Average speed cameras

Can they detect difference between. Hgv and a car.
As driving up from dundee to Aberdeen the a90 has miles of them. Is dual carriageway. So for a car it’s 70. In a truck it’s 50. But say I was to go along there flat out at 56. Would the camera recognise I’m a truck and as technically im speeding and issue a ticket. Or they just programmed for anything doing over 70?

With number plate recognition it’d be easy to work out what size the vehicle is wouldn’t it?
I don’t know if that is actually what happens but they’d be silly to miss that trick.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

I know for certain that at least some of the fixed cameras could do that years ago so it does seem unlikely that it is not built into the systems on the average speed ones. As franglais says, it would be strange if they missed that trick. I suppose you could try it :bulb: Let us know what happens if you do :laughing:

I haven’t tried it . But do see other wagons going flat out which made me wonder. And don’t even get me started on speed limit for coaches. If we have to do 56 they should as there carrying human beings.

Loops in the road, automatic systems and manual intervention will get you one way or another. [emoji14]

edd1974:
I haven’t tried it . But do see other wagons going flat out which made me wonder. And don’t even get me started on speed limit for coaches. If we have to do 56 they should as there carrying human beings.

Why is the maximum speed on motorways for coaches 70? They’re heavy goods vehicles really. Weigh, what 10/12 tonnes? Goods are humans like you say. In my opinion and personal experience they commonly seem to be driven badly. Normally worse for tailgating than Audi’s :laughing:

I went up/down flat lit to Fraserburgh 6months ago for load of fish and heard diddly.

“Send er forward and keep the toe on er”!!![emoji106]

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

edd1974:
I haven’t tried it . But do see other wagons going flat out which made me wonder.

They’re gambling on the 10%+2MPH ACPO guidelines for leeway and their speedo accuracy being enough that 56MPH on their speedo keeps them within that. One day they’ll come across a police force who doesn’t exercise that leeway and the ticket will be in the post.

Conor:
They’re gambling on the 10%+2MPH ACPO guidelines for leeway and their speedo accuracy being enough that 56MPH on their speedo keeps them within that. One day they’ll come across a police force who doesn’t exercise that leeway and the ticket will be in the post.

Are there any ? Some have not signed up to a change in the limits for offering Speed Awareness Courses but I think all use the ACPO guidelines for issuing a NIP.

If you know of any for certain it would be interesting to know :wink:

Conor:

edd1974:
I haven’t tried it . But do see other wagons going flat out which made me wonder.

iirc police Scotland don’t follow the 10%+2 guideline

Scottish police are far more hardline against speeding than those in England and Wales. There are camera vans everywhere on the A roads, the speed limits for HGVs are lower, they don’t necessarily allow you the 10% +2 leeway, there are no Speed Awareness courses, and increasingly the main trunk roads have average speed cameras.

Admittedly you do see plenty running on the limiter on the A90 and, strictly speaking, I don’t know the answer to your question re the sophistication of the system but I’d consider it a bigger risk than, say, speeding through the M6 roadworks J16-19 simply because of the attitude of the Scottish police.

Personally I drop a few clicks on this road and set the CC at about 83/84.

OK fellas, shown my lack of knowledge about Scotland up straight away :blush: Sounds tough up there :open_mouth:

manski:
OK fellas, shown my lack of knowledge about Scotland up straight away :blush: Sounds tough up there :open_mouth:

It’s nippy as ■■■■■ tbh mate. If you come up the A1 the border is barely marked and there’s a speed camera about quarter of a mile beyond it so if you weren’t paying complete attention they’ve nabbed you immediately as the speed limit just came down by 10mph without you noticing.

You basically have to change your mindset from ‘relaxed’ to ‘on edge’ re speed when you cross the border, particularly on A roads. Good quality A roads where cars are wanting to do 60 but you’re limited to 40 and they’re actually policing it is tantamount to entrapment IMO.

Freight Dog:

edd1974:

Why is the maximum speed on motorways for coaches 70? They’re heavy goods vehicles really. Weigh, what 10/12 tonnes? Goods are humans like you say. In my opinion and personal experience they commonly seem to be driven badly. Normally worse for tailgating than Audi’s :laughing:

It doesn’t look good for me then as I’m a coach driver who drives an Audi… :open_mouth: :laughing:

Not been for a while but was up the a9 to aviemore bit ago was signs up hgv trial speed 60 mph instead of 50. Is that still going on. Should be rolled out on dual carriages ways in the country if no lights roundabouts etc about

It doesn’t look good for me then as I’m a coach driver who drives an Audi… :open_mouth: :laughing:
[/quote]
And I’m guessing you tow a stupid caravan as well

Telt:

manski:

It’s nippy as [zb] tbh mate. If you come up the A1 the border is barely marked

Barely marked? Please hand your license back, you’re clearly too blind to be driving.

Conor:

Telt:

manski:

It’s nippy as [zb] tbh mate. If you come up the A1 the border is barely marked

Barely marked? Please hand your license back, you’re clearly too blind to be driving.

Haha. Fair dos

edd1974:
Not been for a while but was up the a9 to aviemore bit ago was signs up hgv trial speed 60 mph instead of 50. Is that still going on. Should be rolled out on dual carriages ways in the country if no lights roundabouts etc about

Think it’s actually 50 instead of 40 on the single carriageway sections but, yeah, it seems to be a long term thing.

I’m up and down Dundee to Aberdeen a couple of times a week. On the limiter all the way since the new cameras went up just the same as when the Gatso cameras were there. No tickets. Just need to slow down for the Laurencekirk section.