On agency naughty list

A while ago I did a job for one of the agencies I work for. The customer got a bit arsey about how long I took. In the end it was a 12 hour day. But they said it should take 8 hours. When I got paid only 8 hours money… Called them and they eventually said the customer would only pay for 8.

Anyway - I called up ACAS and they gave me the info I need. Agency backed down and paid my the money once I passed this info onto them. I’d done nothing wrong - the company just didn’t like drivers who did things like stop for fuel or take their breaks properly.

Since then… no work. Hardly surprising but a bit sad that you will be blacklisted for expecting to be paid for the work you do. I called them asking if any work and their attitude has definitely changed to me.

Anyway… this agency I was on PAYE. How do I get my holiday money? Should I tell them I’m leaving and ask for a p45? Or just stay on books but ask for all my holiday money. Out of the two agencies these were a pain to deal with - so it’s no great loss. And I’ll probably stick with the one agency who have always treated me really good. A little annoying as that agency had the Stobarts contract which would have been nice when I did class 1.

How many days/weeks did you work for the agency?

peirre:
How many days/weeks did you work for the agency?

Only did about 10 shifts for them. But it must be worth £50 in holiday pay.

Never crashed. Never was late to a client. Never didn’t turn up. But did take my breaks as legal and then expected to be paid. So out of principle I want my holiday money.

sammym:
A while ago I did a job for one of the agencies I work for. The customer got a bit arsey about how long I took. In the end it was a 12 hour day. But they said it should take 8 hours. When I got paid only 8 hours money… Called them and they eventually said the customer would only pay for 8.

Anyway - I called up ACAS and they gave me the info I need. Agency backed down and paid my the money once I passed this info onto them. I’d done nothing wrong - the company just didn’t like drivers who did things like stop for fuel or take their breaks properly.

Since then… no work. Hardly surprising but a bit sad that you will be blacklisted for expecting to be paid for the work you do. I called them asking if any work and their attitude has definitely changed to me.

Anyway… this agency I was on PAYE. How do I get my holiday money? Should I tell them I’m leaving and ask for a p45? Or just stay on books but ask for all my holiday money. Out of the two agencies these were a pain to deal with - so it’s no great loss. And I’ll probably stick with the one agency who have always treated me really good. A little annoying as that agency had the Stobarts contract which would have been nice when I did class 1.

Just curious you say it was down to doing things properly. So a break of say an hour in there and a fuel stop of 15 mins, that’s only an hour and a bit. Where did the other 3 hours go? We’re you delayed? Appreciate you say you do things properly with breaks etc, but thats a lot of breaks for 4 hours. You must have been delayed and surely the firm would’ve known?

Freight Dog:

sammym:

Just curious you say it was down to doing things properly. So a break of say an hour in there and a fuel stop of 15 mins, that’s only an hour and a bit. Where did the other 3 hours go? We’re you delayed? Appreciate you say you do things properly with breaks etc, but thats a lot of breaks for 4 hours. You must have been delayed and surely the firm would’ve known?

They knew alright. Started off the day at 4am with a truck that didn’t work. Had to call the service line on my own phone at my own cost to get it sorted (had been left in shunting mode with a secret hidden button to get it working). Bloke from company who was meant to be on call was sleeping and wouldn’t answer the phone. At 7am he did call me but I told him it was sorted by then.

Sent all the texts and ‘evidence’ over to the agency. And in their credit they did say both on the phone and in email they agreed I’d done nothing wrong.

Also need to remember this was on a Saturday in South Wales when Wales were playing rugby. Traffic was a bit tasty.

But that is over and done with - and i did get paid. If they want to offer me no work because I expect to be paid I’m fine with that. Now I just want to get my holiday money :smiley: :smiley: . There are plenty of agencies around - and I won’t lose sleep about leaving this one as they treated me badly.

EDIT - also this company don’t include things like walk around checks in their timing. Apparently that was meant to be done on my own time. They also worked out the 8 hours using google maps. So not for trucks. And not including tipping/loading times. I explained all this to agency. Who did agree. But the cheeky sods still tried not to pay me.

sammym:

Freight Dog:

sammym:

They knew alright. Started off the day at 4am with a truck that didn’t work. Had to call the service line on my own phone at my own cost to get it sorted (had been left in shunting mode with a secret hidden button to get it working). Bloke from company who was meant to be on call was sleeping and wouldn’t answer the phone. At 7am he did call me but I told him it was sorted by then.

Sent all the texts and ‘evidence’ over to the agency. And in their credit they did say both on the phone and in email they agreed I’d done nothing wrong.

Also need to remember this was on a Saturday in South Wales when Wales were playing rugby. Traffic was a bit tasty.

But that is over and done with - and i did get paid. If they want to offer me no work because I expect to be paid I’m fine with that. Now I just want to get my holiday money :smiley: :smiley: . There are plenty of agencies around - and I won’t lose sleep about leaving this one as they treated me badly.

Yeah sounds like a shysting. No idea about the holiday pay. I’d run forest run from that agency. There no steady full time jobs going where you are?

Freight Dog:

sammym:

Freight Dog:

sammym:

Yeah sounds like a shysting. No idea about the holiday pay. I’d run forest run from that agency. There no steady full time jobs going where you are?

I don’t want a full time job. I’ve been offered a great number. But I’m a student full time and use driving to top up my income. And I actually enjoy driving 99% of the time.

I have one agency in Birmingham who are spot on. I’ve messed up and had (relatively minor) crashes twice with them - never had a problem getting paid. And never held it against me. This was an agency in Nottingham which I used becasue my partner lives there - when she was doing a weekend shift at the hospital I could work in the day and we could spend the evenings together. The reality is that I was too tired to do anything with her after spending 15 hours in a truck, so I don’t mind being dropped by this agency.

sammym:

EDIT - also this company don’t include things like walk around checks in their timing. Apparently that was meant to be done on my own time. They also worked out the 8 hours using google maps. .

Bloody ell. Who are these amateurs? Shame you don’t have that in writing. Doing checks on your own unpaid time? Never heard the likes of it. Sounds a right bunch of cowboys.

Freight Dog:

sammym:

EDIT - also this company don’t include things like walk around checks in their timing. Apparently that was meant to be done on my own time. They also worked out the 8 hours using google maps. .

Bloody ell. Who are these amateurs? Shame you don’t have that in writing. Doing checks on your own unpaid time? Never heard the likes of it. Sounds a right bunch of cowboys.

Best part is I do have it in writing… Sort of.

Agency forwarded me the email from their transport manager. Apparently if I’m booked at 4am I should be leaving the yard at 4am. They were upset that I didn’t start engine til 04.09 - but I tried to explain that I needed to find the bloke who didn’t speak english with keys (small operation and on a factory bloke available at that time), then find the truck and open it etc. And I also needed to get the paperwork and see what the hell I was doing. I thought I’d done well to do all that in under 10 mins.

sammym:
(had been left in shunting mode with a secret hidden button to get it working).

'Ello 'ello 'ello. :stuck_out_tongue:

Freight Dog:

sammym:

My daily checks start when my tacho card goes in and that is when I’m paid from ,if card not in I’m not being paid so no work being done

Harry Monk:

sammym:

:laughing:

sammym:
(had been left in shunting mode with a secret hidden button to get it working)…

Please tell us more about this :open_mouth: :bulb:

beefy4605:

sammym:

Cant’ remember the model. But it was a fridge. On the dash near the fridge controls behind a protective cover is a red button. If this is pressed it only goes into first or reverse gear. Now I’d never experienced this before so thought it was a dodgy gearbox/clutch. But apparently it’s put there for yard use.

Would challenge any driver to find the button in the dark if they didn’t know about it.

Harry Monk:

sammym:

Two great minds Harry… :wink:

sammym:

beefy4605:

sammym:

Cant’ remember the model. But it was a fridge. On the dash near the fridge controls behind a protective cover is a red button. If this is pressed it only goes into first or reverse gear. Now I’d never experienced this before so thought it was a dodgy gearbox/clutch. But apparently it’s put there for yard use.

Would challenge any driver to find the button in the dark if they didn’t know about it.

Fair enough - never heard tell of that in 20 years . then again I’m guessing with fridge controls on the dash its not a bendy bus . :smiley:

sammym:

beefy4605:

sammym:

You sure it wasn’t in “night mode”? I’m not taking the ■■■■ but reminds me of this :laughing: :laughing: . I’ve posted this before so apologies

“Thith gearboks is wonkeee” :laughing:

youtu.be/v9t3XBXmtgQ

sammym:

beefy4605:

sammym:

Well, I’ve never heard of one of them before. Every day’s a schoolday as they say. I wonder if by any chance it also stopped the tachograph recording movement?

I can only think it was a Volvo brom brake button

sammym:

You either book a holiday or you leave. Their holiday pay year may end at the end of March so you’ll need to take it or lose it. Stay on the books because with Easter coming you may find you get work again. Agencies are usually bereft of work from Jan to March except for those who’ve been there a long time or shown themselves to be good at the job. Usually picks up again from Easter school holidays.