Question About Those Little Urban Trailers?

Have got to pick up one of those little single axle urban trailers, for a customer, it’s got blue curtains, so pretty sure it’s ex-Tossco but might not be.

Anyway, does anyone know if you need to slide the fifth wheel back to hook up as the legs look very close to the pin?

Will have a bobtail unit fairly near next week but with a fixed fifth wheel so don’t want to detour it and find it either can’t hook up or it comes back with it’s rear lights smashed to pieces.

We swap between standard trailers and Urban trailers without ever moving the fifth wheel,that was with both 4 & 6 leg units…

When we used to pull the Home bargain ones the Renault and Mercedes were fine but the scania used to catch so had to move the fifth wheel. That was 6 leg units tho

Thanks, it would be a 6x2 Renault Premium.

Pulled them at Lenhams (3 axle Daf/Merc units), used the same units that pulled the normal tri-axles without moving the plate. Didn’t really notice the urban being closer to the back of the cab. Also at the co-op, Thurrock, these were Scanias and Volvos, again never had any problems.

Used to run 6X2 FH (old and new shape) with 33ft rear steers without a problem and Renault premiums without a problem 5th wheels never moved.

If it’s an ex Tesco 8 metre then I would slide the 5th wheel. The 10 metre trailers will be fine. Many a back unit light has been smashed using 6 leggers and 8 metre trailers.

If it’s a single axel ex Tesco trailer then it’s likely to be an 8 metre, Tesco got shot of them due to over loading on the single axel I was told.

The urban trailers at Tescos themselves, have bags of room on the catwalk, so don’t close-couple as far as I’m concerned. You get bags of room at Waitrose as well, but that’s because they use day cabs which creates the gap on the catwalk you can actually swing a cat in.

Had a couple of issues where if you went to spin the combination around in a yard, you needed to do it in such a way that the cables didn’t get stretched too much, by the riding attachment carriage getting stuck halfway as you make the circlular turn…

If it as me I would couple to a normal trailer and get the slider right back before setting out, then see what it looks and turns like with the urban coupled up when you get there. You will struggle to get the slider further back otherwise if you find that you need to. You can always move it forward again if you want to. The last thing you want is to arrive on site to find that the slider won’t move because it isn’t used.

Own Account Driver:
but with a fixed fifth wheel

cav551:
get the slider right back

edit :slight_smile:

If it it was me I would buy a £1.99 tape measure or make a 10p phone call

Just get a hammer out and knock the legs off!!

Most urban trailers are very shallow pins. We used to pull a 30ft tandem axle curtain sider with an 08 Premium 6x2 at Norbert Dentressangle with no problems, then drop it and close couple up to a decker and be away down the road with no shifting of fifth wheels.

Wigo91:
When we used to pull the Home bargain ones the Renault and Mercedes were fine but the scania used to catch so had to move the fifth wheel. That was 6 leg units tho

Was that Scania a midlift or a tag?

Never done it with a 6x2 as coops policy is 4x2 only under the single 27ft trailer, am guessing the 6x2 would catch the legs tho on there’s

Franglais:

Own Account Driver:

cav551:

oops. :blush:

cav551:

Franglais:

Own Account Driver:

cav551:

oops. :blush:

No harm done. No lights cracked or legs twisted.
Good idea to move a slider, that could be seized by under use, in the yard, rather than on site though !

Unfortunately its something your going to find out for yourself when you get there.
When I pulled them working for Argos it was couple up with caution as not all combinations were the same.

lolipop:
Unfortunately its something your going to find out for yourself when you get there.
When I pulled them working for Argos it was couple up with caution as not all combinations were the same.

But as Wheel Nut says

Wheel Nut:
If it it was me I would buy a £1.99 tape measure or make a 10p phone call

A call and few minutes can save a lot of grief.

nsmith1180:
Just get a hammer out and knock the legs off!!

Most urban trailers are very shallow pins. We used to pull a 30ft tandem axle curtain sider with an 08 Premium 6x2 at Norbert Dentressangle with no problems, then drop it and close couple up to a decker and be away down the road with no shifting of fifth wheels.

Wigo91:

Was that Scania a midlift or a tag?

Midlift mate