Am I a real Trucker?

I don’t have much appreciation for trucks, it’s just a tool. I don’t like number plates with my nickname, I can’t stand extra lights, I don’t care what I will be driving, all that matters if it is safe enough and the money in my bank account.

I am like a ■■■■■■, pay me good money and I will do anything, cages, farms, you name it, even though I don’t really like general haulage because usually involves extra lights, number plates with nicknames and guys complaining someone else is using “Their” truck.

I don’t do full time jobs with companies (names like stobart, downtown, gregory, maritime makes me sick). I am ltd and love it. Especially when the paye brigade lose their heads. I actually enjoy agency work. Registered with 7 but only usually work for three of them.

I usually don’t enjoy talking about work. Especially with other truckers. I just avoid all that RDC talk.

I don’t work for pennies. First job 2nd week after passing class 1 was £11h, I was not very happy with that but had to do for 3 months until I learned to reverse. Dumped that after 3 months and now I don’t work for less than £14, 14.5. Like most truckers I don’t think £11 is a good money.

I don’t do day rates and salary.

I like sat navs and my tom tom truckers has been very reliable.

I can’t never understand all the bs that comes with night out and I avoid them.

I am on this for the money (don’t laugh). Much more than I used to get. I do earn good but driving will be my back up and soon I will be looking to step up for something better. Better hours especially.

Am I a real Trucker?

I was the same tbh,came into trucking because it seemed a much easier job and better paid than my last…i was right on both accounts.
Some come into driving for the love of it,some because it’s an relatively easy job that is well paid with the right company.

Yet you visit and post on a truckers forum in your free time…

the maoster:

Whatever you doing you have to do well. I do read this forum time to time, it helped me a lot to get the necessary information.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

:smiley:

the maoster:

Lorry driver or professional driver but truck trucks or truckers Not a word I use :smiley:

Not casting ‘nastirtiums’ :smiley: on you mate as I don’t know you.
However the state of mind you describe usually is that of a car driver with a Class 1 licence who does not go ‘all the way’’ with the job.
You may be an even better driver than me, I don’t know, but usually those guys are the type who keep you out, don’t let you in, don’t flash you in (dodgy subject on here) and are just in it to get finished and home in their …wait for it ‘‘Own Bed’’ .

In the old days truckers were 2nd or 3rd generation, a vocation, they saw it as a way of life,.and wanted to do nowt else from childhood,.seen being away all week + as ‘‘part of the job’’…aka a dying breed.

Now whether today a modern trucker/driver/lorryist/ or steerer, or whatever your preference is, is as you describe,.rather than how I do, is open to opinion.
As I said mate, no offence intended, not after a ruck, just playing with the cards you dealt to me. :bulb:

Btw for the record…I also avoid extra lights, shiny tanks, and rdc bullcrap like aids. :smiley:

robroy:

Punchy Dan:

the maoster:

Lorry driver or professional driver but truck trucks or truckers Not a word I use :smiley:

However the state of mind you describe usually is that of a car driver with a Class 1 licence who does not go ‘all the way’’ with the job.
You may be an even better driver than me, I don’t know, but usually those guys are the type who keep you out, don’t let you in, don’t flash you in (dodgy subject on here) and are just in it to get finished and home in their …wait for it ‘‘Own Bed’’ .

In the old days truckers were 2nd or 3rd generation, a vocation, they saw it as a way of life,.and wanted to do nowt else from childhood,.seen being away all week + as ‘‘part of the job’’…aka a dying breed.

Now whether today a modern trucker/driver/lorryist/ or steerer is as you describe,.rather than how I do, is open to opinion.
As I said mate, no offence intended, not after a ruck, just playing with the cards you dealt to me. :bulb:

I don’t think this reply is for me.
I do let people in, I quite like flashing other truckers and I do my job properly.

For a newish driver I do ok. Accident free, never rush (reason I dont work for day rate) and because most of agency drivers don’t care I usually stand out and always get asked back.

Not that I am the best driver in the world, just do the basic, come in on time, have my plastic bag next to me for my rubbish, phone the office if I am delayed, when empty etc, fill up before I leave, really, basic stuff for the money I get and how well treated I am.

For a lorrist I do well, I don’t like to see guys struggling to get on the bay and usually go there and offer to watch for them(as I newbie I needed a lo of help)

I am not saying I despair the job, I enjoy it. Easiest job I have had. I just have to be honest, I don’t have the passion a lot of guys seems to have, especially for the truck itself. I am not a big fan of transport.

Are you asking what a “Real Trucker” is?
100 lorry drivers would give 101 answers to that. There is no one template for a Real Trucker.
I kid myself that Im a real trucker, but any who are different to me arent automatically disqualified. Maybe its easier to look at who isnt a Real Trucker?

What would disqualify someone then?
Someone doing it as a hobby? Not needing to turn a profit. I wouldnt extend that to someone who could do better paid work, but chooses to do a job they like, rather than one they hate. Someone who does it purely for cash? They hate the job but cant do anything else. Not necessary to love the job to be a trucker, but be relaxed about doing it.
Someone who is really bad as a professional trucker? That is as either as a driver, or as a worker generally. A person who through their attitude or ability is a liability rather than an asset.

Other than the above, so long as you work driving trucks for a living, without hating it, and are competent, you`re a “Real Trucker”*

*Does this affect you? Could you be a “Real Trucker”? If so please ring our helpline for assistance.

I used to do it for reasons other than just the money, when I started it was the heyday of continental work and I’ve seen so many places I would never have seen if my only chance to travel abroad was a once-yearly holiday. Now I just do it for the money and I’ve pretty much lost all interest in the job, although to be fair I’ve never had any great interest in trucks in themselves. I’ve managed to sort things out so I only have to work six months a year and that’s more than enough for me, I’d never drive a truck again if I had my way.

I’m no longer a ‘trucker’ although I still drive for a living.

I run my own van on same day, time critical loads.

Do I care what job I get sent to? No.
Do I care where I get sent?
Not really, unless it’s central London.
Do I care what a load pays?
Of course, I’m self employed. But, if it turns a profit, I’ll do it.
Do I do nights out?
Yes, but I spend them in a hotel.
Do I miss driving trucks?
No.

Bino10:

robroy:

Punchy Dan:

the maoster:

Now whether today a modern trucker/driver/lorryist/ or steerer is as you describe,.rather than how I do, is open to opinion.

I don’t think this reply is for me.
I do let people in, I quite like flashing other truckers and I do my job properly.

For a newish driver I do ok. Accident free, never rush (reason I dont work for day rate) and because most of agency drivers don’t care I usually stand out and always get asked back.

Not that I am the best driver in the world, just do the basic, come in on time, have my plastic bag next to me for my rubbish, phone the office if I am delayed, when empty etc, fill up before I leave, really, basic stuff for the money I get and how well treated I am.

For a lorrist I do well, I don’t like to see guys struggling to get on the bay and usually go there and offer to watch for them(as I newbie I needed a lo of help)

I am not saying I despair the job, I enjoy it. Easiest job I have had. I just have to be honest, I don’t have the passion a lot of guys seems to have, especially for the truck itself. I am not a big fan of transport.

Ok mate, point taken, as I said I wasn’t casting aspersions, as I know nothing about you.
But as a driver…you sound ok to me.
I aint a big fan of transport either, but for different reasons to you…mainly disillusionment due to bad experiences in the job.
I just try and make it as bearable and enjoyable as possible, and I succeed in that.
I could not do day work however, that would do my swede in big time. :smiley:

Bino10:
I don’t have much appreciation for trucks, it’s just a tool. I don’t like number plates with my nickname, I can’t stand extra lights, I don’t care what I will be driving, all that matters if it is safe enough and the money in my bank account.

I am like a ■■■■■■, pay me good money and I will do anything, cages, farms, you name it, even though I don’t really like general haulage because usually involves extra lights, number plates with nicknames and guys complaining someone else is using “Their” truck.

I don’t do full time jobs with companies (names like stobart, downtown, gregory, maritime makes me sick). I am ltd and love it. Especially when the paye brigade lose their heads. I actually enjoy agency work. Registered with 7 but only usually work for three of them.

I usually don’t enjoy talking about work. Especially with other truckers. I just avoid all that RDC talk.

I don’t work for pennies. First job 2nd week after passing class 1 was £11h, I was not very happy with that but had to do for 3 months until I learned to reverse. Dumped that after 3 months and now I don’t work for less than £14, 14.5. Like most truckers I don’t think £11 is a good money.

I don’t do day rates and salary.

I like sat navs and my tom tom truckers has been very reliable.

I am on this for the money (don’t laugh). Much more than I used to get. I do earn good but driving will be my back up and soon I will be looking to step up for something better. Better hours especially.

Am I a real Trucker?

You sound just like one of those boorish twerps in an RDC…

I became a driver to see Europe. After 10 years and 33 countries in Europe and Asia, I’d had enough and changed careers, as beyond new places, there’s not much there really. It’s not the most challenging occupation, detrimental to your health and an intellectual conversation is not to be expected with many a colleague.

I haven’t really had the chance to drive a full-on tang-machine with half a ton on crap hanging from the cab, but it wouldn’t make much of a difference. There would have to be a direct thread of physical harm towards my loved ones to get me behind the wheel for a trunking job or some such mundane routine…

Am I a real Trucker?

No’‘’‘’‘’‘’‘’‘’ :grimacing:

Bino10:

Got to ask…what is this bs you speak about re nights out? All pretty normal run of the mill stuff really :confused:

AndrewG:

Bino10:

Got to ask…what is this bs you speak about re nights out? All pretty normal run of the mill stuff really :confused:

I agree Andrew…but that’s because we’re ‘real’ truckers. :sunglasses: :laughing:
:unamused:

AndrewG:

Bino10:

Lack of parking, no one wants you around, being clamped in lay bays, crap services, curtain slashers, many companies unwilling to pay for parking, late finish and not being able to get a space, a lot of places paying 22 for night out, gassing…oh I’ll stop here.

Bino10:

AndrewG:

Bino10:

Lack of parking, no one wants you around, being clamped in lay bays, crap services, curtain slashers, many companies unwilling to pay for parking, late finish and not being able to get a space, a lot of places paying 22 for night out, gassing…oh I’ll stop here.

Depends where you drive/where you choose to park, its not all like that, weigh the job up/time left/ approx distance to a destination ect and most of that can be avoided…

I can relate to everything that you have said barring the bit about in this for the money? I think everyone thinks that they are a real trucker if you simply just drive a truck. The difference between a good or a bad driver is really their experience and knowledge of the road. Some know the ins and outs of an engine and a gearbox, know model numbers of every manufacturer from old to new. That doesn’t make him or her a real trucker either, a real trucker simply climbs into his cab and gets on with it, doesn’t moan, goes anywhere accepts nights out and ignores the bs. The real trucker is actually in your head.

Yeah, it sure is plenty of times, not only in the UK, but loads of places in western/southern Europe. France/Spain/Belgium being the worst, at least in Italy you’d be safe in the laybys on the motorway, albeit without any amenities or comfort. Have only second hand experience of the UK.