now. I was on £8.20 for 40hrs, £11 over 40.

Plus I can’t imagine that job been much fun either, delivering plts of cards to Card Factory shops in town centre.

And as older drivers are jacking it in there are not enough younger drivers to replace them I am led to believe.

I hope the whole house of cards implodes personally. Long hours for peanuts, yet still people will take the positions…

“It’s only round the corner”…“I’m retiring soon anyway”…“It’s better than the dole”…“I get left alone”… Spineless and weak people mainly who are terrified of not being able to pay for the 2 year old car on HP and the new sofa from DFS etc :unamused:

When will these people learn? STOP being taken for a ride and start valuing yourselves folks FFS :imp:

albion:
Bit different, but in Commercial Motor last week was a small haulier saying he had been asked to cut his rate, said he couldn’t. Bean counter from blue chip asked him what he paid his drivers and he said £10.00.an hour, plus overtime. Bean counter said, you do know minimum wage is 7.60…

And that is what hauliers are up against. Bean counter firm will find some Muppets to do the job. If it gets to that situation for me, I’m walking away.

While ever there is an over-supply of hauliers/drivers available to do a limited amount of work it won’t change. Ignore the media about mass shortages of the drivers because there isn’t one. You’ll know when there is because your phone won’t stop ringing from companies needing to get loads to places yesterday whilst telling you to name your price. Typically happens in the 2 weeks before Christmas and that’s it.

It is all going backwards, not just in this sector…Social unrest/uprising must be just around the corner now…

1986 double cabbing with the wife, Bristol to Malaga/ Malaga to Ipswich round trip the old man gave us £1260 per round trip.
2006 paid myself equivalent of £44k with only 1 truck with a bit of intelligent accounting and two good customers.
Nowadays I would not bother being an O/D , and if I had my license back I don’t think many would pay what I think is a proper wage to be bothered.

albion:

This needs addressing .The minimum wage was introduced to protect fruit pickers and unskilled people .i wonder what that ■■■■■■ bean counter earns …

youtu.be/zVhzXL1EZ_s

Beetlejuice:

albion:

This needs addressing .The minimum wage was introduced to protect fruit pickers and unskilled people .i wonder what that [zb] bean counter earns …

I’ll look at that clip tomorrow beetle.

It’s something I’ve thought for a long time, there’s a feeling that as long as you pay min wage then why pay more. And of course, speaking about all jobs, where one you had 60 odd million to pick from, now you have 500 million to choose from. That hasn’t helped countries that pay workers more as it naturally means that workers from poorer countries come here to work and suppress wages. To be clear, I’m not blaming them, I’d hope I’d have the same get up and go in their shoes.

And thats not just EU, you see how manufacturing has been outsourced abroad. This is great for those people, 137,000 people are lifted out of poverty every day. But inevitably it means standards drop elsewhere and that feels bad even though our standard of living is hugely better than those in benighted third world countries.

It’s interesting to see that some of the more managerial and professional jobs are just beginning to see an erosion in terms of remuneration an expectations. IT has been an early indicator of jobs moving out of Western economies, but more managerial jobs are flowing away. It was once thought places like China and India would be decades away from being able to be the ‘head’ in business, now they are right on our heels and overtaking in some areas. And it also conflicts with us putting more people through uni and devaluing degrees, along with second and third world countries increasing their university output. Brainpower is now subject to the the start of a cut throat slashing of rates for managerial professions. I doubt a lot of us in the lower end jobs are going to have much sympathy.

Sorry for the carryfast/rjan style waffle! Hopefully they’ll stay bickering over Syria and not start a forensic dissection of every word :wink:

:laughing: :wink:

Sure worth forking out thousands for all that HGV training…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s a van driver job doing 36 hours at most, I’m missing your point.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

kscoombs:
That’s a van driver job doing 36 hours at most, I’m missing your point.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Pay for HGV training earn £8.55ph
Don’t pay for HGV training earn £8.50ph
Ya get me?!,Unless of course your justification for the ■■■■ HGV wage is because you are doing 60 hrs per week so you’ll earn more :laughing:…if it is bear in mind you’ll have to work 40,000 hours before you are technically earning more per hour than the van driver based on HGV training costing £2,000.

How many drops/collections can it involve and/or waiting time,to need nights out and 60 hours per week just for the load of a 4/6 wheeler. :open_mouth: :laughing:

As for low hourly pay.It’s just another way of saying that they can’t afford to pay the driver for all the waiting and loading/unloading time involved in a shift when they are probably only getting paid by the customer for the job by the mile.

Having said that if it’s actually distance few bulk deliveries/collections,just involving a lot of waiting time at drops and collections,combined with maxing driving time,it might be worth the lower hourly rate for a nice easy job. :bulb: