What time will you be tipped?

Every day I get rung up and asked this. Usually I’ve not even loaded. Today was even better as I was even helped to plan my drop order by them telling me to do Swindon before Kent (currently in Oxford). I’d never have thought of that! Grrrrrr.

So what do you answer for if it is the same stupid question every day?

I don’t answer the phone

I was given a phone by a boss and didn’t answer it until I was good and ready. I did answer one day and it was his girl friend (bit on the side). Well I didn’t know who it was so I gave it to his wife. He didn’t give me the phone back, can’t think why. :slight_smile:

My planning office can be a little strange as they don’t appear to talk to each other so when on a 3hour tip I inevitably get 3-4 calls from different members of the pointy shoe brigade asking ‘how long I’m going to be’.
My old response to this was: ‘about 5 inches’, but that’s got boring now so I just mute the phone after the first call and play a little game of how many missed calls can I get in an hour.

One of our planners who I’ll call Roger (as that’s his name) is the go to scapegoat for all of us if we forget to ring in.
So when another planner screams ‘does anybody know’ it’s a case of ‘yes I told Roger’.

It’s always the drivers fault at some point anyway.

I’ve got a work phone which is dead handy because the office haven’t got me logged as a contact on that number and instead use my personal phone to call me which I ignore while I can get away with it/before they realise lol

As for tipping… currently in Sainsbury’s Rye Park so could be a while then got Ocado somewhere down this way so could again be done time :unamused:

I go wolsley distribution centre in lemington spa about once a month . Have have a booking in time. The bloke/woman on the desk is very precise. She rights on paper work arrival time can be 9.58. 9. 59. 9. 43. There very exact for some reason. . One day was there spot on 10.00 was told I’m late my arrival time on her paper work was10.01. What a jobs worth.

Or when they phone whilst your having a crap: Where are you…having a crap…phone goes dead…even if im having a coffee they get the same answer..also get em asking where i am, so tell em to look at the tracker, or why have i stopped..how long before i arrive, or how long before im tipped…just gives em something to do i suppose…its chase, chase, chase… Another cracker is: Shall i book you a ferry…Yeah…next call…why did you miss the ferry…cos you booked it too early, and i`m parked up…ran out of time…ha ha

Give them an exaggerated or nonsense time. If they ring you at 10am asking when you’ll be tipped, say “about 3 o’clock I reckon”. Not only does it wind them up, but it encourages them to make a few despearate phone calls to the customer tipping you, so now it’s between them.

I just tell them.been in office said have wait my turn be as quick as they can. I once asked politely said I’m booked in for 10 it’s now almost 11 will I be long as have another job booked in at 12. The woman replied booking in times are just a guide. It’s industry standard and you need to allow 2 hrs leway. after that your entitled to complain . But there just a guide so we can plan things

The option of being paid by the hour is there if you want it (employed drivers) but nearly all choose PPL, the office know drivers will go all out with no ■■■■■■■ about to get tipped and onto the next so the chasing doesnt really exist at our place plus all the office staff are ex drivers which helps as they all know the score…