Considering a switch from Maritime to Tesco

Hi guys,

Been at Maritime now 6 months, still doesn’t feel right working for them, so I got invited for an interview at Tesco (Peterborough), did some work for Sainsbury’s in past, but that was contract work, I must admit I did like it, but no Sainsbury’s hub close to me now that I moved. Anyone worked for Tesco direct before, would like to hear opinions what are average hours on nights including overtime, working conditions, etc. Thanks!

Good luck with your move, its what suits you, and not what others think…you wont be sitting in the cab whilst being tipped though, one downside, but if the money is there go for it, dont think your be maxing your hours either…so could be a win win.

truckyboy:
Good luck with your move, its what suits you, and not what others think…you wont be sitting in the cab whilst being tipped though, one downside, but if the money is there go for it, dont think your be maxing your hours either…so could be a win win.

Thanks. I did few shifts there already via Maritime, similar to Sainsbury’s, so have an idea of their setup there. Just wondering whether I could get hours in, as their basic is 42.5 hours at £11, o/t is £16.5, not certain how much o/t is available on average, as nobody mentions that before interview and can’t really be trusted with this sort of information during interview either in my experience anyway. Because I’d have to ‘sacrifice’ 3 weekends on/ 3 weekends off I wouldn’t want to do this if hours are low.

I could be wrong here, but dont maritime do the haulage for some of the tescos rdcs?

Trickydick:
I could be wrong here, but dont maritime do the haulage for some of the tescos rdcs?

They do, that’s how I know I am Ok with their work. As you probably are aware a lot of companies treat full-time staff differently to contractors :slight_smile:

romik:
Hi guys,

Been at Maritime now 6 months, still doesn’t feel right working for them, so I got invited for an interview at Tesco (Peterborough), did some work for Sainsbury’s in past, but that was contract work, I must admit I did like it, but no Sainsbury’s hub close to me now that I moved. Anyone worked for Tesco direct before, would like to hear opinions what are average hours on nights including overtime, working conditions, etc. Thanks!

Just out of interest as I have 3 or 4 Maritime depots near me, you say it doesn’t feel right working for them, can I ask why?

I would argue that supermarket work is one of the better payers in this industry.

It’s getting a full time contract, rather than a SE Contract or Agency work - that’s a bit more difficult to pull off.

I remember working out of Snodland on agency five years ago, and the full timers there were in dead man’s shoes jobs. They had 5 shifts per week, often with a single (longer) run out just the once per day, rather than the double-longs or triple short runs that we agency bods used to get.

A single run took about 6-8 hours, and if you’re doing that 5 days a week, you’re looking at a 40 hour week being paid for 48 more often than not. If you did the same on agency, you’d get 40 hours, less 5 hours off for the breaks! - Not so good then. In short, Tescos was one of the few places where the full timers did much better than the agency, all around!

With the hourly rate already pretty good - I would say "Grab any full time contract with ANY supermarket, let alone Tescos - with both hands! :slight_smile:

Grab the chance while you can.
I spent some time up there while they got our rdc ready
and I found them a good bunch and plenty of descent runs.
You’ll get enough overtime to keep you happy.

Winseer:
I would argue that supermarket work is one of the better payers in this industry.

It’s getting a full time contract, rather than a SE Contract or Agency work - that’s a bit more difficult to pull off.

I remember working out of Snodland on agency five years ago, and the full timers there were in dead man’s shoes jobs. They had 5 shifts per week, often with a single (longer) run out just the once per day, rather than the double-longs or triple short runs that we agency bods used to get.

A single run took about 6-8 hours, and if you’re doing that 5 days a week, you’re looking at a 40 hour week being paid for 48 more often than not. If you did the same on agency, you’d get 40 hours, less 5 hours off for the breaks! - Not so good then. In short, Tescos was one of the few places where the full timers did much better than the agency, all around!

With the hourly rate already pretty good - I would say "Grab any full time contract with ANY supermarket, let alone Tescos - with both hands! :slight_smile:

This ^^^

ive just started at tesco a few weeks ago the money is decent adn i can honestly say its the easiest job i have ever had!!!

go for it you wont know until you try it there is a LOT of elf an saftey stuff to adhere to but the way i see it if they pay me and want me to do the job a certain way then i am all for it.

and no more of this chasing your arris and sailing close to wind regarding hours etc.

decent money, decent benefits and more with service length, premium for night, weekend and bank holidays.

its not everyones cup of tea but so far so good for me

good luck

They are advertising for drivers on the back of toilet doors in Scotland.

ROADRANGER:

“any truckers wanting a good time ring 07906…”

ezydriver:

ROADRANGER:

Not that kind of add.
Its true, i was in stirling services last week and there is a proper advert on the back of a cubicle door.

Sent from my 5085Y using Tapatalk

ontheroad57:

ezydriver:

ROADRANGER:

Not that kind of add.
Its true, i was in stirling services last week and there is a proper advert on the back of a cubicle door.

I would check the walls in that toilet for a hole

villa:

ontheroad57:

ezydriver:

ROADRANGER:

Not that kind of add.

I would check the walls in that toilet for a hole

:laughing:

ezydriver:

ROADRANGER:

Is that the number of the supplying agency then? :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

If you get the offer snap it up. One of the biggest mistakes I ever made was leaving Tesco and the boss there told me at the time “I don’t care how bored you feel, think of what you are giving up”
He was right, the shares given to employee’s alone are amazing, I know the pay now is less than it was back then but if I was living back in the UK I would not hesitate to take it … Good luck to you.

I worked for Tesco’s at Peterborough up till 2011 on agency, job easy a bit boring, go mostly round east Anglian. If its the same now you usually do 2 runs a day, pull the cages and dollies off the back reload with rubbish in cages + empties then when you get back, empty the trailer at the RSU department. Keeps you fit.

I thought the job was quite good but it was a bit too far to travel a day. It you don’t like to do manual work forget it. that’s if its the same now.

I considered Peterborough as not to far from Grantham , but Mrs friends daughter took a job in p/ bro and she said getting out of p/ bro , a1 can be pigs at times , and I did donny for a bit and I’d had enough , a1 shut could take 3 hrs to get up there , then the mileage on the car was stupid , no one took into account traveling