Mercedes Atego starting problem

Hi lads, not sure if any of you lot can help, but I thought I’d give it a try.
When I get in the truck first thing in the morning it starts first time every time. If I turn it off after its been running for an hour or so it won’t start. I keep getting the word CODE coming up on the dash when I turn the key. It will turn over but not start. If I keep turning the ignition on and off about 50 times the word CODE will eventually disappear and it starts.
Any idea what this could be?

Try taking the key out of the ignition completely and then give it another go.

We get it sometimes on the fleet that we drive.

Can’t help with the lorry stuff but I’d like to say that “Dai hard” is one of the best usernames I’ve ever seen! I salute you Sir. :smiley:

Dai Hard:
Hi lads, not sure if any of you lot can help, but I thought I’d give it a try.
When I get in the truck first thing in the morning it starts first time every time. If I turn it off after its been running for an hour or so it won’t start. I keep getting the word CODE coming up on the dash when I turn the key. It will turn over but not start. If I keep turning the ignition on and off about 50 times the word CODE will eventually disappear and it starts.
Any idea what this could be?

From my recollection of old Axors, it sounds like the immobiliser may not recognise the key for some reason and thinks that it is not the correct one. Are you turning it to the first click and allowing it to do its checks prior to turning the key to start? That was something else that would throw up a non-start if you were too quick with it.

I had an 06 atego that would do this. The response from the Merc agent was turn the key slower, you’re not giving it enough time to read the chip in the key

Thanks for all the replies lads. Managed to find the spare key and its solved the problem.
I can now go for a wander on my 45 :smiley: