Uber

Rjan:

muckles:
Also as well as our many qualities as a species, we have failings, we evolved for a very different existance, our brain doesn’t process everything our eyes see,

Neither, evidently, does the computer process everything it sees!

What humans do have is a teleological comprehension and an intimate appreciation of human failings - most of us have operated as pedestrians as well as drivers, and use experience in one context to inform our behaviour in the other.

Humans also learn spontaneously and from the experience of others (through communication), whereas the effect of this crash will not have taught the computer anything (either about the general principles or the particular hazard) and it will be left to humans to review the circumstances and determine how the computer ought to have behaved or assayed the circumstances differently.

Indeed, driving is actually not a particularly “different existence” from the one we have evolved to cope with - we are extraordinarily good at it, not only as operators but as those who have devised it entirely, including the machinery used, the environmental context, and the rules that govern it.

(better than most dogs they’re red/green colour blind which is why you don’t see many with driving licences. :laughing: ) we also have problems concentrating on low stimulus activities, of which driving …

It can be low stimulus but humans tend to adjust the throttle accordingly, to maintain an appropriate rate of stimulus, and maintain an efficient balance between concentration and risk.

Firstly you have cut my post, which has left it out of context, as a reply to Cav551’s post.

Secondly, research shows that many people don’t learn from their mistakes and repeat them, especially those who don’t take responibility and believe somebody else is to blame.

Thirdly, I didn’t say or imply that the systems on an autonomous car see all.

Fourthly, I can only assume you drive in some sort of nirvana or with your head up you arse, if you believe people are counteracting the low stimulus by using the throttle, I see them doing all sorts of other things because their attention has wandered from the task of driving.