If leaving the haulage industry.....what would you do?

I,after many years driving am now looking at an alternative line of work as I’m tired of the unsociable hours, irregular start times and poor hourly rate that hasn’t gone up in more years than I can remember.
I’m looking at learning a trade on a 3 month crash course and to go self employed. It will take a couple of years to establish myself but I’ll be a lot happier I’m my job.
Just wondering what would you do if you were to leave the haulage industry?

somtam:
I,after many years driving am now looking at an alternative line of work as I’m tired of the unsociable hours, irregular start times and poor hourly rate that hasn’t gone up in more years than I can remember.
I’m looking at learning a trade on a 3 month crash course and to go self employed. It will take a couple of years to establish myself but I’ll be a lot happier I’m my job.
Just wondering what would you do if you were to leave the haulage industry?

Holly Willoughby’s minder. :sunglasses:
She keeps asking me, won’t leave me alone in fact.
I say ‘‘Holly no, I prefer general haulage’’.

You can tell I sat here bored can’t you. :blush: :smiley:

I left to work the railway but that’s no good for you going self employed, so what about plumbing the man over the road from me charges £47 per hour and is so busy he could work 24 hours every day if he wanted.

If you dont mind heights try crane driving.

The course costs a few grand but salaries are around the 60k mark 70k in london.

Bobby Beveridge Training do it in Sheffield.

Plumbing or gas fitter,only draw back is the time factor and cost of training and registering for the recognised groups like Gas Safe etc
Otherwise the money is good my Son in Law and my Grandaughters boyfriend don`t do so bad 8-5 plus o/t £40k plus

Trouble with plumbing is you cannot get in on the Gas unless your working for or with a plumbing firm.You can not get much work with basic plumbing (I did it for 12 months handy man ) .But you could go cscs and try to get labouring with a plumber then do training as you go .
Im looking to retrain … good luck pal

Ive applied to become a train driver with virgin good pay and the base is only 20 mins from my house.

Wouldn’t be my choice, but one of our drivers has done the relevant courses and is now an accredited chimney sweep. Says he has plenty of work from Day 1. He charges about 50 quid a pop for a straightforward single chimney. He’s gone part time on the driving job, with a view to packing in altogether if the sweeping business takes off (which it appears to be doing).

The work is a bit seasonal, but he tops his money up during the Summer by charging for appearances at weddings…

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I also left the haulage industry and became a train driver 8 years ago. Best thing i ever did. 4 day 35 hour week (including breaks), excellent salary and conditions. Difficult to get a job, but worth it. The train operating companies consider truck drivers to have the necessary transferable skills (concentration, used to shifts, working alone etc).

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

longdistanceclara:
I also left the haulage industry and became a train driver 8 years ago. Best thing i ever did. 4 day 35 hour week (including breaks), excellent salary and conditions. Difficult to get a job, but worth it. The train operating companies consider truck drivers to have the necessary transferable skills (concentration, used to shifts, working alone etc).

Are you passenger or freight? I managed to wangle a ride at the front of a one unit small passenger train travelling on a country line to near my folks. Chatting to the driver his work roster looked really good. He told me he was on better terms than the new joiners. Looked a relaxing job floating along window down. Daresay it’s got it’s downsides and stressers (spad events etc)

Freight Dog:

longdistanceclara:

Are you passenger or freight? I managed to wangle a ride at the front of a one unit small passenger train travelling on a country line to near my folks. Chatting to the driver his work roster looked really good. He told me he was on better terms than the new joiners. Looked a relaxing job floating along window down. Daresay it’s got it’s downsides and stressers (spad events etc)

I’m on passenger. I’d find it hard to really find a downside to the job. But that’s mainly because I have grafted in the past with trucks and really appreciate what I have now. There is the possibility of cocking up, but touch wood I’ve been ok for 8 years, but never say never. I’m now a DI (driving instructor) and love that too. Annual leave is mainly allocated (it’s done fairly and on a rotation). 53k basic, rest days at £27 per hour plus £45 bonus. Final salary pension, rarely see a manager - just trusted to be professional and do your job. Honestly I’d recommend it to anyone.

longdistanceclara:

Freight Dog:

longdistanceclara:

I’m on passenger. I’d find it hard to really find a downside to the job. But that’s mainly because I have grafted in the past with trucks and really appreciate what I have now. There is the possibility of cocking up, but touch wood I’ve been ok for 8 years, but never say never. I’m now a DI (driving instructor) and love that too. Annual leave is mainly allocated (it’s done fairly and on a rotation). 53k basic, rest days at £27 per hour plus £45 bonus. Final salary pension, rarely see a manager - just trusted to be professional and do your job. Honestly I’d recommend it to anyone.

That’s a very good package. I know rail has effective unions. Have the terms stayed fairly protected or is it a gradual chipping away as is common in various jobs?

and you don’t have to steer!

or navigate!

It’s pretty much rock solid. There is a lot of responsibility, sometimes it just me and 1000 passengers behind me. If stuff goes wrong then we earn every penny. They expect 100% from us 100% of the time. No room for even small mistakes. I’ve been pulled up for doing 71mph in a 70mph psr. But that said, I’ve never looked back. I still drive a truck for a mate now and again, and I even enjoy that!

longdistanceclara:
It’s pretty much rock solid. There is a lot of responsibility, sometimes it just me and 1000 passengers behind me. If stuff goes wrong then we earn every penny. They expect 100% from us 100% of the time. No room for even small mistakes. I’ve been pulled up for doing 71mph in a 70mph psr. But that said, I’ve never looked back. I still drive a truck for a mate now and again, and I even enjoy that!

1 mph over?! Blimey, that’s harsh :laughing: . What’s a psr?

Permanent speed restriction. Sorry the railway is full of jargon. It’s like learning a new language.

longdistanceclara:
Permanent speed restriction. Sorry the railway is full of jargon. It’s like learning a new language.

I noticed on the unit I rode in the throttle (?) had fixed notches. How do you control within 1 mph, or is it a case of stay well under the speed limit just in case.

We have 4 power notches and 4 brake steps. You get to know the route so well that you know gradients. Normally you reach a speed and coast to allow for speed gain on falling gradients, or power up hills. You kind of have set routines between particular stations.

neighbour cleans windows . him and his 3 lads start at 9 and home by 3 usually. iv kind of fancied doing it,he has new car new van etc and always seems relaxed even in the Winter they head on out

but like most things in life,it seems very easy ,when your just an observer !

Everybody on here reckons stacking shelves in Asda is a good alternative, don’t they . :smiley: