Urban trailers

Anyone pull one of these rear steer urban trailers?

What are they like? Ie main things to watch out for coming from a standard tri axle to one of these either going forwards or reversing?

I’ve heard rear end swing is more of a problem, in which case why are they good for urban? Surely if the swing is worse then your going to need more space to not hit the parked cars it’s swing towards?

Only used one once but seem to remember it had a wedge at back of kingpin which steered rear axle on trailer,pulled a standard tri axle one and the rear steer locked off,on the urban it didn’t.

Getting round towns and cities is easier as you don’t have to take a wide swing when pulling out of junctions/delivery points.
Reversing can be tricky at first as Urban rear steers come round a bit quicker. Single axle short trailers are worst.

Urban trailers, especially ones with steering axles just follow you everywhere, like driving a rigid or solo unit, reversing them takes a bit of practice.

I’ve heqrd reversing can be a bit of a challenge… so what is it that’s different to reversing a normal trailer?

The clue is its name “URBAN” , means it’ll be best for urban deliveries in urban town centres where a tri-axle would be a NIGHTMARE (well maybe not that extreme but) :laughing: :laughing:
It’s shorter, one axle, maneuvers better in tight delivery areas, lots of companies use them for delivering to shops ::: Tesco, Co-op, Waitrose, Lenham. Could go on but, my dinner’s ready :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Rowley010:
I’ve heqrd reversing can be a bit of a challenge… so what is it that’s different to reversing a normal trailer?

Not really. They react quicker and that’s all. You have to take your time and do smaller adjustments on the steering wheel and that all.
If you’re unsure, before you leave the yard have a little practice at reversing, you will be really surprised at how quickly they react.

Unsure ■■? Take your time till you master it.

Rowley010:

If you turn a single axle trailer, both wheels move with the turn and its a much quicker, sharper turn. With a tri axle you have 6 wheels all wanting to keep going back straight so its a bigger turn
Thats the best way I can describe it

In my experience using them I thought they were brilliant, total joy to pull. Bends & corners you think should be tight won’t be.

Going backwards is OK, they turn a bit quicker but shouldn’t be a problem for a seasoned artic driver after a few goes.

The biggest benefit from an urban trailer is turning left at a set of crossroad traffic lights. With a tri-axle, you’re going to drag the trailer over the traffic light post, and trash it.

There are still places you just cannot turn left in a million years though, like pulling out Left from Bull Lane into the A2 towards Rainham (Newington, Kent) :unamused:

Winseer:
The biggest benefit from an urban trailer is turning left at a set of crossroad traffic lights. With a tri-axle, you’re going to drag the trailer over the traffic light post, and trash it.

There are still places you just cannot turn left in a million years though, like pulling out Left from Bull Lane into the A2 towards Rainham (Newington, Kent) :unamused:

Police dig out lorry wedged between two walls on A2 at Newington

Sat nav said go dis way… Bet he didn’t even get a ticket.

We have run an 11m single axle rear steer curtain trailer with a short 2 axle urban tractor for several years. It uses the fifth wheel wedge and beam system and cannot be locked for reversing. The axle is about 2m from the back of the trailer because it has some underslung tail lift gear and the extra space needed for the axle to turn. I would say the main points are :-

1. It’s brilliant to drive forwards, especially roundabouts as you pretty well drive as if you have no trailer, it just follows.

2. It’s brilliant for doing 180 turns at the end of a cul de sac, in what looks like too small of a yard and inside buildings, although on full lock the position of the axle really does look weird.

3. Reversing is fine,but it does turn a lot quicker and it’s very easy to overdo it. It’s great for getting around the corners of buildings etc. Trying to get parallel to something else if you do not have enough approach space to get straight can be difficult because of the tail swing. It really does carry on turning a lot more when you are getting the unit back in line.

4. Coming out of a tight entrance or gateway the tail swing can catch you out. If you need to turn right before the whole trailer has come out you need to keep pretty tight on the right and the the back of the trailer will magically move left, but the amount of tailswing can catch you out :frowning: Similar thing when using a right hand lane to turn right. If someone has pulled along your left and only inches from the side of your trailer you have to wait for them to move first. The problem then is another one does the same… We have got the dreaded flashing beacons on the back but they only come on when it is actually turning, whether that helps or not I do not know but it looks good :unamused:

Hope that helps.

1. Always drop it in a straight line if it is the wedge system. It’s a prat of a job getting back on at an angle and cannot do the wedge or fifth wheel much good if you get it wrong.

And another asset with an urban trailer…you cant carry as many pallets. :smiley:

There is only ONE thing to remember over anything else with command steer trailers and thats to make sure you are 100 percent square before you back under and be quite brutal with testing you have the trailer locked into the fifth wheel, failure to do so can be very embarassing.
Apart from that its as normal as can be.

Use them all the time…brilliant for round town work and reversing into tighter areas…

Just dont leave your steering turned to long as they just keep coming round and before you know it the trailer wheels are at full lock…

They take a bit of getting use to be once done, they are brill