Vehicle Driver Data

Hi All,

I’m considering buying an second hand Mercedes (probably an Axor), but I’m quite tall (6’3"), can anybody point me towards any official documents which state the recommended driver height or even the maximum driver height each truck is designed for?

Thanks

CFW

I have nothing.

I started out with nothing, and I’ve still got most of it left.

I started with nothing, but I’ve been lucky enough to double it.

That is lucky I started with nothing and lost the lot

I’m sure there are plenty of 6’ 3" drivers about - even some on here. Just ask if they can manage to fit in an Axor? They always seem pretty roomy to me - I’ve driven worse.

I don’t think manufacturers of motor vehicles publish that kind of info.

I could be wrong but I don’t think I’ve ever seen and specs specifically for drivers of trucks other than I believe a maximum sage working weight for the drivers seat. No idea where I got that idea from but sure I read something somewhere.

perhaps go and find one at a dealer or somewhere, sit in it and see if you fit?

tonyj105:

+1…

I found the Axor to be the second most uncomfortable truck I’ve ever had the misfortune to be given the keys to. The raised floor restrcting the movement your left leg is badly thought out and stems from the vehicle being designed for LHD operation.

You need to sit in one and find out.

Personally, the Axor is way down the bottom of my list of pleasant to drive lorries.

yourhavingalarf:

tonyj105:

+1…

I found the Axor to be the second most uncomfortable truck I’ve ever had the misfortune to be given the keys to. The raised floor restrcting the movement your left leg is badly thought out and stems from the vehicle being designed for LHD operation.

You need to sit in one and find out.

Personally, the Axor is way down the bottom of my list of pleasant to drive lorries.

This ^^^^^. All you have to do when in one is look across and see the size of the passenger footwell - it’s massive.

But the seat goes way back so being over six foot should be ok.

Thanks.

yourhavingalarf, just out of interest what was the most uncomfortable truck?

CleanFifthWheel:
Thanks.

yourhavingalarf, just out of interest what was the most uncomfortable truck?

The short cab…

Scania. The P series I think it’s known as (the P standing for p*ss or poor or pathetic).

The worst LHD to RHD conversion ever! The drivers seat shoehorned in as if the designer suddenly remembered that a driver needed to be put in on that side. The seat unaligned with the steering wheel but the worst thing by far was the engine hump that forced your left leg into the most uncomfortable position I’ve ever experienced. I imagine it’s what one of those stress holds feels like that ISIS or the CIA use to render suspects down. Within minutes of getting in and no matter what I did with the seat position, my left leg started to tingle. After 20 minutes I had to get out walk around and get back in. After an hour all I could do was squat on the drivers seat, put my left leg over the engine hump leaving me sat at 45 degrees to the wheel or sit on my leg and hope I didn’t have to change gear or brake suddenly.

Within two hours the Samaritans had given up… and stopped answering my calls altogether.

Well that’s a first. :smiley:
Are you a perfectionist or something o/p?..(just noticed your username so question answered :smiley: )

I think most trucks cater for all sizes, I’m 6’ 1" and 15+ stone, and in terms of room my Actros is ok.
We have a guy on our firm who is about 5’ he also manages in an identical truck…, that is what seat and steering column adjustments are for !. :bulb: :bulb:

In 30yrs in this game, and driven numerous types of trucks the only one I found unsuitable for my size (and I was nuch thinner then) was a Bedford TK, …so unless you are thinking of buying a one of those, I wouldn’t bother my arse mate. :bulb:
Hope that helps. :laughing:

Axor…

And Actros have different floor plans.

One of which is ok and the other is a pile of dogs mess.

yourhavingalarf:
Axor…

And Actros have different floor plans.

One of which is ok and the other is a pile of dogs mess.

Yeh I know, I did realise he did not have, or want, the same truck as me, I was using my Actros as an example
I’m sure that Axors (or any other truck) have seat and steering column adjustments to cater for all sizes of drivers…that was my whole point. :bulb:

Moving the seat…

Forwards, backwards, up, down or tilting the squab doesn’t stop your left leg from being compromised in an Axor.

Thanks for your help everyone. Ta

I think most truck manufacturers set out parameters that the seat will accommodate something like 90% of the adult male population and 85% of the female…so there is a bias towards the larger human.

Interestingly…many years ago I arranged a truck driving day for the (all female) ad sales staff and designers on the trucking magazine which I edited at the time, with the kind help of Mercedes-Benz.

The smallest of the women struggled to get the seat far enough forward on the Fuso 7.5-tonne truck, which had the smallest cab, to the extent that she couldn’t drive it. But she had no problem fitting into the driver’s seat of the flat-floor Actros. It was really strange…don’t they have short people in Japan?

The problems over the rhd P-Cab have been raised before…there may even have been a court case. Be interesting to see if the all-new P cab is any better in that respect.

I’m 6’ 1’ and agree with the points on the Axor…shocking driving position and no matter how far you have the seat back, the steering column doesn’t even come close to giving a decent driving position, unless you have arms like a Spider Monkey…even our low Spec 15 plate Actros (high roof version of Tesco spec, which replaced the Backsores, aren’t much different)…bit more room for the left foot though because someone took away the clutch pedal!