13 foot unit and 13 foot bridge!

So a chap at work recons low bridges are always a couple of inches higher than the sign states… He recons his unit (at 13 foot high) would easily go under a 13 foot bridge, leaving an inch or two clearance.

If you were driving say a 13 foot unit and approached a bridge of the exact same same height … Would you go under or avoid?

I certainly wouldn’t risk it but he is adament that if the bridge is the same height as your unit then it’s fine to go under.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Gsunder !! :laughing:

It’s to tell you that anything “higher” will most likely have a problem.

There should be clearance, I would go under. I’ve taken a 14’ 6’’ trailer under a 14’ 3’’ bridge but I knew before hand it would go under. the bridge slopes slightly from right to left the 14’ 3’’ was the lowest point, with the suspension lowered and driving on the wrong side of the road it would go under and save a long detour.

The chap at work is right. The sign indicates the maximum safe height, not the actual height. Crack on.

Go under… Slowly and carefully with my head out the window! :laughing:

But seriously, yes you are permitted to take a vehicle thats height is equal to that of the bridge marking, 1" or more over may well be fine but if you do damage then you are held responsible.

One of our boys took a 14ft 6 trailer under that bridge on the A37 between Shelton mallet and Yeovil , which from memory is marked up at 14ft 3 , he got under it and didn’t even drop the suspension :open_mouth: braver man than me

I’d go under, slowly and with the window open, but that’s the clearance height. If it’s a triangular sign, it’s legal though not always advisable, to drive underneath it with a taller trailer than the sign says.

largebloke1969:
One of our boys took a 14ft 6 trailer under that bridge on the A37 between Shelton mallet and Yeovil , which from memory is marked up at 14ft 3 , he got under it and didn’t even drop the suspension :open_mouth: braver man than me

A bridge marked at 14’ 3" would have to have been measured to be 14’ 6" at the very minimum.

facebook.com/groups/1534501 … 016589966/

Ah it’ll be alright, drop the air outta the suspension and it’ll just fit :smiley: when I used to drive scanners for downtowns, the unit and trailer were 12’9 and so was this one bridge near guildford…it was the only way in to Guildford too. Drop the air and hope for the best :smiley:

Why not give it a go at the Blackwall tunnel northbound 13 foot,you will definitely get pushed up the ramp anď given a nice little penalty to go with it.

edit ::: total balls up on the quotes DOH

Stonehouse69:
Ah it’ll be alright, drop the air outta the suspension and it’ll just fit :smiley: when I used to drive scanners for downtowns, the unit and trailer were 12’9 and so was this one bridge near guildford…it was the only way in to Guildford too. Drop the air and hope for the best :smiley:

Stonehouse if you are 12’9 and as you say

so was this one bridge near Guildford

then there isn’t a problem. The height limit is for those above 12’9, so no need to

Drop the air and hope for the best

You will get under it.

bobbya:
Why not give it a go at the Blackwall tunnel northbound 13 foot,you will definitely get pushed up the ramp anď given a nice little penalty to go with it.

No you won’t ! If they measure you and you are at the limit 13’ , then you have not broken the law.
Tilts that are that height will set the alarms off because the roof flows up as the truck is moving along, but the truck is actually at the right height

If the bridge is marked with a round sign it is compulsory and it is an offence to take a vehicle over the given height under it even if you do not hit it. When the old arch in Chepstow was the main road 13 foot six inch buses went through it. Now it is by passed it has a compulsory limit of only 11 feet on it.

pierrot 14:

Stonehouse69:

Stonehouse if you are 12’9 and as you say

so was this one bridge near Guildford

then there isn’t a problem. The height limit is for those above 12’9, so no need to

Drop the air and hope for the best

You will get under it.

bobbya:

No you won’t ! If they measure you and you are at the limit 13’ , then you have not broken the law.
Tilts that are that height will set the alarms off because the roof flows up as the truck is moving along, but the truck is actually at the right height

I am 13 foot and I won’t be about to give a go,A13 for me.

I know of lads that take trailers down the A12 & through the Blackwall tunnel 2/3 inches over the height restriction lol

Even if over height, a big enough run up and keeping it lit (no bottling out) will see it through…after a fashion…

4yorks:
So a chap at work recons low bridges are always a couple of inches higher than the sign states… He recons his unit (at 13 foot high) would easily go under a 13 foot bridge, leaving an inch or two clearance.

If you were driving say a 13 foot unit and approached a bridge of the exact same same height … Would you go under or avoid?

I certainly wouldn’t risk it but he is adament that if the bridge is the same height as your unit then it’s fine to go under.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

He is wrong with saying “always” I am afraid, supposed to be yes, always, definitely not. Have a look at this post where the council changed the height sign from 4.1m to 3.8m after 2 successive strikes by polish trucks with, I understand, standard 4.0m trailers.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=153536

bobbya:

Funny you say that.

I went threw Blackwell tunnel with a artic 13ft scania R450.

The Arial was tapping away.But No problems.
Oh you have to signal right to use 2nd lane for bends and watch the Poles in the air :smiley:

buses:

bobbya:

Funny you say that.

I went threw Blackwell tunnel with a artic 13ft scania R450.

The Arial was tapping away.But No problems.
Oh you have to signal right to use 2nd lane for bends and watch the Poles in the air :smiley:

Surprised you got past the alarms,but fair play you’re braver than me,been through loads of tomes at 12’ 6