Straps for steel plate?

Coming down the A1 this morning, a flatbed came along the entrance slip from the A19 and I moved out to overtake him.
I noticed as I passed, it was well freighted with steel plate, but what made me do a double take was the fact it was only secured with four straps, and they didn’t look like full width straps at that!
In the event of a sudden decelleration there’s no way those straps would prevent the load from moving.
I always go over the top when it comes to load security, and with a load like that, it’s chains or don’t bother!

Not allowed to use chains out of TATA works, it’s straps with edge protector sleeves only now.

Reef:
Not allowed to use chains out of TATA works, it’s straps with edge protector sleeves only now.

:open_mouth:
It would be akin to me only strapping a 3.5t drum of cable over top and not though the centre and with 2 at least

blue estate:

Reef:

:open_mouth:
It would be akin to me only strapping a 3.5t drum of cable over top and not though the centre and with 2 at least

Your example is actually more akin to coils than sheets, either way that’s the policy we have to adhere to, not my ruling, just what I’ve been instructed, inducted and quite probably [zb]ted.

Actually, upon reviewing my ‘induction pack’ guidelines TATA do indeed mention chains (EN 12195-3 min 8mm Grade 8, LC 40 kN) for high friction sheet packs as an option but not a requirement, my company though do not use chains at all any longer and as both straps and or chains are within TATA guidelines for high friction packs my company has obviously decided to stick with straps throughout, it doesn’t actually effect me anyway as I don’t run sheet steel, I’ve just been inducted on all types of steel we carry for that customer.

Just for fun anyone fancy loading top hat coils? :laughing:

Here’s two I did earlier

commonrail:

Here’s two I did earlier

Easier with a flat… chuck sheet over, rope over front, rope over back, of we went… :grimacing:

Straps with edge protectors will hold it, but I’d want more than four for a full load and I’d make a headboard from 4" x 4" dunnage and cross a chain over it to stop it all coming forward if it all went wrong. It won’t stop it from moving if you hit something hard enough, but you will probably be dead before it gets to you in that case anyway.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

the nodding donkey:

commonrail:

Here’s two I did earlier

Easier with a flat… chuck sheet over, rope over front, rope over back, of we went… :grimacing:

Dead right, but we had proper mans sheets then. Probably weighed as much as the steel. :wink:

I used to do coils from S Wales to the channel ports on flatbeds with coil wells, all I ever did was throw a sheet over them and a couple of ropes to make the sheet nice and tight around the coil. As long as you didn’t bounce the trailer up the kerb on the roundabouts coming through Bracknell they stayed on just fine.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

^^ You see that guy last week at Belle Plaine ? Lost his coils not backing off for the rail bridge , costly error :unamused:

commonrail:

Here’s two I did earlier

Always just chucked 4 over the top…never had one move…

As for Tata…don’t even need to strangle strap unless it’s low friction. :smiley:

commonrail:

Here’s two I did earlier

I hope you…

Didn’t get on the bed without fall arrest equipment? :smiley:

I once loaded coils like that…and was amazed at how they were strapped, and i had guidance whist doing them…only other thing i had to use was anti slip mats…but i felt very comfortable taking that load to france, well done tata.

yourhavingalarf:

commonrail:

Here’s two I did earlier

I hope you…

Didn’t get on the bed without fall arrest equipment? :smiley:

Strait Jacket?
Ah. That’s Fool Restraint.
Sorry.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

When my alarm goes off I have two H & S people who lift me up and get me dressed. Then…

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER secure steel plates with straps, chains only, the steel will slice through straps like a knife through butter.

Pat Hasler:
NEVER, NEVER, NEVER secure steel plates with straps, chains only, the steel will slice through straps like a knife through butter.

Unless of course you use edge protection in which case it’s perfectly fine.

As the 24 ton of steel plate I have just driven 300+ miles will attest to…as did the 26 ton of steel plate I drove 200+ miles yesterday…all done with straps and suitable edge protection.

Pat Hasler:

Pat you can write NEVER as much as you like , it doesn’t change the fact that if the customer doesn’t want his product damaged by chain ‘■■■■■’ then you use straps with sleeve and or plastic edge protectors…

If you use an unprotected ■■■■■■■■ a sharp edge then yes obviously it will ‘saw’ during the journey or ‘slice’ during poor unprepared braking/evading, or of course a sudden stop incident, but in this respect ‘unprotected’ is the key word, you can get cardboard, nylon ■■■■■■, plastic and even metal edge protectors, some fitted already to the product by the manufacturer and some you add yourself as part of your securing kit procedure, so there are plenty of safe and proven options for using straps.