Running boards

Was tipping this morning in Aldi Swindon and the guy on the bay next to me had about 6 pallets out of 33 in a curtain sider which had tipped sideways , so in the time I tipped 33 plts he had tipped one as he was rebuilding the coped ones. Why is it that UK hauliers don’t spec their trailers with running boards, these would have prevented the plts from tipping. The cost of damaged goods and wasted time would surely cover the cost if you are doing this type of work all the time and are a good aid to load to load security. In trailer spec and technology the UK is way behind the rest of Europe whenever I did European curtain sider work we had running boards and there are places on the continent that won’t load you without them. Seems to be saving the pennies to lose the pounds.

I agree.

My personal feeling is that at some point someone in an office worked out that saving 5 mins placing the boards at every drop x a few drops in a day would give them time to ram in another 20 mins or so work.

I know and you know sideboards could be helpful but since when does that matter when some graduate tries to justify their job.

Health and Safety scaredy cats worrying about lifting boards above head height would be my guess.

Whats the point of the boards you still have to strap the load.All i can see the boards do is make more work.

Bring back tilts. :stuck_out_tongue:

fingermissing:
Whats the point of the boards you still have to strap the load.All i can see the boards do is make more work.

5 minutes to strap a load or a couple of hours to rebuild the pallets and then find somewhere to take the damaged goods no brainer really. The boards give a degree of stability to the load in this case they wouldn’t have coped over.

Suedehead:

Stuff that for a lark, worst thing ever invented !! :frowning:

We run ferry trailers so its running boards all day, every day!

Running boards, tilt boards, they’re a necessary evil, the original idea was to build a framework to throw wet tarpaulins over, the tarpaulin didn’t touch the goods, it just protected it from the elements.

As things progressed the tarpaulins were fitted to an exact size, the boards were slotted through pockets which prevented the tilt covering acting as a 40’ sail.

IF the uk got its act together, the majority of goods could be transported in a box trailer, especially foodstuffs…companies would have loading bays, instead of having to fight the weather with outside work…the rest should be shrunk wrapped with a strength so as to keep everything intact during transit…but as someone said…we are so far behind…in europe you rarely see curtains being pulled, most are loaded via the back doors.

truckyboy:
IF the uk got its act together, the majority of goods could be transported in a box trailer, especially foodstuffs…companies would have loading bays, instead of having to fight the weather with outside work…the rest should be shrunk wrapped with a strength so as to keep everything intact during transit…but as someone said…we are so far behind…in europe you rarely see curtains being pulled, most are loaded via the back doors.

That’s probably correct, so many times we had to open both sides while 2 forklifts loaded 2 pallets at a time, ship out and we tipped through the back doors with a pallet truck or a loading ramp 90% of the time.

raymundo:

Suedehead:

Stuff that for a lark, worst thing ever invented !! :frowning:

+1…

As the rear doors fell off the SCAC tilt I was stripping down in Rotherham steel works all those years ago, I remember thinking…there just HAS to be a better way.

Side timbers have the tensile strength of ice-lolly sticks. If something heavy breaks loose inside they are about as much use as a fog light on the Titanic.