Tyre fitters

Ended up with a flat front tyre this morning. :unamused:
Guy comes out to me, tells me he was working all day yesterday, and on call all last night…I was his 9th call out since 1800 yesterday, he has had about 2 hours kip, AND… he is expected to work all day today. :neutral_face:

His eyes are stuck out like a Bulldog’s balls. :open_mouth:

He says that it aint usually like that, but surely it’s a potential recipe for disaster on the M.way :bulb:

I wouldn’t have his job for a grand a week, with all that I’ve said, and stuff like changing wheels on hard shoulders at night in all weathers.
The words ‘‘Game of soldiers’’ spring to mind. :smiley:

Should have changed it yourself :laughing: and told him to get a bit of shut eye.Then asked him for his callout fee and the 2 hours he books per job.

I used to do light and heavy recoveries,
in the workshop through the day and then on call all night…
boss man expected us to be at work first thing every morning…
got told to shove it…
came back to driving them instead of lying underneath them on the hard shoulder at stupid o’clock in the persisting rain and wind …

Very common to hear the same from many tyre fitters, they ■■■■■ about it, but get paid ■■■■ std hours so actually like the callouts for the money, notice very few older blokes doing tyres?

AndrewG has got to be the kiddy for tyre changing tips. :stuck_out_tongue:

Will work until it goes wrong and HSE find out then at least in theory they’ll make an example of the company. No company will want to be the first to make sensible changes as they’ll lose to the competition.

Writing this waiting for a tyre fitter.

Suedehead:

^^^^^
if you cant crack your nuts.just find a scaffoldiig pole and use your head… :smiley:

Suedehead:

:laughing:

Trickydick:
Very common to hear the same from many tyre fitters, they ■■■■■ about it, but get paid [zb] std hours so actually like the callouts for the money, notice very few older blokes doing tyres?

Don’t see many over 40, 45 max - it’s a young man’s game!

GCR2ERF:
Don’t see many over 40, 45 max - it’s a young man’s game!

If you do they dont do stupid time callouts.

Had similar conversation last night to Robroy when the guy said he’d finished at 5, been called out 8 - 11pm then called out again 1am and left me at 4am. Oh and hes back at work 7am! 2 hours sleep.

Recommended he got out the job asap before he killed himself or someone else. Is absolutely stupid.

I always had respect for tyre fitters, heavy dirty work in all filthy weathers, heaving super singles about hitting them with sledgehammers, dont know what they got paid but it wasn’t enough.

I buy nearly all my tyres from a two man, two van band.
The lad who owns it is an absolute beast of a man.
When he’s fired up I’ve had him fit four 315s across a drive axle and when he was finished I’ve been a couple of minutes short of a 45.

dieseldog999:

Suedehead:

^^^^^
if you cant crack your nuts.just find a scaffoldiig pole and use your head… :smiley:

Man with cracked head and split ear says be careful out there… :grimacing:

And people think driving a truck is a hard job!

Blunder Man:
I always had respect for tyre fitters, heavy dirty work in all filthy weathers, heaving super singles about hitting them with sledgehammers, dont know what they got paid but it wasn’t enough.

^^ Totally agree, real hard dirty job, rather them than me.

Trukkertone:
I used to do light and heavy recoveries,
in the workshop through the day and then on call all night…
boss man expected us to be at work first thing every morning…
got told to shove it…
came back to driving them instead of lying underneath them on the hard shoulder at stupid o’clock in the persisting rain and wind …

funny you say that,i fancied that game when in my late thirties,then I broke down on the M40 at Banbury,when the guy came out he spent almost two hours trying to disconnect the propshaft in order to tow,he was around 50 yrs old and he was crawling under the lorry in wind and rain,i thought nope don’t think it’s for me,the lorry I had was a crapper daf 2100 18 tonner,all the bolts on the prop were seized and he had to call a colleague out as he broke his sockets trying to undo the bolts,they managed in the end and I got home at 11pm that night after a 7am start,and they wanted me in early the next day

^^^^ work hard or work smart? Instead of dicking about with seized prop bolts he should’ve just dropped a half shaft out.

the maoster:
^^^^ work hard or work smart? Instead of dicking about with seized prop bolts he should’ve just dropped a half shaft out.

That’s what the recovery guy did when the truck I driving needed towing, but I wouldn’t say the half shaft just dropped out, seemed to take a long while and a load of force.

the maoster:

Might have been hub reduction?

i had a kid come out to me a while ago to sort the dragging brake on a double decker.
he was 19 at most,full tang spec ,just off the grass and mad for tar. built like a jockeys whip ,no messing,and dived under the trailer which was scraping the ground anyway.i handed him in hammers and bars and he came out an hour later completely manky and wrecked with the job done.i bunged him a tenner out of my own pocket,then phoned his boss to tell him how eager and competent he was.
id never have done his job for double a truckies pay.