Maritime professional driver scheme

I came across this . I have tried to email them to see what it is. Can’t get a reply or find a phone number to ring
Is it a training course and guaranteed job? .or is it just a con ie take people off the dole train them then get rid cheap labour and government can claim to be helping the unemployed?
Or is it just me being cynical.
I’m hoping it’s a job offer as I have had class 2 for 5 years now and am thinking taking class 1.
Any maritime drivers here heard of this ?

www.maritimetransport.com/join-us/profe … driver-sch

A former colleague of mine now works for Fowler Welch in Washington, Tyne & wear. He was telling me they have started something like that there. They are taking on people with only a car licence & training them up to class 1, then getting them through their test, they will then guarantee them a job when they pass. They don’t even have to sign a contract saying they will stay with the company, which in my experience is pretty standard. Like it or not, to me it’s the only way you will get a younger group of drivers into the business & something I’ve suggested at various companies I’ve worked for. The problem is that many are too short sighted when looking to the future.

It is for full C+E licence holders with no experience. Downton do something similar.

They will buddy you up with another driver for a shift or a week or two or whatever you need.

It’s not a free licence.

Lots of companies are doing this now, there getting worried that after Brexit the supply of highly skilled European drivers will dry up… So it’s time to train up our own driver’s, call it an apprenticeship the government pays them, what’s not to like, gets more youngsters into the job.

If I was you I would phone them about a job vacancy on the website (there is pretty much always at least one for each depot) and mention your interest in the scheme as an alternative to you having experience, you might get asked down for a chat and they’ll decide whether your worth investing their time in. They normally pick off guys leaving the forces but also get drivers referred to them from Scania’s driver training scheme.

You will pretty much spend about a month buddied up with trainers & elected drivers learning the job. I believe it’s full pay from day one.

I used to work for Maritime some months ago working out of Rugby.
Quite frankly they’re the worst company I’ve ever worked for having been a hgv driver for over 20 years
Avoid!!

somtam:
Quite frankly they’re the worst company I’ve ever worked for having been a hgv driver for over 20 years
Avoid!!

How so? Just to clarify I don’t, have never and have no intention of working for Maritime, but I am morbidly interested in what in particular prompts such a response.

I applied for this at Trafford Park over six months ago, never heard a thing for a few months so rang them to see if they’d got my application, guy said yeah, we’re onto it. Months later, still heard nothing. Total waste of time

Isn’t Maritime one of those outfits that have constant surveillance driver cameras fitted?
And they have to train new drivers because they can’t get experienced ones?
I’m being my usual cynical self here :unamused: …but maybe there’s a message in there somewhere eh? :bulb:

robroy:
Isn’t Maritime one of those outfits that have constant surveillance driver cameras fitted?
And they have to train new drivers because they can’t get experienced ones?
I’m being my usual cynical self here :unamused: …but maybe there’s a message in there somewhere eh? :bulb:

Robroy,maritime in my dealings with them is that it’s place full of slick hair cuts and pointy shoed fancy boys in the office and a place full of corporate rubbish and men in these newly created jobs as “compliance” managers…
Not my cup of tea and from reading your posts not yours either :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Reply I got off them

Many thanks for your enquiry, apologies for the delay in responding.

Our scheme is designed to help newly qualified C+E drivers or drivers with minimal experience the opportunity learn the job in a professional structured atmosphere. It covers a period of 1 year and you would be a full time employee of the company if successful.

Unfortunately, we do not offer licence acquisition as part of our scheme. We also do not operate class C vehicles

We recommend that if you do not have your C+E licence you contact Scania UK through maritime@scania.com to discuss licence acquisition.

However, you can also apply direct if you gain your C+E licence through any training provider via maritimetransport.com/join-u … r%20scheme

Hello all,

I am the Training and Development manager for Maritime and I have been instrumental in developing this scheme over the last 5 years or so to help drivers into the industry. An ex driver myself, 22 years as the nut behind the wheel, I remember how hard and daunting it was to get a start in the industry especially with larger companies with good reputations. It was very much a case of learning your trade elsewhere until you hit the magic 2 year experience grade.

This scheme has proved enormously successful with waiting lists at many depots, we have also introduced this slowly across our business so as to ensure that we get it right, don’t overburden the depots involved or reduce the quality of training a new driver receives. Every application received, I personally respond to each and every applicant. In turn our depots then follow this up, if this does not happen the applicant normally gets back to me and I rectify that.

The scheme is a full time position with the trainees receiving the same pay as an experienced driver. The training is from the ground up in every aspect of the job, as well as equipment and every type of vehicle and some of the training allows the trainee to spend time in the office understanding how work is put together and routed etc. An area we pay particular attention to is the hours being worked when first starting, to expect a newly qualified driver to do 15 hour shifts from the get go is not a good idea. A structured, sensibly paced progression allowing the trainee to feel comfortable and progress at their own pace is essential.

We are very proud of the drivers who have come through the scheme so far, the training they take on board is second to none and allows them to progress within the company. Some of the earlier trainees are now in operational and fleet department positions.
Our scheme came of age in December 2017 when one of our 2016 trainees finished the year as one of our top bonus earning drivers. This is a driving style bonus, (not performance or mpg related).

Along with our brilliant driver trainers, at every depot we have fantastic driver mentors who look after these trainees, pass along their knowledge and support them. These mentors play a very important part in their development, but all our great drivers are mentors to these trainees and help them wherever possible.

Unfortunately, demand for places does out strip vacancies. But as we continue to grow, (we have just been awarded another large contrcat), we hope to be able to offer more oppurtunities on our scheme.

If anyone would like to ask me questions I would be more than happy to answer them.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

MaritimeTraining:
Unfortunately, demand for places does out strip vacancies.

Hehe, no sign of driver shortage at Maritime, then! :laughing:

I’ve not worked for Maritime, but I have spoken with Maritime drivers and have heard nothing but bad things about working for them. Push push push. For anyone thinking of joining the industry it might be a means to an end, but don’t expect much job satisfaction with this lot.

$$$:
I’ve not worked for Maritime, but I have spoken with Maritime drivers and have heard nothing but bad things about working for them. Push push push. For anyone thinking of joining the industry it might be a means to an end, but don’t expect much job satisfaction with this lot.

How they or any another can push drivers.Lorry limited for 50 or 56 m/p.So simply drive and drive.In the dock or customer driver can t push customers.If drivers simply work and not "taked"time ,not waste time for nothing that all will be good.But if some driver want talk 1 hours ,rest much more that limit that this is not maritime fault.In any single job boss ask attitude,perfomance .And every single job have limited brake time,limited talking time.

Well Maritime may or may not be for some experienced drivers. To be fair to them they have introduced this scheme to recruit new drivers and to give them experience whilst training them to their way of working. How anyone can knock a company for doing this is beyond me. There are plenty of experienced drivers that I know who work for them from Immingham depot who are happy enough. Drivers just love to moan and will always knock other companies even though they have probably never worked for them themselves and probably in a crap job themselves. Drivers are renown for spreading rumours and giving companies a bad name without having any experience of them themselves.

Andrejs:

$$$:

How they or any another can push drivers.Lorry limited for 50 or 56 m/p.So simply drive and drive.In the dock or customer driver can t push customers.If drivers simply work and not "taked"time ,not waste time for nothing that all will be good.But if some driver want talk 1 hours ,rest much more that limit that this is not maritime fault.In any single job boss ask attitude,perfomance .And every single job have limited brake time,limited talking time.

Let me say I havent worked for Maritime and Im talking in general terms.
The pressure comes from having an office worker second guessing a drivers every move. If a driver has a 45 break and gets a phone call after 47mins asking "Why arent you driving?" that isnt good. If youre being loaded, and get a call asking “How much longer you gonna be there?” “We need that load here now,” asking about summat out of your control, then that isnt good. It all adds to pressure. Drivers respond by driving quicker than they should and cutting breaks to the second etc etc. Not good for them, and a high turnover of drivers isnt good for the employer either.

Edit having a speed limiter doesn`t mean 56mph is safe in 30mph limit!

Franglais:

Andrejs:

$$$:

Let me say I havent worked for Maritime and Im talking in general terms.
The pressure comes from having an office worker second guessing a drivers every move. If a driver has a 45 break and gets a phone call after 47mins asking "Why arent you driving?" that isnt good. If youre being loaded, and get a call asking “How much longer you gonna be there?” “We need that load here now,” asking about summat out of your control, then that isnt good. It all adds to pressure. Drivers respond by driving quicker than they should and cutting breaks to the second etc etc. Not good for them, and a high turnover of drivers isnt good for the employer either.

Edit having a speed limiter doesn`t mean 56mph is safe in 30mph limit!

Every single company some drivers work years and years but some drivers jump from company to company and everywhere they not happy.Near all warehouse or factory staff have break limit 30 minute and no more.If company give freedom for drivers that some of them will stop every 30 minute for break,coffee time and taked 1 hours break (instead 45min) simply because he need post at facebook or talk by phone.If drivers was not very well and he taked extra brake that it is another situation.

Interesting read ‘Maritime Training’ welcome to TNuk and always good to hear from the horse’s mouth what the crack is.

I suggested something similar at a meet the bosses brown nosing session recently.
My idea was to attract new passes into the business by the promise of a virtually guaranteed job at the end providing the candidate showed the right attitude.

This ‘Fresh Meat Initiative’ as I called it would tackle the perceived driver shortage (yes I know it’s a myth).

It involved various levels of mentoring like the old days where drivers would cut their teeth by learning first hand from experienced drivers doing the job. This would not only include the usual corporate bollox but also real life lessons including all the pros and cons of the job.

Real world mentoring for the real world, targeting drivers born or living in the UK and shying away from freshly imported flip flops. To be fair some gasps could be heard when I said this almost to the point that I thought I was giving an ■■■■ beads demonstration instead.

Apparently my thoughts did not quite follow the line of ‘company policy’ but they would get back to me.

To be fair I was still ■■■■■■ from the night before and my next suggestion that ‘fleshlights’ should be part of company PPE to help avoid wrist injuries didn’t go down well either.