Wtd brakes

Today I had a interview for a linen company was asked about how well I know the regs , I like to think I have a rather good understanding of them from learning from trucknet users over the last year ,
In my last job I never had a issue as in I would normally take a 15 min break at the 6 hr point then have a 30 min for my eu 4 hrs 30 min this job I won’t be hitting my hours as it’s mainly shunting taking linen back & forth so brakes will be taken under the wtd ,
Transport manager said I must have a 30 min by 9hrs as had a 15 by 6 hr point I always understood it by never work more than 6 hrs with out a break so for example start at 6 take break by 12 of 15 then take my next break anywhere between 6 & 12 hrs but no latter than 12hrs , who right be or the transport manager he swears by 9hrs & said I would get a infridgements !..
Sorry for this being long winded just wanting to get the facts right

15mins before 6 hours and then take 15mins again before 9 hour mark or just take a 30mins on second ad reset driving time

blue estate:
15mins before 6 hours and then take 15mins again before 9 hour mark or just take a 30mins on second ad reset driving time

or take 45 mins at 5hrs 55 and reset both :wink:

If your shift Is between 6 and 9 hours, your breaks must total 30 minutes. If working time exceeds 9 hours, breaks totalling 45 minutes are required. These can be taken at your discretion (as long as you observe the 6 hour rule below) in slots of at least 15 minutes.

You cannot work for more than 6 hours at a time without a fifteen minute break.

Gotcha , when other drivers say by 9 hours ya need a further 15 mins and others say the 15 min at the 6 hr point resets the 6 hr rule so could take a half hour anywhere between 6 & 12 , confused getting mixed reviews lol grrr

Horley:
Gotcha , when other drivers say by 9 hours ya need a further 15 mins and others say the 15 min at the 6 hr point resets the 6 hr rule so could take a half hour anywhere between 6 & 12 , confused getting mixed reviews lol grrr

That’s the trouble…from the above 3 replies there is already one person giving you incorrect info.
Best to look at the DVSA official websites and seek guidance from there.

xichrisxi:

Horley:

That’s the trouble…from the above 3 replies there is already one person giving you incorrect info.

Who?

Horley:
Today I had a interview for a linen company was asked about how well I know the regs , I like to think I have a rather good understanding of them from learning from trucknet users over the last year ,
In my last job I never had a issue as in I would normally take a 15 min break at the 6 hr point then have a 30 min for my eu 4 hrs 30 min this job I won’t be hitting my hours as it’s mainly shunting taking linen back & forth so brakes will be taken under the wtd ,
Transport manager said I must have a 30 min by 9hrs as had a 15 by 6 hr point I always understood it by never work more than 6 hrs with out a break so for example start at 6 take break by 12 of 15 then take my next break anywhere between 6 & 12 hrs but no latter than 12hrs , who right be or the transport manager he swears by 9hrs & said I would get a infridgements !..
Sorry for this being long winded just wanting to get the facts right

How much break you need depends on the length of the total working time in the shift.

• If your total working time is not more than 6 hours you don’t legally need to have a break.
  • If your total working time is more than 6 hours but not more than 9 hours you need to have a total of 30 minutes break/breaks, and 15 minutes of that break should be before going over 6 hours working time.
  • If your total working time is more than 9 hours you need a total of 45 minutes break/breaks, at not time during the shift should you do more than 6 hours working time without a break of 15 minutes or more.

There seems to be a common misunderstanding that even if your total working time is going to be more than 9 hours you must have 30 minutes break before going over 9 hours working time, this is not correct, as long as you don’t go over 6 hours working time without a break of 15 minutes you can spread the breaks out however you wish.

If you start work at 06:00 and have a break of 15 minutes at 12:00 you would legally need to start another break of 15 minutes no later than 18:15, as your total working time is more than 9 hours you would then need to have another 15 minute break before finishing the shift.
(This should not result in an infringement unless the company are analysing the cards themselves and don’t know the ergulations)

Bear in mind that breaks at the immediate start or finish of a shift do not count for the RT(WT)R, so you would need to do some work after the final break.

Having said that, if the TM tells you that you must have 30 minutes break before going over 9 hours working time and you don’t feel like correcting him just go with it :wink:

RT(WT)R 2005 - Breaks

That’s what I mean I would like facts they way I understood it was no more than 6 hours work so could work over 9 hours work providing I’ve had a 15 at the 6 hour point and not worked more than 6 hours from my last break, the transport manager was sure I would pick up infringements if I was to do it my way as in take a 15 at the cut of point of six hours then work up to another 6 hours unless of course I hit 4 and half hours or shift was less than 6 hours from last break then I would look at and see how many hours I’ve worked to witch would tell me how long my break would be !.. Is it 9 hours stop or 6 hours on from youre last break ?..
I did try correcting him but said it’s his job to know the rules so left it as it was hence me asking on hear because I may be wrong and if in that case I’m still learning :slight_smile:

Forgetting about driving breaks which you say you won’t need anyway:
As long as you have the correct amount of break for the total shift, you must have a break no later than 6 hours working time from the end of the previous break or rest period.
All breaks must be 15 minutes or more.

Unless your total working time is not going to be more than 9 hours there is no rule that says that you must have 30 minutes break before going over 9 hours.

To put it another way … you was right and the TM was wrong :slight_smile:

Reef:

blue estate:

or take 45 mins at 5hrs 55 and reset both :wink:

This is what I do, and I’ve not been pulled up for it yet, so it must be “a” correct way of doing it.

What each individual does, will depend on where and when it’s convenient to take a break, of course.

I’m not a fan of those types of jobs that have people attempting to take 15 mins on the pumps at a MSA, and then the other 30 whilst “doing your curtains” in the tip queue later on.

In my mind, a break is not a break - unless you can use the loo, have something to eat, get your head down, or even pop down to the shops - whilst ON that “Break”. :bulb:

Same here Winseer. Sod having no more than a 15 minute break at 6hrs or 15 minutes totl even by as much as up to 8hrs 59 minutes, this isn’t the Victorian era. And like you if I can’t do what the hell I want then I’m not on a break. Having to sit in a truck waiting for a green light is not a break to me.

Reef:

xichrisxi:

Horley:

Who?

Not you.

We’ll bold bloke would I be wrong or write with what I’m seeing as some are saying different as ya can see from the thread , like I said before I’m ust to just take a 15 at the 6 hour point then waiting to hit 4 and half hour drive for the 30…
I won’t be using drive time in this new role as only 20 mins to drop and back and forth mainly wtd loading and taking of cages from the wagon !..
Has anybody ever worked over the 9 hr point with only the 15 min break and took a 30 near the end of the shift ?..

Best way is to take a 45 at 4.5 hours…work or driving…i dont like the fact that drivers work for 6 hours without a break, then only take 15 minutes…and 30 mins before 9 hours, this WTd is out of order, and we are running on 2 sets of rules…best to ignore the wtd in my opinion…and hope we abolish it when we leave.

I was always under impression upto 6 hrs then need 30min break then can extend working to 9 hours from start of shift. Unless reach 4.5 driving… at which point another 30 min break is required which then resets your driving and working time ready for another 6 hours

I don’t know why people are finding this so hard…

gov.uk/guidance/drivers-hou … time-rules

breaks:
mobile workers must not work more than 6 consecutive hours without taking a break
if your working hours total between 6 and 9 hours, working time should be interrupted by a break or breaks totalling at least 30 minutes
if your working hours total more than 9 hours, working time should be interrupted by a break or breaks totalling at least 45 minutes
breaks should be of at least 15 minutes’ duration

Where there may be confusion is if you’re doing over 12hrs 45 minutes. If you take a 45 minute break at 6hrs you would need to take at least another 15 minute break before 12hrs 45 minutes to satisfy the 6hr rule and you would need to take into mind if you split the 45 minute break you must have another 15 minutes if you are going to be working more than 6hrs after that 45 minute break ended.

For the majority of us we don’t need to worry about anything other than the 6hrs because most of us will have had to have a 45 minute driving break before we reach 9hrs.

Horley:
We’ll bold bloke would I be wrong or write with what I’m seeing as some are saying different as ya can see from the thread , like I said before I’m ust to just take a 15 at the 6 hour point then waiting to hit 4 and half hour drive for the 30…
I won’t be using drive time in this new role as only 20 mins to drop and back and forth mainly wtd loading and taking of cages from the wagon !..
Has anybody ever worked over the 9 hr point with only the 15 min break and took a 30 near the end of the shift ?..

You’ve got the clearest answer below from the man on here who knows his stuff. I suggest you print it off and laminate it then show it to your “transport manager”… :slight_smile:

How much break you need depends on the length of the total working time in the shift.

If your total working time is not more than 6 hours you don’t legally need to have a break.
If your total working time is more than 6 hours but not more than 9 hours you need to have a total of 30 minutes break/breaks, and 15 minutes of that break should be before going over 6 hours working time.
If your total working time is more than 9 hours you need a total of 45 minutes break/breaks, at not time during the shift should you do more than 6 hours working time without a break of 15 minutes or more.

“My transport manager told me…” will be no defence if you face a magistrate. You, as a professional driver (that’s what the coppers will call you!) are expected to know these things and act upon them, legally. Your “transport manager” will deny all knowledge of any such instructions if asked!

This video explains WTD rules.

youtu.be/u51Fjb9WjCU

Horley:

Yes done it a few times. I have, on a couple of occassions, worked a 13 hour shift with 3 x 15 minute breaks at 4, 7 & 10 hours. It was a PR stunt and only about an hour driving all day.