Night out allowance

Could somebody give me the idiots guide to night out allowance !
I get £26.20 a night and the company are now saying I have to produce receipts or I will start to be taxed on it can somebody clarify this for me because I thought you could receive up to this amount before tax even under the new tax rules ?
Cheers in advance

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Your Co is correct. We have to produce receipts in order to receive our night out money tax free, no receipt of expenditure = £5 tax on N/O money.

The amount on the receipt is incidental btw, it doesn’t have to add up to the amount you receive (mine vary between £3 and £15 per day depending on what I spend or what receipts I can find thrown away at services) :wink:

Wouldn’t you think your employer would pay the tax for you just to save the hassle but no not even for sleeping in a box and minding his gear
How low must it go

Just ask randoms for their receipts near where you are parking - and if you are socially awkward about that have a look in the bins :grimacing:

HMRC will also accept photos of meals, I’m charging £2 at the moment for photos of my sausag…
Hang on we’ve done this recently I think…

If in doubt get creative, HMRC love that.

Here’s one of last week’s meals I chowed down on:

nightline:
Wouldn’t you think your employer would pay the tax for you just to save the hassle but no not even for sleeping in a box and minding his gear
How low must it go

You need to tether that hobby horse for a second Roy Rodgers! It’s HMRC implementing this, not the employers. If we follow your latest offering to its logical conclusion should we also expect our employers to pay our tax and NI too?

nightline:
How low must it go

The hassle of buying a paper and a mars bar and keeping the receipt? It’s your employers accounts dept that are doing the extra work.
If/when we get asked to provide receipt(s) then that’s what I’ll do.

As for ‘sleeping in a box and minding his gear’, I don’t sleep in a box I sleep in my truck which has pretty much most of what I need for the night, a bit like people who go camping, and when I’ve finished for the day I don’t ‘mind’ anything, I’m no longer working or getting paid so it’s no longer my responsibility.

the maoster:
Your Co is correct. We have to produce receipts in order to receive our night out money tax free, no receipt of expenditure = £5 tax on N/O money.

The amount on the receipt is incidental btw, it doesn’t have to add up to the amount you receive (mine vary between £3 and £15 per day depending on what I spend or what receipts I can find thrown away at services) :wink:

I worked for an exhibition company back in the 1990s and we had to put in a certain value of receipts over the course of the week. This was when McDonalds routinely issued receipts so every so often we helped the staff by clearing up any receipts left on the tables at the MSA.

One day I got called into the office and told “We’ve noticed that you don’t seem to eat anything for days at a time then have fifteen or twenty meals in the space of half an hour”. :stuck_out_tongue:

You ever tired get receipts from chippy and butty vans. For a bacon barm I know this will maybe be controversial it’s a barm not a bap bun cob

nightline:
How low must it go

HMRC are doing it everywhere. Taxing subsistence to the hilt. They have a new hard on for it.

edd1974:
You ever tired get receipts from chippy and butty vans. For a bacon barm I know this will maybe be controversial it’s a barm not a bap bun cob

It’s called “a bacon batch” here in the Treacle Triangle. :wink:

Not able to confirm just yet but I believe a certain amount of the night out money can be claimed as a miscellaneous/unaccountable expense, i.e. no receipt needed.

This miscellaneous expense is a handy tax dodge in this case approx £5 of night out money should be acceptable.

As always for clarity seek professional advice not stuff some tax dodger like me comes up with.

No need for receipts if your company can prove you were on a legitimate night out.

Any company with vehicle tracking that records 12 months movements can do this.

Rentadent:

nightline:
How low must it go

The hassle of buying a paper and a mars bar and keeping the receipt? It’s your employers accounts dept that are doing the extra work.
If/when we get asked to provide receipt(s) then that’s what I’ll do.

As for ‘sleeping in a box and minding his gear’, I don’t sleep in a box I sleep in my truck which has pretty much most of what I need for the night, a bit like people who go camping, and when I’ve finished for the day I don’t ‘mind’ anything, I’m no longer working or getting paid so it’s no longer my responsibility.

It’s a tin box nothing else

the maoster:

nightline:
How low must it go

You need to tether that hobby horse for a second Roy Rodgers! It’s HMRC implementing this, not the employers. If we follow your latest offering to its logical conclusion should we also expect our employers to pay our tax and NI too?

Well you missed the point if you don’t hand in receipts he pays the 5 quid
Its not a lot to ask for living in a tin box and been a security guard sure aint people already getting buttons for doing it without that

Freight Dog:
HMRC are doing it everywhere. Taxing subsistence to the hilt. They have a new hard on for it.

No, HMRC are merely applying the same rules to haulage that they’ve applied to everyone else. If you want someone to blame then look at all the “self employed” drivers and the ■■■■ taking they’ve been doing. They’re the reason the flat VAT rates got changed.

Darkside:
No need for receipts if your company can prove you were on a legitimate night out.

Any company with vehicle tracking that records 12 months movements can do this.

If drivers park at company yard or less 20 miles from base that company can t pay legally night out payment with/without reciepr.Because this money not for slleeping in cab but if night away from permanent base.

Conor:

Freight Dog:

No, HMRC are merely applying the same rules to haulage that they’ve applied to everyone else. If you want someone to blame then look at all the “self employed” drivers and the ■■■■ taking they’ve been doing. They’re the reason the flat VAT rates got changed.

They are two entirely different things though, one is about tax on work done, one is about HMRC attempting to tax subsistence allowances when receipts aren’t always available for the expenses incurred- for example the cleaning of bedding, meals taken where receipts are not provided, the cost of phone calls home etc.

I rarely eat from truck stops etc, I buy and prepare most of my meals, this became a problem for issuing receipts as I always get my food when me and the wife go shopping. The dates didn’t add up correctly as I wasn’t away when doing the shopping, its a real pain as I now have to buy my food on the dates I am away. I now usually just give one main receipt once a week and from this date.

edd1974:
I know this will maybe be controversial it’s a barm not a bap bun cob

I agree…

It is controversial. It’s a roll.