24hr periods

A little help with 24hr periods to settle a point between me and a mate.

So say you start 4am Monday morning after a weekend off. Your 24hr period runs from 4am Monday until 4am Tuesday and in that time you need to have had a daily rest or a reduced daily rest.

But say on Tuesday you start at 5am.

My mate says that his 24hr period then runs from 5am Tuesday until 5am Wednesday. I say it still runs from 4am Tuesday until 4am Wednesday to mirror your first 24hr period of the week.

Who is right?

Your mate

But then you’ve got the 144 hours which is 6 x 24hr periods…

If those 24hr periods keep moving back an hour a day you’ve still got to be done by 4am the following Sunday so your last “24hr period” might only be from say 7am Saturday until 4am Sunday.

This is why I’ve always thought it was fixed depending on the first 24hr period

Yep Def your mate.

This is why some people get caught out with rest periods when they are not quite sure how 24hr periods start/ end , they think they’ve done 9/13hrs daily rest but then get infringements as it’s not within the 24hr period they first started duty from.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

toonsy:

If those 24hr periods keep moving back an hour a day you’ve still got to be done by 4am the following Sunday so your last “24hr period” might only be from say 7am Saturday until 4am Sunday.

Best way I think if it is that I’ve got 144hrs from when I start my weekly duty ( after a weekly rest ) to when I must start my next weekly rest

The daily 24hrs within that 144hr span can be fluid as you’ve pointed out but my max weekly rest starting time doesn’t move

dcgpx:

toonsy:

Best way I think if it is that I’ve got 144hrs from when I start my weekly duty ( after a weekly rest ) to when I must start my next weekly rest

The daily 24hrs within that 144hr span can be fluid as you’ve pointed out but my max weekly rest starting time doesn’t move

See that makes sense written like that. Cheers.

dcgpx:

toonsy:

Yes, this. If you start work at 0400 Monday and work through the week then your next weekly rest period has to start by 0400 Sunday regardless of what time other shifts in the week started or ended.

Daily time period is flexible, weekly time period is fixed .
It can get confusing if you start before midnight on sunday !

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

What about driving time??

Say you start 6am Mon and complete 9hrs driving by 6pm.
You then “take a 9” and start again 3am Tue.

Does your driving time start clean slate@ 3am Tue as mate (who’s been HGV Driving 30 odd yrs) says it’s doesn’t.
He states you won’t have “wiped slate” driving time wise until 6am Tue end of 24hr.

I think he’s badly wrong!!![emoji52]

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

144 hours (6x24 hours) is one rule for weekly rest

a 24 hour period is another rule for daily rest

They have nothing to do with each other

Big Truck:
What about driving time??

Say you start 6am Mon and complete 9hrs driving by 6pm.
You then “take a 9” and start again 3am Tue.

Does your driving time start clean slate@ 3am Tue as mate (who’s been HGV Driving 30 odd yrs) says it’s doesn’t.
He states you won’t have “wiped slate” driving time wise until 6am Tue end of 24hr.

I think he’s badly wrong!!![emoji52]

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

He may be getting the domestic regulations mixed up with the EU regulations.

On EU regulations the daily driving time is reset after a daily rest period.

On domestic regulations the 24 hour period is actually 24 hours.

Sent from my mobile.