One truck only leaves NYC LOL

Yesterday I headed down to NYC to collect yet another Ben & Jerry load, knowing heavy snow was expected in the city today, I arrived at 8.30 PM, hooked up and had a choice to either leave and drive for 2 hours north or just stay there and take my break, I chose to stay, cooked my microwave Lasagna, watched TV for a while, then slept, woke up at 06.30 AM and got cleaned up. No snow visible but on return to my can and logging in to NYS Thruway site it informs me that because a blizzard is expected all interstate highways in NY state are closed to trucks :open_mouth: As my route should take me up I-87 all the way to Lake George before I turn off my day was screwed up, I decided to leave and once logged on duty had todo something drastic, I headed up 87 for just 10 miles and saw no signs saying ‘closed’, however instead of staying on that route I headed eat on 287 then north on 684 to join 84 but after about 25 miles there is was … a very big electronic sign saying Truck and trailer ban on all NY interstates, that included 684, which I was on, I carried on and passed a cop sitting in the middle, he looked at me and in my mirror I noticed him pull out and follow me, I passed rest area and then he called me on the CB, “Foodliner, you realise there is a truck ban on this highway don’t you ?”
“Well as the sign saying so is only half way along the route what am I supposed to do ?” I replied.
“You were supposed to pull in the rest area you just drove past”
“But there are no facilities there and in any case there is no snow, so if you want to give me a ticket you are quite welcome to do so but bear in mind that I have a dash cam here recording the fact that there is no snow yet, I think that if it went to court I would get let off and apart from that in just a couple of miles I will turn on to 84 in CT where there is no truck ban”
“I will do a deal with you, I will follow you up here and providing you go onto 84 east and to CT I will let you go”
“You got a deal” I replied, I carried on my travels and never saw a snowflake all day"

So in America you’re not allowed to drive a truck if it’s snowing?

Think you need to rename yourself Pat “The Bandit” Hasler :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

Running ice cream across state lines. “What we’re dealing with here is a total lack of respect for the law.”

slowlane:
Think you need to rename yourself Pat “The Bandit” Hasler :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

Running ice cream across state lines. “What we’re dealing with here is a total lack of respect for the law.”

#1 :slight_smile:

he should have put you in the slammer Pat…ha ha …but its nice when they do a deal like that isnt it.

Book him Danno!

You’ll be…

Known as Pat Hustler from now on.

It could be good to have the instant communication via CB between police officers and truck drivers this side of the pond.
One possible drawback could be the occasional Mr.Angry.Mentioning no names.

Gidders:
It could be good to have the instant communication via CB between police officers and truck drivers this side of the pond.

I can imagine that in this country!

“Foodliner, you realise there is a truck ban on this motorway don’t you ?”
“Well as the sign saying so is only half way along the route what am I supposed to do ?”
“You were supposed to pull in the rest area you just drove past”
“But there are no facilities there and in any case there is no snow, so if you want to give me a ticket you are quite welcome to do so but bear in mind that I have a dash cam here recording the fact that there is no snow yet, I think that if it went to court I would get let off and apart from that in just a couple of miles I will turn on to the M6 where there is no truck ban”
“I will do a deal with you, I will follow you up here providing you go onto the M6”
“You got a deal”
“Though once you’re on the M6, pull over at the first convenience, I want a quick word with you”
“what’s up officer?”
“I’m giving you a CU80 for breach of requirements as to control of the vehicle, such as using a mobile phone or similar device - that’s 6 points on your licence sonny Jim”

True enough.Last time I had a CB it was infested with idiots and I haven’t used one in years.Also,unlike the USA,generally there seems to be a lack of respect between HGV drivers and police officers and the application of laws can be draconian when clearly it’s a form of revenue raising.

Hello pat “ the bandit “ hasler lol :grimacing: just a quick one are you from the U.S or an English driver working over there I’ve all ways fancied driven in the states my uncal lives in Albany but never really thought about it till I seen your post :smiley:

ezydriver:

I think that’s only when the forecast is super bad and for some states. In fact in European terms we are one of the only countries that allows unhindered HGV driving in bad snow. Gets to a certain point in most European countries, Western ones anyhow, and police start parking trucks up, most recently for me was in france during freezing rain.

It was not nationwide, it was a ridiculous NY state law and was a waste of time and money, it cost the industry millions of dollars and was not needed. On Thursday I drove back down and all the way through NY and NJ there was hardly a trace of snow, so all that freight was held up for 24 hours for nothing, I think some big law suits will be pending.

Just shut her down due to freezing rain West of Winnipeg, Highway further down is shut to the Saskatchewan border. Aren’t we meant to be in Spring ? Edit, a 3 hr breakfast break and it went from sliding around empty at 50kph to wet roads and fttm all the way to Regina.

Yuk freezing rain, that’s going to be fun when the snow comes down on top of it later today. Broke both my cb aerials last week with freezing rain building up on them and had to keep stopping to break the ice off the grille and air filters as it was blocking the airflow, used more screenwash than diesel that day!

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Is banning trucks from the thruway when it snows a new thing ? Were cars allowed to run?

switchlogic:

ezydriver:

I think that’s only when the forecast is super bad and for some states. In fact in European terms we are one of the only countries that allows unhindered HGV driving in bad snow. Gets to a certain point in most European countries, Western ones anyhow, and police start parking trucks up, most recently for me was in france during freezing rain.

There are some truck bans in bad weather imposed by Prefectures in France. On autoroutes the overheads will (or should) warn drivers to park in rest areas, and if not they may be parked on the hard shoulder later.
In my experience the rules are mostly fair. There was one ban when a few of us were parked up just half an hour from the ferryport and the roads were clearing nicely. The Gendarme said to us that we couldn`t move because of the ban. But they also said that they were all going off to lunch soon…They did their job, we got the boat. :smiley:

They quite often close roads be sure of weather in the US, sometimes it’s because the weather is that bad, in other cases it’s because there have been that many crashes and stuck vehicles that the emergency services cannot cope with any more, so they shut it all down.

In the case of NY, it does make sense in some way, if trucks get stuck on a hill the road is blocked and tens of thousands of commuters are stuck in the resulting traffic jam. Trucks WILL get stuck too as unfortunately the standard of truck drivers is very poor.

They either creep along at 20mph with their hazards on, scared to death of it, or carry on as normal, flat out until they hit the ditch and there’s 2miles of ditch for every mile of road, so they’ve got lots to choose from.

NMM am I right thinking that you have to stop running when bad weather hits when you pull your LCVs(twin 53s)?

Yes Jimmy, if there’s a no travel recommended advisory we have to park until it’s lifted. We get paid for the waiting time, so there’s no incentive to be a ■■■■ and carry on, unlike some.

I have to say, the Penner LCV fleet are the best behaved on the road, we do our in trip inspections in safe places, rather than just stopping on the shoulder, we don’t abandon our trucks on the shoulder to go into Tim Hortons or in the middle of a truckstop and we don’t speed, unlike most of the others.