Clarifying the 48 hour average rule

As the title says…

Trampers who max there hours three 15 hr shifts and two 13 hr shifts on a weekly basis, surely they must then at some point only work 30 or so hours a week to bring there average down to 48?

How does this rule work?
Is it any 17 week period or set calendar dates?
Would it show as an infringement on a tacho card if 49+ was averaged?

I was talking to an old mate of mine the other day. He said he was doing 65+ hours per week by splitting his daily rest (paid breaks) and lots and lots of poa.

Not my cup of tea, but each to their own. We have trunk runs of different lengths, if our hours are creeping up, we get the short runs for a week. Still get paid for 10 hours so we don’t really mind.

You can do 48 hours working time a week averaged over the reference period.

POA and breaks don’t count towards the working time.

By booking lots of POA and break it’s possible to do a lot of hours without going over the 48 hours average.

Sent from my mobile.

Booking POA and breaks etc then working longer hrs yet still keeping below the 48hr average shows exactly what the WTD is:

Pile of PISH!!!

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

Big Truck:
Booking POA and breaks etc then working longer hrs yet still keeping below the 48hr average shows exactly what the WTD is:

Pile of PISH!!!

Couldn’t agree more ^^^

Say I have Big Truck and Fred double manning on a trip to Sweden. They leave Salford on Monday to load in Carlisle, then go across to Immingham for the 04.00 ferry to Gothenburg. BT drives up and has he gets out of the cab, Fred hurts his arm. BT loads and drives to Immingham.

Tuesday, on the ferry at midnight, sail.

Weds, arrive Gothenburg, BT drives 4 hours, delivers, drives back to Gothenburg for the eve sailing.

Thursday ferry back to UK

Friday arrive back to UK. BT drives to Salford and they knock off about 04.00.

The second man has not worked at all that week, though they will each get 54 hours.

Daft.

albion:

Big Truck:

Pile of PISH!!!

Couldn’t agree more ^^^

Say I have Big Truck and Fred double manning on a trip to Sweden. They leave Salford on Monday to load in Carlisle, then go across to Immingham for the 04.00 ferry to Gothenburg. BT drives up and has he gets out of the cab, Fred hurts his arm. BT loads and drives to Immingham.

Weds, arrive Gothenburg, BT drives 4 hours, delivers, drives back to Gothenburg for the eve sailing.

The second man has not worked at all that week, though they will each get 54 hours.

Daft.

Some would say that neither one has done very much!
But, to tortuously mix metaphors, we can all smell sour grapes when we hear them.[emoji3]

And on topic, WTD can be a pointless box ticking exercise, with little relevance to the real world.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

Franglais:

albion:

Big Truck:

Pile of PISH!!!

Couldn’t agree more ^^^

Daft.

Some would say that neither one has done very much!
But, to tortuously mix metaphors, we can all smell sour grapes when we hear them.[emoji3]

And on topic, WTD can be a pointless box ticking exercise, with little relevance to the real world.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

Other man would have worked around 22 hours.

It annoys me that POA applies to a second man, it just seems ridiculous and stretches the idea of free to dispose of your own time. How does that work when you are in a moving truck. But for anyone looking to max their hours, it’s ideal.

Has there ever been an employee that has been prosecuted for a breach of WTD rules in court■■?

AFAIA,
All 525 drivers at my firm vol sign the WTD “opt out” as it is just a pile of PISH and saves any unnecessary ballix by us or Management.[emoji41][emoji106]

albion:
It annoys me that POA applies to a second man, it just seems ridiculous and stretches the idea of free to dispose of your own time.

That is the rule for REST not BREAK

Break is simply not working or driving

Does the ‘15 min break every 6 hours’ still apply when on POA?

Example:
Start 6am
POA til 12am

Would a 15 minute break still need to be taken by 12, or does POA ‘pause’ your day as you’re not working?

ROG:

albion:
It annoys me that POA applies to a second man, it just seems ridiculous and stretches the idea of free to dispose of your own time.

How are DVSA getting away with prosecuting drivers whilst on bay
(tacho on bed) but sitting drinking coffee/On phones in drivers waiting/“sleeping” area@ Tesco Dc Livingston??

HOP 2 IT:
Does the ‘15 min break every 6 hours’ still apply when on POA?

Example:
Start 6am
POA til 12am

Would a 15 minute break still need to be taken by 12, or does POA ‘pause’ your day as you’re not working?

POA pauses the WTD clock

Big Truck:

ROG:

albion:

(tacho on bed) but sitting drinking coffee/On phones in drivers waiting/“sleeping” area@ Tesco Dc Livingston??

Because it is in Scotland and they use the make it up as you go along branch of DVSA :smiley:

Mazzer2:

Big Truck:

ROG:

albion:

Because it is in Scotland and they use the make it up as you go along branch of DVSA :smiley:

[emoji3][emoji106]
Time somebody told them:
“See you in front of his Worship”!!!

Big Truck:

ROG:

albion:

Really? Or just more rdc chatter?

Big Truck:
Has there ever been an employee that has been prosecuted for a breach of WTD rules in court■■?

AFAIA,
All 525 drivers at my firm vol sign the WTD “opt out” as it is just a pile of PISH and saves any unnecessary ballix by us or Management.[emoji41][emoji106]

I wasn’t aware you could opt out. I know you can opt out of the “10 hour max per night” rule, but not the 48 hour average.

Captain Caveman 76:

Big Truck:

AFAIA,

I wasn’t aware you could opt out. I know you can opt out of the “10 hour max per night” rule, but not the 48 hour average.

There is no opt out of the 48 hour week, as far as the RT(WT)R are concerned you can opt out of the night time limit and that’s it.

A lot of people may think that POA is nonsense and while I’ve never used it there are a lot of drivers who use it to their own advantage.

The RT(WT)R 2005 is probably the most despised bit of legislation the EU has forced on UK drivers, but like it or not it’s still law and will remain law for some considerable time to come.

tachograph:
There is no opt out of the 48 hour week, as far as the RT(WT)R are concerned you can opt out of the night time limit and that’s it.

A lot of people may think that POA is nonsense and while I’ve never used it there are a lot of drivers who use it to their own advantage.

The RT(WT)R 2005 is probably the most despised bit of legislation the EU has forced on UK drivers, but like it or not it’s still law and will remain law for some considerable time to come.

Like every rule, you use it to your advantage.

“Sorry boss, need an early finish Friday because my hours are creeping up”.

Captain Caveman 76:

tachograph:

Like every rule, you use it to your advantage.

“Sorry boss, need an early finish Friday because my hours are creeping up”.

I couldn’t agree more :smiley:

You can fully opt out of the normal WTD but not the drivers WTD