Hgv cpc ban

Morning to all
Is there any kind of campaign going on in relation to banning hgv driver cpc… as i guess it does apply to all with hgv entitlement
If there is a petition going on then can i have the details … if not is anyone likely to be starting one
Stay safe
Ron

I’ve been to loads of conferences where post-Brexit reform of transport-related legislation has been discussed. Where the Driver CPC legislation has come up, it’s been made very clear that there is no chance of it being changed. To say that truck drivers don’t need formal training post test pass is a political non-starter. There’s more chance of the vocational licence threshold going back up to 7.5-tonnes TBH. This would get some drivers out of the DCPC scope.

Also the RHA and FTA, who lead transport campaigning in the UK, have invested substantially in DCPC provision. They are hardly going to ask the Government to cut off a source of their income.

Thanks for your reply… so do you think a petition by all in the industry would help?

Jackron:
Thanks for your reply… so do you think a petition by all in the industry would help?

No,show me one of these .gov petitions that has actual bought about a change.

why are you so concerned about cpc.
when you can’t even fight for better conditions and pay.

Any specific reasons for this petition?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Won’t happen. If it did you’ll

Still need it for European,

Won’t happen mate, too many people making too much money at it. :bulb:
Surprised we haven’t had the…
‘‘Why would you want to ban something that is important’’
from the Pro DCPC crew. :unamused:

Why would you want to ban something so important?

There you go Rob :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

TAXI

Jackron:

I doubt it. You can expect some headlines later in the day which will explain why.

When you’ve got a drunk truck driver with no licence taking it upon himself to park in the live lane of a motorway for a snooze and another truck driver so busy chatting on the phone about inconsequential rubbish that he didn’t notice what the first driver had done and stuffed a minibus under the first truck, no elected politician is ever going to stand up and say…“Look, the standards in the industry are so high already, that these people don’t need training.”

And that’s without the near-daily appearance (on this forum and elsewhere) of pictures of trucks stuffed under clearly signed low bridges, or people not realising that most weight limits apply to a vehicle’s GVW (even though it says so on the signs) and thinking they can drive over weak bridges etc because they aren’t loaded.

Everytime I go out on the roads, I see truck drivers reacting brilliantly to save other road users from their own stupidity. Sadly, that professionalism (which is actually most of the truck drivers, most of the time) rarely makes headlines, and many other road users are so unaware that they don’t even realise what’s happened.

We live in a skewed world. Transport for London is aiming to ban all but a few trucks from London, “because they kill so many cyclists.” In fact, they don’t. The population of London is nearly 8.8 million. In 2016, eight cyclists died in traffic accidents on the streets of London, and not all of those incidents involved trucks. So that’s a one in a million chance of death…but it still necessitates special permits or truck designs.

I’d be more inclined to complain about that, to be honest.

Further driver training after passing the test is a necessity when you see the standard of driving I see on a daily basis. The problem with the current set up is that it is totally ineffectual and a complete waste of time. In cab cameras is the way we’ll go thanks to the muppets calling themselves professionals… :unamused:

pierrot 14:

TAXI

Thank you very much. :smiley:

robroy:

pierrot 14:

TAXI

Thank you very much. :smiley:

I like it, it proves that were being given further professional training, and we should be treated as such…

Ding a ling, wakey wakey, was dreaming. :smiley:

GasGas:

Jackron:

I doubt it. You can expect some headlines later in the day which will explain why.

When you’ve got a drunk truck driver with no licence taking it upon himself to park in the live lane of a motorway for a snooze and another truck driver so busy chatting on the phone about inconsequential rubbish that he didn’t notice what the first driver had done and stuffed a minibus under the first truck, no elected politician is ever going to stand up and say…“Look, the standards in the industry are so high already, that these people don’t need training.”

And that’s without the near-daily appearance (on this forum and elsewhere) of pictures of trucks stuffed under clearly signed low bridges, or people not realising that most weight limits apply to a vehicle’s GVW (even though it says so on the signs) and thinking they can drive over weak bridges etc because they aren’t loaded.

You make very valid points in your reasoning there Gas Gas, sadly the examples above ^^^ have happened SINCE the introduction of the DCPC so it becomes a kind of self defeating argument in regards to the DCPC where we can clearly see that it’s introduction has made little or no positive difference at all. The only conclusion that one can reach is that in its present form the DCPC is not fit for purpose and should be either scrapped or revamped from the ground up.

biggriffin:
Won’t happen. If it did you’ll

Still need it for European,

Agreed it won’t happen and has been said its hardly the most pressing thing the industry and drivers in particular should worried about, any energy for a campaign should be aimed at the real issues in the industry, not sitting in a classroom for one day a year, which for many drivers working for decent companies is paid for and the time is part of your paid employment.

However I don’t think you’re quite correct about needing it for European work, as I don’t believe Turkish drivers working for Turkish companies need it, or those working for other nations that don’t have a DCPC to drive in Europe.

Jackron:
Morning to all
Is there any kind of campaign going on in relation to banning hgv driver cpc… as i guess it does apply to all with hgv entitlement
If there is a petition going on then can i have the details … if not is anyone likely to be starting one
Stay safe
Ron

No there isn’t and no you shouldn’t be starting one. As can be seen with plenty of examples in this forum and on HGV Facebook pages it is more than sorely needed as there are a lot of drivers who don’t even have a grasp of the basics of tacho rules.

If anything the DCPC needs to be made HARDER. It needs to involve a written test with a pass mark of around 70-80%, similar to other trade exams you’d do in other fields.

the maoster:

GasGas:

Jackron:

You make very valid points in your reasoning there Gas Gas, sadly the examples above ^^^ have happened SINCE the introduction of the DCPC so it becomes a kind of self defeating argument in regards to the DCPC where we can clearly see that it’s introduction has made little or no positive difference at all. The only conclusion that one can reach is that in its present form the DCPC is not fit for purpose and should be either scrapped or revamped from the ground up.

I do know the shortcomings of the current regime have been noted, and that the regulations are likely to be reformed post-Brexit.

I suspect we can look forward to seven hours training a year, every year (as they already have to do in Ireland) and an end to repeating the same course over and over again.

I’m sure everyone on this forum knows at least one person who left it all to the last moment last time around and then did the same ‘how to get in and out of a lorry’ course in the same room with the same people for five days on the bounce.

It wont make a blind bit of difference…its like asking for drivers to Unite …or Drivers to strike …its a non starter…besides…We are stuck with the EU rules and regulations, until after the transition period which is 3 years time…from now until then, we have to abide by the EU regulations including the dcpc… and any new ones…but we will have no say on any new regulations.

Although the current DCPC scheme is a total farce they won’t get rid of it .
Having proper elements of it that you are tested on and you must do all the elements of it to stay current may raise the game of many in the industry.
The number of questions on all the transport forums that are very basic knowledge shows that the current system isn’t working .

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Did anybody learn anything from the cpc ?
When i took mine 3 of my moduales were the same
Encouraged me more to have a well earned kip
In the classroom…
Apart from the trainers pocketing cash and the goverment… how do us truck drivers benefit from this stealth tax