Wish me luck please!

I’m behind the wheel of a very nice 17 plate R580… with a manual gearbox! Today is a day of firsts. First flatbed load, first steel, first time driving a manual (im not counting moving the shunt unit in the yard), first time delivering to a construction site in the middle of London.

To say that I’m ■■■■■■■■ myself with nerves is an understatement!

So, if you see a WST flatbed creeping around with the air of a man hopelessly out of his depth behind the wheel… that’s probably me! :blush: :laughing:

You’ll p*ss it. And think how good you’ll feel when you’ve tipped and you’re heading out of London.

Good luck sure you’ll be fine fine, never forget your first time.

I remember mine, was really nervous and frightened something would go wrong but handled the box quite well, slipped out a few times at first until I got used to the knob which was a bit bigger than the one I’d trained on.

Slow and steady wins the race.

Take your time…

Don’t let anyone hustle you and you’ll be fine.

Make sure you do lots of little blips with the revs between each gear. :smiley:

If you are uncomfortable then tell the builders.

I remember driving in central manchester to deliverer steel to a building site. Delivery notes ‘rigid ONLY’ I presumed it was because they only had a small amount of steel. Got there and found it (and satnavs are not great to building sites so ask other builders they will know other sites around there) - and then I nearly drove straight back when I saw access. Didn’t think it was possible.

So I told the builders… next thing I know South African foreman had about 30 builders blocking the road and guiding me in. Never had so many banksmen. With Saffa boss taking total control. Turned a total nightmare into something relatively easy.

Generally they just want you in an out so it’s okay. I was in a manual as well - but not a nice one. Total load or rubbish/nail. In a way the clutch helped me - getting into right spaces was easier using clutch control than the auto jerking around.

You’ll be fine Slowlane, just remember that it’s not against the law to be nervous! Do not let anyone rush you, and above all if you’re feeling overwhelmed then do not be afraid to pull in safely and take a few minutes to regain your composure. Oh, keep an eye out for bloody traffic wardens if you do do that :wink:

Thanks guys!

I arrived on time and without any cyclists dangling off the truck. :laughing:

It was an… experience! Pretty ■■■■ good fun for the most part. It’s beginning to get a bit more natural, we’ll see how I do on the way out. I think I’m very lucky that I’ve got a truck with so much torque, it’s pretty ■■■■ forgiving. Also, super impressive at romping up hills that would have had my DAF struggling at this weight.

slowlane:
Thanks guys!

It was an… experience! Pretty ■■■■ good fun for the most part. It’s beginning to get a bit more natural, we’ll see how I do on the way out. I think I’m very lucky that I’ve got a truck with so much torque, it’s pretty ■■■■ forgiving. Also, super impressive at romping up hills that would have had my DAF struggling at this weight.

That’s the sort of thing that will ruin our reputation!

TiredAndEmotional:

slowlane:
Thanks guys!

That’s the sort of thing that will ruin our reputation!

:blush: :blush: :laughing:

Well done! You’ll be feeling much better now

U not on for downtowns now?

largebloke1969:
U not on for downtowns now?

No, I left, and have moved over to WST. I’ve always wanted to try flatbeds, and had built up enough general experience, got a chance and took it.

This, sadly, isn’t my truck. I’m in this one for this week, when I get one assigned it is most likely not going to have leather seats, a gearstick and a hefty V8 like this one does :laughing: But, I’m a newbie as well as a new driver, so can’t really moan!

Best of luck for the future matey

yes them ws loads in / out of centre of London could be fun

slowlane:
I’m behind the wheel of a very nice 17 plate R580… with a manual gearbox! Today is a day of firsts. First flatbed load, first steel, first time driving a manual (im not counting moving the shunt unit in the yard), first time delivering to a construction site in the middle of London.

To say that I’m [zb] myself with nerves is an understatement!

So, if you see a WST flatbed creeping around with the air of a man hopelessly out of his depth behind the wheel… that’s probably me! :blush: :laughing:

Tang power! No need to worry about that box too much, 580 will pull it out of any trouble no matter the gear :wink:
Good luck in your new job…

Your never straight in a V8, enjoy wish I drove one.

Dipper_Dave:

Just for you Dave :smiley:

Hope you were correctly dressed for the V8 :smiley:

the maoster:

Dipper_Dave:

Just for you Dave :smiley:

Massive thumbs up from me, cheers.

Mazzer2:

Hope you were correctly dressed for the V8 :smiley:

Just spat my coffee out at that :laughing: :laughing: