Abnormal load advice

We regularly transport portacabin type buildings…just need some advice around abnormal load regs.

They are normally all 10ft wide, sometimes more if they have legs on…what markers should we have on them? Am I correct in thinking we should have movement orders for this, given the that 10 ft is just over 3 mtrs?

Also we often have to carry 2 cabins on a flat trailer, that end up overhanging by 6ft or more due to waste pipes etc…am I correct in thinking that there is a limit to the overhang,especially as they are 2 items?

Surely the best thing you could have done is use Google to find the VOSA/government website that tells you what the regs are before you started to take them out?

gov.uk/esdal-and-abnormal-loads

gov.uk/government/publicati … f-practice

Get your eyes round this

You’ll need lots of beacons, permanently on, you will also need a spoty 18yr old you’ff, as a second man.

DonutUK:
We regularly transport portacabin type buildings…just need some advice around abnormal load regs.

They are normally all 10ft wide, sometimes more if they have legs on…what markers should we have on them? Am I correct in thinking we should have movement orders for this, given the that 10 ft is just over 3 mtrs?

Also we often have to carry 2 cabins on a flat trailer, that end up overhanging by 6ft or more due to waste pipes etc…am I correct in thinking that there is a limit to the overhang,especially as they are 2 items?

Are you getting confused with stgo when you mention 2 items ?

I’m a cabin man. We have yearly dispensations from all police forces across the uk except for the met police in London. We have to give the Met 2 clear days notice of movement.
If you don’t have the dispensations then you need to notify the police forces that you are travelling through.
I don’t recommend you try to wing it as you can get pulled by the local authorities for a check. We had one of ours stopped in Essex and was parked up for a while because of a minor discrepancy.
Our cabins are 32 feet long and 10ft 6 inch wide with the legs. We have marker triangles on the front and rear of the cabin. We run mainly rigids with the 32’s so we have a long overhang on the back.
Flashy lights not required but I do find them useful as they can give a heads up to oncoming traffic.

get some red bike lights to put on the triangles or get the garage to fit them and put plugs on back of trls and front for for white ones.come in handy a lot in the winter.as most drivers will not see the legs and run into them.

What’s the maximum width,before you need a second man/■■■■■■?
I done one at 3.45 metres…boss reckoned this was about as wide as you can go,alone.

commonrail:
What’s the maximum width,before you need a second man/■■■■■■?
I done one at 3.45 metres…boss reckoned this was about as wide as you can go,alone.

assets.publishing.service.gov.u … ds.pdfMore than 2.9 metres, but not
exceeding to 3.5 metres overall
width
• Two clear working days notice to Police (C&U schedule 12, para 4)
• Marker boards front and rear (C&U Schedule 12, para 3)
• Additional lights required during hours of darkness or poor visibility.
More than 3.5 metres, but not
exceeding to 4.3 metres overall
width
• Two clear working days notice to Police (C&U schedule 12, para 4).
• Attendant required (C&U Schedule 12, para 2).
• Marker boards front and rear (C&U Schedule 12, para 3).
• Additional lights required during hours of darkness or poor visibility.

Looks correct. Up to 3.5m, notify police, and markers. Above 3.5m 2nd man as well. Above 4.3m…get the angle grinder out and reduce the width of the load!

All good then :sunglasses: