Building sites

I have seen a job advertised for 4 on 4 off tramping which I like the look of but the advert says must be willing to deliver to building sites.

I have only done fridges so have no idea what it entails but the fact the advert specifically lists it makes me think there is a catch.

Any advice appreciated

Mud at a guess could be an issue, especially keeping cab clean since its tramping. Maybe that’d put some off?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

You/ your cab will get dirty.
You’ll be maneuvering in spaces not really meant for lorries.
Building sites generally keep office hours.

harrawaffa:
You/ your cab will get dirty.
You’ll be maneuvering in spaces not really meant for lorries.
Building sites generally keep office hours.

Just about sums it up.

And you get stuck a lot.

Off roading in an artic is fun though.

If you are tramping you wont have local knowledge. Delivering to places that are not on the map or sat-nav can take a bit longer than you would think.

alamcculloch:
If you are tramping you wont have local knowledge. Delivering to places that are not on the map or sat-nav can take a bit longer than you would think.

Not being silly, how would I find it? Am I likely to get some directions rather than a post code?

Thanks for all the comments and advice above

And the dust when the mud dries out, it gets everywhere. Even had it blowing in through the vents.

Could be that they are saying you wont be driving from a to b then sitting on your arse for 3 hours.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Google maps.

You can usually see a field,somewhere in the vicinity.
This will probably be your drop :smiley:
Sites with a certain route in will probably have instructions on the paperwork.
A contact number may also be present.
One of your work mates may have already done the job

I do a fair bit to building sites. If new build sat nav won’t know it. Try use Google maps they seem bit more upto date. As mentioned expect to get muddy maybe invest in pair of rigger boots.
Always try get a contact number.
And also once your say less then 3 miles away from.site look on lampposts railings etc for cardboard signs attached some are obvious some or so small. Will say site traffic this way . And follow them. Some sites are usually well signed big signs etc Others are just a small arrow …so where possible try keep a look.out for anything attached to a lamppost or railings

Look for mud on the road…also

be prepared to go through plenty of weight limits or spend time chasing phone numbers and looking on google and as above following the mud !

And if tramping take lots spare clothes .plenty shower stuff. Ok not the best or cleanest but I’ve found most motorway services have showers that are free to use get key from wh Smith.

Bit of a strange one 4 on 4 off as most building sites don’t operate at weekends so I’d say it isn’t all building site work.

kcrussell25:

alamcculloch:

Not being silly, how would I find it? Am I likely to get some directions rather than a post code?

Thanks for all the comments and advice above

When I was doing bulding site work, the drivers would tell each other where they were and how to get there and also tell the office, we also normally delivered to the same gangs, either installing concrete floors or steel work, so they’d keep us and the office informed.
we went into many of the big building sites regularly so you got yo know them, the one or 2 houses could be more of a problem as only a couple of trucks would deliver there.

However it was a small company where everybody knew each other and their cab phone number.

I quite enjoyed it, a bit more of a challenge than getting to your average RDC, especially when it was mixed up with a bit of collecting round wood from forests.

Our trucks weren’t flat floor, they were Renault Premiums, so you could pretty much keep the mud in the drivers footwell, and clean it out when it had dried, I didn’t cross the cab with boots on, when it was dry weather dust was a problem, didn’t matter how gentle you were with the throttle, the angle of the exhaust seemed to kick up plumes of the stuff, soon learned to keep the windows closed, kept the worst out but still get it coming through the vents, keeping them closed meant it built up behind them and then came in when opened, you just have to settle for plenty of dusting. :laughing:

xichrisxi:
Bit of a strange one 4 on 4 off as most building sites don’t operate at weekends so I’d say it isn’t all building site work.

I always thought this but u would be amazed how much site work happens over a weekend such as tower cranes going up and cabin movements and there’s always stuff to be trunked into other depots too u may do some London work too and work in big cities as it seems to happen at weekends as less busy .The company I work for always seem to have weekend work available for the shift lads and overtime for Monday - Friday drivers . I’ve done building site work for last 4 years mainly delivering Precast concrete and I must admit I’m not sure I’d go back to general or rdc u will ever love it or hate just be prepared for plenty of blindside reversing and tight place and the occasional muddy site and also the occasional health and safety ■■■■ but that’s as when it suits on some sites !

You on for explore greggo?

xichrisxi:

It isn’t. It was just the way the advert said must be willing to do building sites made me think there is a catch. Which appears to be mud and dust :smiley:

Thanks to everyone for their comments. It does sound a bit different to the trunking I am doing now

commonrail:
You on for explore greggo?

You have guessed that 1 right !

Used to pull a bit out of there when I was on Taylor’s.
Sound enough