First come first served? Not up to the driver

So this happens a lot, and there’s been a video on YouTube by that trucker jay a while back having an argument with another driver about who’s getting tipped first.

This morning, I turn up at my drop. There’s one in the yard already, and 2 waiting outside. I go to see the yard stafff with my notes and he says, right you come in next. Me knowing that is going to totally ■■■■ off the 2 drivers who arrived before me, I say are you sure? I’m happy to wait to my turn. He says no we want you in next. So one being tipped pulls out, and I pull in. You can see what happens next before I say it… driver waiting gets out comes mouthing off to yard man about how he was here first. Didn’t hear what was said but he was obviously told to do one and wait until called.

As I pulled out I could see the way he was looking at me his blood was boiling. Hahahaha

Now, I understand…it’s annoying…but at any delivery point it’s up to the yard staff who they want in next regardless of who came first. I agree I’d be annoyed as well, but at the end of the day who gets tipped in which order isnt up to me unless we’ve all been told first come first served, in which case we sort it out between ourselves.

I don’t get why some drivers think it’s their choice who gets tipped at a customer/delivery point.

Did you have

1. something they needed to put on one of their delivery lorries that was waiting ?
    2 , only a couple of pallets ?

I had it a few months ago. Turned up at a place, there was a container truck already waiting. Yardman told me to put it on the bay. So I did that, then went into the warehouse for a coffee and a chat with the lads. Matey boy comes stomping up, ■■■■■■ and blinding and saying “I’ve been waiting three hours and he’s only just turned up.” So the yardman said “Yes, but we need the cradle that’s on his trailer to tip your load”. That shut him right up. :stuck_out_tongue:

blue estate:
Did you have

1. something they needed to put on one of their delivery lorries that was waiting ?
    2 , only a couple of pallets ?

8 pallets. I know that’s why they tipped me first. But it makes me laugh how some drivers then think it should have been up to them who gets tipped rather than up to the staff at the place.

Harry Monk:
So the yardman said “Yes, but we need the cradle that’s on his trailer to tip your load”. That shut him right up. :stuck_out_tongue:

:smiley:

Rowley010:
So this happens a lot, and there’s been a video on YouTube by that trucker jay a while back having an argument with another driver about who’s getting tipped first.

This morning, I turn up at my drop. There’s one in the yard already, and 2 waiting outside. I go to see the yard stafff with my notes and he says, right you come in next. Me knowing that is going to totally ■■■■ off the 2 drivers who arrived before me, I say are you sure? I’m happy to wait to my turn. He says no we want you in next. So one being tipped pulls out, and I pull in. You can see what happens next before I say it… driver waiting gets out comes mouthing off to yard man about how he was here first. Didn’t hear what was said but he was obviously told to do one and wait until called.

As I pulled out I could see the way he was looking at me his blood was boiling. Hahahaha

Now, I understand…it’s annoying…but at any delivery point it’s up to the yard staff who they want in next regardless of who came first. I agree I’d be annoyed as well, but at the end of the day who gets tipped in which order isnt up to me unless we’ve all been told first come first served, in which case we sort it out between ourselves.

I don’t get why some drivers think it’s their choice who gets tipped at a customer/delivery point.

Not being funny mate, you just admitted you knew it would ■■■■ them off, so would it not have diffused the whole situation if you had said prior to going in…
‘‘Look lads I know you’ve been waiting x no. of hours, but he’s asked me to go in before you, sorry about that’’
That is what I would do, (and have done numerous times in the past in that scenario)
Granted not necessary, but just good manners, we’re all drivers together.
Why ■■■■ people when you can easily avoid it. :bulb:

robroy:

Rowley010:

Not being funny mate, you just admitted you knew it would ■■■■ them off, so would it not have diffused the whole situation if you had said prior to going in…
‘‘Look lads I know you’ve been waiting x no. of hours, but he’s asked me to go in before you, sorry about that’’
That is what I would do, (and have done numerous times in the past in that scenario)

Exactly how it should have happened, the way I read the OP sounded like he was gloating which would ■■■■ any driver off.

robroy:

Rowley010:

By the time I’d walked back to my unit first driver was pulling out and I was being called in. If I’d have then gone first to walk round the other drivers, it was wasting more if everyone’s time. I normally would go and say this is the situation. But the point of my post is why do some drivers thinks it’s uo to them who gets tipped rather than up to the staff at where your tipping…

bobbya:

robroy:

Rowley010:

Exactly how it should have happened, the way I read the OP sounded like he was gloating which would ■■■■ any driver off.

How am I gloating by just following the instruction of the yard staff?

robroy:

Rowley010:

I didn’t purposely try to ■■■■ him off…the situation as it happened ■■■■■■ him off, because he thought it was his decision rather than the yard staff. As I see happening time and time again.

robroy:

With the bad tempered muppets around out there I’d probably ask the yard staff to tell the others in the line who’s wanted next before moving anywhere. :bulb:

I do what Robroy said .It takes a few minutes and eases tension :wink:

Beetlejuice:

Right. Like I say normally I would, but the way everyone was parked it wasn’t like I walked past them to get from my unit to the yard and I was being called in, so I felt I didn’t want to waste everyone’s time by going walking round to explain the situation. For crying out loud I was tipped by time I’d have done that.

This is going off topic though.

I’m asking why some drivers think tipping order is up to them regardless of whether they have the situation explained to them or not…

How do you know at least one of these guys had not parked there the previous night, maybe been turned away at 5 past 5, so was hoping to be away.
I understand it aint up to drivers in a queue that’s obvious, but that said, tbh mate I would be ■■■■■■ off also.
As bobbya says, you do come across as couldn’t give a ■■■■/gloating.

Rowley010:

Beetlejuice:

Right. Like I say normally I would, but the way everyone was parked it wasn’t like I walked past them to get from my unit to the yard and I was being called in, so I felt I didn’t want to waste everyone’s time by going walking round to explain the situation. For crying out loud I was tipped by time I’d have done that.

I’m asking why some drivers think tipping order is up to them regardless of whether they have the situation explained to them or not…

If the boot was on the other foot so to speak would you still say the same? Probably not.

robroy:
How do you know at least one of these guys had not parked there the previous night, maybe been turned away at 5 past 5, so was hoping to be away.
I understand it aint up to drivers in a queue that’s obvious, but that said, tbh mate I would be ■■■■■■ off also.
As Rowley says, you do come across as couldn’t give a [zb]/gloating.

But even if you’ve been parked since previous night it’s still not up to you when they want to tip you is it.

Can you explain how I’m gloating?

I turn up

Get told to go in

Before I could go and explain to waiting drivers they are saying come in now

I go in, open and close curtains as fast I possibly can to get out of everyone’s way

I leave…

How is that gloating?

bobbya:

Rowley010:

Beetlejuice:

If the boot was on the other foot so to speak would you still say the same? Probably not.

Boot has been other foot many a time pal and I understand as a driver it’s not my choice if they call someone else in before me…

Had it with one of Jenkinson’s recently. Process at this site is park outside, hand paperwork and phone number into office an await the call for you to come in.
My phone rang before I’d even got to back to the truck so drove straight in and before I’ve even screwed around in the yard he is charging over face like a tomato arms flailing.
Apparently I’d “jumped” the queue but yard worker reminded him who’s in charge and he’d best return to his motor if he wants in at all. Turns out what I had was going in the load he was taking.

robroy:
As bobbya says, you do come across as couldn’t give a [zb]/gloating.

■■■■■■ off with the staff there or ■■■■■■ off with the other driver rob? Remember it’s not his fault he’s been told to go in…

Rowley010:
How am I gloating by just following the instruction of the yard staff?

Rowley010:

Might be why some are assuming you are gloating/taking the ■■■■

(just to be clear before somebody comes along and accuses me of anything, :unamused: I’m not saying you were or weren’t just highlighting why I think others may think that you are)