Biggest challenges as a trucker

Hi all,

I’m newly joined here on the forum and I was wondering what are the three largest problems that you face in your job? I would be curious to hear if we can find some common themes and share suggestions for how to solve them.

I would say finding a good reason to do it in 2018 is more of a question . :laughing:

^Sarcasm :grimacing:

Which tunes to play. Jobs a piece of ■■■■ mate.

The job itself is easy enough.

The main thing that make this job anywhere near taxing is dealing with other humans (I use that word in the loosest possible sense).

You will rapidly learn how to keep a straight face (maybe the odd eye roll) when faced with idiots be it “goods in/despatch” chimps or 17 year old office bods with both the planning and communication skills of an amoeba.

Sadly this also includes RDC waiting rooms. I used to think the “out of hours/chalk mark on the tyres” story was a joke. I have genuinely heard it at least 10 times usually from a plank who claims to be on his way to Madrid/Czech/Timbuktu after this drop despite the little blue operators disc in the window saying otherwise

Not forgetting the classic I only do this job as a favour/pocket money/to pay for the Porsche.

Can you tell I spent 7 hours in Tesco, Dirft yesterday?

Despite this I’ve worked with some genuinely interesting and top people. They just seem to be getting rarer.

The job can really ■■■■ your body up. Yes, physical driving jobs do exist but for the most part you spend far too much time in this job sat on your backside & it doesn’t do your body any favours at all. Many many drivers will admit to putting on weight and/or back problems as a result of doing this job.

Trying to get through to the missus who always wants to do things differently…mostly just up…saves abuse and a kicking…

1 - Which sat nav to buy
2 - Trying to find out what Stobarts are like to work for
3 - Worrying myself to an ulcer about what dvsa will do to me if I go 2 minutes over my drive time

1. Finding a job that’s not at least 60+ hours per week
  2. Finding a decent hourly rate
  3. Other drivers

For me,it’s our crumbling roads network…coupled with the ever decreasing standard of driving.

If your on night trunking it’s road closures for me.
Getting around the network on a night is a joke sometimes.

1. The detrimental effect on my physical health
  2. Having long periods to sit and “think” can mean I fixate on small, trivial problems
  3. Regularly having to wait 4 or 5 hours for a warehouse (Tesco mainly) to tip a dozen pallets and knowing that if I say anything it’ll only make matters worse

Telt:

1. The detrimental effect on my physical health
  2. Having long periods to sit and “think” can mean I fixate on small, trivial problems
  3. Regularly having to wait 4 or 5 hours for a warehouse (Tesco mainly) to tip a dozen pallets and knowing that if I say anything it’ll only make matters worse

My mate used to carry a copy of War and Peace, and ask if he would have time to read it.

Sadly, most of the people he directed the joke at were too thick to get it!

Getting out of bed at 2:30am is a challenge even if its only once every couple of weeks.

Surviving the antics of my fellow pros on a daily basis…

Poor planning/hard to achieve routes.

Every other idiot on the road.

Power tripping security guards though a fair few I’ve met are sound.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Agency office staff who wear pointy shoes and have keys hanging from a belt that leave you sitting in a corridor while they nip to the tuck van for a falafel wrap,then think it’s ok to interview you while eating it. :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: Welcome my son

I don’t see any challenges being mentioned - just annoyances.

Good stuff! Keep them coming

@kjw21, @Telt: Interesting comments around waiting around at Tesco. Why does this happen so often? Anything that can be done about it?

@IronEddie: How do you plan your routes? Do you work as an independent?

@Telt, @rob22888: Do you have any tips for dealing with physical health/weight/mental health while on the road?

@EzyDriver: How do you go about findings jobs that pays decently and is not 60+ hours?

Regarding the long tipping times - There is already something in place - it’s called charging demurrage (I’m not being patronising and apologise if you already know this).

This is basically an hourly charge that is levied against the company for taking an unnecessarily long time to unload. Usually applicable after a certain period of say, 2 hours.

Unfortunately it’s very and I mean VERY rare that any haulier ever actually charges this. Usually because they won’t stand up for fear of losing work.

We are in a weird industry where the customer makes the terms and conditions instead of the service/goods provider.

I.E imagine going to Sky and saying I’m only going to pay you £25 for the full package not the full £80 it warrants and by the way I’m only paying that £25 after 90 days from the end of this month and so on so forth.
Oh and when you come and fit the dish if you are 15 mins early or late I’m going to refuse to have it fitted on that day. And I may charge you for not fitting it.

Also - if I haven’t room in the front of my house for the dish and the box or if I’m having something else fitted at that moment - your fitter is going to have to use his van as storage until I can be arsed to make room or open the door and he will have to wait. If he doesn’t I’ll make sure you never come again.

Now thank me for allowing you to provide a service where I have dictated every variable.

Great isn’t it?