Impatience or.....

…Selfish, what is the difference?
I no longer drive LGV in the UK, as of last Friday and this was one of the reasons for giving it all up, that and I now have a decent home in Portugal and need time, to off load some of the chattels and materialistic crap that I thought would make my life better over here :laughing:

H&S stuff got too much as well, in fact the whole of the UK has in my opinion become untenable for anyone with a modicum of common sense…Sad really.

But how do you feel when other drivers treat you in such a way, just how long can you shrug it off for?
I got to the end of my tether after only 9 short years and the last seven of those have been only 74 days a year…

What are your coping strategies?

I visualise a throat punch tbh Att, failing that I just laugh and walk on by. I’m here for a good time, not a long time has always been my approach to life and I’m adamant that stress will not get me.

I let most things wash over me. With only a year left before retirement I’m damned if a few truculent people are going to stress me out. And, you are right, H&S bull manure and the sheer number of bad drivers sharing the road network with us has hit an all time high. But I’m not going to fall foul to getting wound up about it, one heart attack was enough!

I too let it wash over me and I never get annoyed whatever is chucked at me it just ain’t worth the stress, I basically plod along religiously sticking to all speed limits and no more than 50 on a motorway and enjoy my day more. I find it really amusing watching people desperately trying to carve one another up just to get somewhere a minute or two earlier.

I watched with bemusement as a Halfords decker overtook me on a bend as I was going 49 in a 50 on a s/c and almost having a head on with a van, there was a d/c 2 minutes away ffs, the stress he must be under to have the need to drive like that !!

I don’t get stressed. I expect other drivers (of all classes from truck to bus/coach to car/van) to be idiots so I’ve already dealt with most of it in my approach already. Even central London doesn’t bother me.

Doesn’t bother me because most of my shift will be spent in my cab on my own.

H&S doesn’t bother me, I’m paid by the hour. The more there is the safer I am, the more I get paid to do the same work because of the extra time it adds to the job. My opinion of H&S might be driven by the fact I had to have a spinal operation in my early 20s because I ignored H&S, knackered the disc above the two that were operated on whilst truck driving because I ignored H&S. It is inoperable because of previous op and I’m suffering the consequences of ignoring H&S for the rest of my life.

If it was as simple as using common sense then the rules that have been put in place wouldn’t have had to have been because the accident that was the result of them coming into force wouldn’t have happened because people had used common sense. The amount of H&S there is at firms is as a result of people NOT using common sense and there are a lot of low IQ braindead halfwits driving trucks. Nothing is put in place until there’s been an incident.

Times are a changin’ - if morons, queues and heavy traffic bother you it’s time to go - sorry but it ain’t gonna get better anytime soon.

The traffic nowadays is unbelievable compared to 30 years ago but that’s just the way it is.

Chucked in there’s drug driving now as well as the boozing fraternity.

It’s just the way it is - either ■■■■ it up or ship out.

Heavy traffic and queues - what the hell I’m paid by the hour - and morons? Sent to entertain us I’m afraid and we can always have a good moan about them on here and if we are lucky watch a vid of them making a fool of themselves.

There’s guys I work with who get mega stressed about the slightest hold up - well that’s how it is now so if it doesn’t suit you anymore it’s time to move on.

Just a couple of points. Re above post, I think traffic flows much better now than 30 years ago. Ok, in the case of an accident theres usually mayhem with big tailbacks, but back in the 80s roadworks on motorways meant massive tailbacks every day. They just did 3 lanes into two…then two into one. It was awful.
Also, when you get ambushed by an H & S zealot who makes you comply with daft rules, remember it wasnt him who invented them it was some guy in a suit somewhere, and hes got no choice but to enforce them. Hes getting watched on a camera and has to toe the line. Dont take it out on him. Chill out.

cheekymonkey:
Also, when you get ambushed by an H & S zealot who makes you comply with daft rules, remember it wasnt him who invented them it was some guy in a suit somewhere, and hes got no choice but to enforce them. Hes getting watched on a camera and has to toe the line. Dont take it out on him. Chill out.

Sometimes the types enforcing HS, especially rdcs act like complete ■■■■■■■■■■

cheekymonkey:
Just a couple of points. Re above post, I think traffic flows much better now than 30 years ago. Ok, in the case of an accident theres usually mayhem with big tailbacks, but back in the 80s roadworks on motorways meant massive tailbacks every day. They just did 3 lanes into two…then two into one. It was awful.

Indeed and I always made an effort to convey that I understood that, regarding the H&S…You never shoot the messenger, however you can enable them to relay your real thoughts and feelings regarding it, I do not want to be treated as if I am 5 years of age, I was done with that when I was 5!

Regarding the congestion, I was out on the bike today and had to undertake other bikers, who feel that 70 mph on the outside lane, with nothing on the inside is acceptable :unamused: I won`t mention all the cars that feel it is acceptable to do the same from junctions and roundabouts :unamused:

No longer enjoyable, time to chuck it all in, ignorance now rules the roads in the UK.

Regarding those who have said it is time to chuck it all in…If you had bothered to read the thread, you would have realised that I did that last Friday…Had enough and of the country.

I wish you all the best in Portugal, I hope everything works out for you.
A friend lives there and he’s loving it.

cheekymonkey:

Generally speaking, yes we have more bypasses and such like but living in the central south the M3 southbound is at a standstill every evening which stacks back onto the bottom of the 34 and the M27 from Eastleigh to Fareham has problems pretty much every day - and lets not get started on the A31 at Ringwood where daily queues of one to two miles is now the accepted norm.

And all we get is top quality jibber jabber from Highways England although to be fair a consultation is taking place about the A31 problem.

Conor:
Doesn’t bother me because most of my shift will be spent in my cab on my own.

H&S doesn’t bother me, I’m paid by the hour. The more there is the safer I am, the more I get paid to do the same work because of the extra time it adds to the job. My opinion of H&S might be driven by the fact I had to have a spinal operation in my early 20s because I ignored H&S, knackered the disc above the two that were operated on whilst truck driving because I ignored H&S. It is inoperable because of previous op and I’m suffering the consequences of ignoring H&S for the rest of my life.

If it was as simple as using common sense then the rules that have been put in place wouldn’t have had to have been because the accident that was the result of them coming into force wouldn’t have happened because people had used common sense. The amount of H&S there is at firms is as a result of people NOT using common sense and there are a lot of low IQ braindead halfwits driving trucks. Nothing is put in place until there’s been an incident.

Mixed feelings on H&S, there is no way I ignore it as you did, but I am selective.
There is no way in hell I would climb up on top of a high load to roll out a sheet, as I used to every day, or roll out a slot sheet on the roof of a wet slippery chip liner, or swing off tilt roof.bars like Tarzan :smiley: …again as I used to, or similar unsafe and derogatory to your health type practices.
I’m older, wiser, more sense now, …but apart from that I would not be allowed to because of H&S, and I fully agree in those type of (genuine) cases, no argument.

On the other hand, just as one example, why do I need to sit in some cold uncomfortable shack on a hard seat, that stinks, and beside the resident knobhead who insists on talking to everybody, getting ■■■■■■ off and stressed out, when I could have an hour’s real rest on my bunk, …especially when I have handed in my keys, put a suzie lock on, chocked my wheels…or all 3. :open_mouth: to the point where neither Dynamo nor David Blaine could not pull the ■■■■ truck off the bay. :unamused:
Surely H&S becomes a paradox in that sort of situation…, it’s both healthier and safer to do what in that case is prohibited.

As for the idiots you mention, make them conform, I couldn’t give a ■■■■ if they all end up as cripples if they can’t perceive danger, but just leave the ones with common sense to adapt to individual situations, instead of a one size fits all rule, covering every single potential scenario from slippery floors to plagues of ■■■■ locusts, thus making the job 10x harder than it should be, …or more bizzarely the opposite intention to the original format of H&S when it all kicked off. :bulb:

Tin hat on Conor (once again :wink: ) for daring to disagree with you.

I used to get arsed off with idiot drivers and their dangerous actions, now I just let it go over my head and think if that person has just done something stupid to me then the chances are they are doing it many times and the next time they may not be so lucky.

Freight Dog:

cheekymonkey:

Sometimes the types enforcing HS, especially rdcs act like complete [zb].

Yes, but so do many drivers. Those who think they are a lot smarter than they actually are, the cocky know-it-alls and the knuckle-dragging morons who cannot string together a sentence without swearing, are highly-strung about everything and who believe that delivering a load of Cornflakes to a Tesco RDC is similar in significance to launching a Space Shuttle. There is one on here who frequents the owner-driver form who appears to vastly over-think the act of moving goods from point A to point B. It’s not difficult.

I have always believed that many security guards act in the manner that they do because they have become heartily ■■■■■■■■■■ with being sworn at, shouted at and generally treated like dirt by dim-witted morons driving lorries. One evening several years ago I saw one visiting driver do exactly that to a guard who would not say boo to a goose. It was embarrassing,

Drivers with a chip on the shoulder (which is lots of them) often believe that they are being singled-out for bad treatment from security guards, HSE people and the like. The truth is more like these people have dealt with too many brain-dead knuckleheads who think that they always know best, and now respond in kind.

Olog Hai:
. There is one on here who frequents the owner-driver form who appears to vastly over-think the act of moving goods from point A to point B. It’s not difficult.

Sounds intriguing :laughing:

Suppose. I was always pleasant. Just suprised at the very occasional nob . Takes effort to be an arse hole to someone friendly :confused: :laughing:

Olog Hai:

Freight Dog:

cheekymonkey:

Sometimes the types enforcing HS, especially rdcs act like complete [zb].

Yes, but so do many drivers. Those who think they are a lot smarter than they actually are, the cocky know-it-alls and the knuckle-dragging morons who cannot string together a sentence without swearing, are highly-strung about everything and who believe that delivering a load of Cornflakes to a Tesco RDC is similar in significance to launching a Space Shuttle. There is one on here who frequents the owner-driver form who appears to vastly over-think the act of moving goods from point A to point B. It’s not difficult.

I have always believed that many security guards act in the manner that they do because they have become heartily ■■■■■■■■■■ with being sworn at, shouted at and generally treated like dirt by dim-witted morons driving lorries. One evening several years ago I saw one visiting driver do exactly that to a guard who would not say boo to a goose. It was embarrassing,

Drivers with a chip on the shoulder (which is lots of them) often believe that they are being singled-out for bad treatment from security guards, HSE people and the like. The truth is more like these people have dealt with too many brain-dead knuckleheads who think that they always know best, and now respond in kind.

Got to agree mate, the way you are treated is determined by how you approach and treat other people.
(Also Co bosses can not grasp the concept that you reap what you sow, in other words treat me like a ■■■■, and you get the same reply off me)
I speak to people in lowly jobs in the same way I speak to anybody, …with common respect and manners.
On other hand, if somebody talks down to me, I kick off, I don’t care who (or what) tf he is.