old school

Has anybody seen this on youtube. trucking from uk to Istanbul. think its from the 90’s. Think the guy said he was on 100quid a week. pretty interesting video really as a relatively new driver.

youtu.be/n29FIIK3jhw

Tommytoes:
Has anybody seen this on youtube. trucking from uk to Istanbul. think its from the 90’s. Think the guy said he was on 100quid a week. pretty interesting video really as a relatively new driver.

youtu.be/n29FIIK3jhw

Yeah I’ve seen it. Would love it if he popped up on here and told us what he’s been up to since the film.
Hope he’s not developed a limp and is working at a Tesco RDC. [emoji57]

I think this would have been about 91 as I think the DAF was a J reg, interesting to watch and I wonder if Aitch come of the ■■■■ as he did not sound too good at all, £100 per week seems low even for the early nineties.

Dave.

I remember this when it first went out on television as I was just getting into euro driving at the time. The guy came across badly and Davis Turner, who it was rumoured had paid some money to have their name plastered over everything, tried to distance themselves from the whole saga.

I seem to recall he went a really strange route, going through Yugo (where there was a war on) and ended up on an Adriatic ferry.

Most memorable event was talking to camera from the drivers seat and in the background the tacho head was wide open.

I did think 100 quid seemed pretty low for 90’s especially with all the bribes. ive heard the police haven’t changed much since :smiley: would be good to see if he’s still driving I agree but doubt the ■■■■ did him much good like. not sure if he was double manning as that other guy popped up half way through the video.

AndieHyde:
I seem to recall he went a really strange route, going through Yugo (where there was a war on) and ended up on an Adriatic ferry.

Most memorable event was talking to camera from the drivers seat and in the background the tacho head was wide open.

Brindisi/Patras ferry on way out, (ex)“Commie Bloc” on way back. Return route may have been for the cameras?
Tacho head open when parked? Must have had a card in then! Not a major problem then. Sure the west Eu cops wanted to see an overnight flat trace but not alway a big fine if they didnt see it. And no need for any tachos in non Eu countries was there? Maybe youd need to do an 11hr (or even 24 if theyre strict) rest when entering Germany, but hey, thats a fresh start to run home with and youll be doing papers anyway. We did a little bit into Yugoslavia in the 90s but always keep the tachos straight to speed up the border crossing and keep it all simple when back in Eu. Only going half a day`s drive in, there was nowt to be gained by taking card out.

dave docwra:
£100 per week seems low even for the early nineties.

£100 a week? There`s a man who fills in his own Tax Returns speaking in public…

At 51min50 the handle of his bread knife is clearly seen as he eats his tinned rice nfive a day. That was a common sight then I seem to remember. Police everywhere now prefer drivers to buy ready sliced.

Edit typo

Franglais:

AndieHyde:

Brindisi/Patras ferry on way out, (ex)“Commie Bloc” on way back. Return route may have been for the cameras?

Edit typo

When Mr A did Iran/Iraq back in the 70s, he used to run through the Commie bloc countries to get to Istanbul. Never heard him mentioning Brindisi and across once.

I remember the £100 a week quote and my immediate reaction at the time was cobblers! :laughing:

albion:

Franglais:

AndieHyde:

Edit typo

When Mr A did Iran/Iraq back in the 70s, he used to run through the Commie bloc countries to get to Istanbul. Never heard him mentioning Brindisi and across once.

Brindisi became popular in the early 90s when Yugoslavia went into meltdown.
A lot cheaper than the Superfast out of Ancona, but a lot more driving, diesel, and tolls. I shipped out of Brindisi and Bari to get to Greece. Always rather older boats than the nice Superfast boats. First time was on an old and small converted container ship. Another time it was a boat with half the signs in some sort of Japanese? script!

Franglais:

albion:

Franglais:

AndieHyde:

Edit typo

A lot cheaper than the Superfast out of Ancona, but a lot more driving, diesel, and tolls. I shipped out of Brindisi and Bari to get to Greece. Always rather older boats than the nice Superfast boats. First time was on an old and small converted container ship. Another time it was a boat with half the signs in some sort of Japanese? script!

And that’s what makes the job interesting :laughing:

albion:

Franglais:

And that’s what makes the job interesting :laughing:
[/quote]
Interesting?
A stand up shouty session, with a Boss count as that?

More dramatic than it sounds, we both turned and walked away before the handbags were outta the holsters!

But yes, those boat trips were very interesting at first. But two long trips on a boat followed by a weekend waiting for a backload jades after a while.
And I don`t need to mind reader to guess your response to that statement, do I?

The container ship had a ramp from lower deck to upper, but it was sized for 12m trailers, the approach angle was too steep. They put sacking under the run under bar on the trailer and let the wheels get air-bourne as you dragged the bar along the deck and onto the ramp the ramp. Needed a run with a heavy trailer. Those old trailers were heavy but strong! Only just enough room to spin a “U-ie” on the wet deck when on top.
Saw my first dolphins the next morning off the Greek coast. Beautiful coast.

The majority of us did go the Yugo route in the early days ( 1975 ) and afterwards we started using the eastern bloc route…Czech, Hungary, Rumo, Bulgaria, Turkey…14 hour queues on each border as an average, load of backshish at Kapic…and the odd packet here and there when controlled…a few deutch marks for good measure…ha ha

Fred the Hell’s Angel from Northampton was working for a waste company on a walking floor taking out loads of Recycling from my work. He’s a fair bit thinner now still got the beard and bandana though!

‘‘Proper TRUCKING’’ :sunglasses:
Beats taking bog rolls to Tesco, and plywood to Travis Perkins, thinking ‘‘I’m a big Trucker me’’… same route every day, wearing your mandatory hi viz and earpiece, eyes glued to your 400 quid sat nav, …while rushing like ■■■■ to get back home …‘Cos you like your own bed at night’’ :unamused:
:laughing:
(Reckon that will ruffle a few feathers. :laughing: )
:imp:

:laughing: looks like the old mans on the wind up again :laughing: :blush: :neutral_face:

Punchy Dan:
:lol: looks like the old mans on the wind up again :laughing: :blush: :neutral_face:

Old ■■ :open_mouth: How very dare you.
I’d still give you a run for your money young Dan Boy.
:wink: :laughing:

H got back four days later.
His boss was so pleased to see him he wanted him to go straight back out to Istanbul.
H politely made an excuse and left…
More likely he told his boss to blow it up his arse :laughing:

I can’t run at the min :laughing:

Punchy Dan:
I can’t run at the min :laughing:

I know… that’s why I’m being brave. :laughing:

I was watching this documentary the other day think it was 60/70s and the drivers were stopping and all sleeping in these dormitories. going all over the place just using the old paper satnav like, no mobile phones in them days either. probably a blessing in a way depends who you work for but sometimes the dam thing doesn’t stop ringing.