A5 Hinckley double decker route advice please

Hello

After a bit of advice please

A5 Southbound , South of Atherstone can I turn left onto A47 before Hinckley with a double decker and get back onto M1 Southbound at Leicester ?

Seem to remember if I turn right and go through Nuneaton there is a railway bridge on that route ?

Thanks in advance

yes you can turn left at A47 and head towards Leicester…bit of a trek though.i’m sure there is a route through Hinckley itself,avoiding the 15’ A5 bridge.

Thanks for the speedy reply

i’ve just looked at what i thought was a route through Hinckley,but that is a non-decker friendly bridge as well :frowning:
so it looks like head towards Leicester on the A47,passing over the M1 at Leicester Forest East,then i would turn left at the next main set of lights (might be a bit tight),towards Leicester Western by-pass,and left onto the M1 South bound…or straight over those lights,up to the next roundabout,and turn right for the M1.

Where exactly do you mean as I know the area well so I can help

Turn south on A444 and get onto the M6 S,
That’s what I did with HC this morn on A5 southbound.
Went that way as matrix signs said M6 choca through Brum.

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

Big Truck:
Turn south on A444 and get onto the M6 S,
That’s what I did with HC this morn on A5 southbound.
Went that way as matrix signs said M6 choca through Brum.

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

That’s the way I’d go. Turn right off A5 just after Tywcross turn, follow into Nuneaton onto a one way system where there is a 14ft 3in bridge in front of you do keep following it around. Will be signposted Bedworth/Coventry/M6 and will bring you to J3 then head south to join M1 at J19.

carryfast-yeti:
i’ve just looked at what i thought was a route through Hinckley,but that is a non-decker friendly bridge as well :frowning:
so it looks like head towards Leicester on the A47,passing over the M1 at Leicester Forest East,then i would turn left at the next main set of lights (might be a bit tight),towards Leicester Western by-pass,and left onto the M1 South bound…or straight over those lights,up to the next roundabout,and turn right for the M1.

There’s a fairly straightforward route through the town centre, crossing over the railway on the Burbage Road. You can then either continue on to join the M69 at J2 and head towards Leicester and the M1, or rejoin the A5 South of the Hinckley Island and pick up the M1 at either J20 (Lutterworth) or J18 (Crick).

Thanks all

Just trying to have a plan A B and C to cope with the night time closures around there and with the double decker don`t like new routes :open_mouth:

Depends which way you go. Heading from the west, from Tamworth, just before the bridge turn up the a 47, up to Earl Shilton, Then turn right past Elmswell and Stoney Stanton, through the village, down to the T-junction by Cobleys, Left then right, then joining up on the lutterworth Road, Having turned right at the traffic lights. Down into Letchworth. Rejoin motorway.

I’m sure there is a far easier route, but I do variations of that.

Roymondo:

carryfast-yeti:

There’s a fairly straightforward route through the town centre, crossing over the railway on the Burbage Road. You can then either continue on to join the M69 at J2 and head towards Leicester and the M1, or rejoin the A5 South of the Hinckley Island and pick up the M1 at either J20 (Lutterworth) or J18 (Crick).

thanks Roymondo… i thought there was a way through somewhere :slight_smile:

A5 to Long Shoot Motel TL -TR - Roundabout TL - Keep Ind Est on right - as you go past the Ind Est over the Railway bridge- roundabout TL - follow the road out of Nuneaton past Bramcote / Gamecock Barracks to X roads TL to A5 /M69 roundabout

^^^^^ they recently put a weight limit (18T iirc) on the road past the barracks.

the maoster:
^^^^^ they recently put a weight limit (18T iirc) on the road past the barracks.

Yes - a weak bridge on that road.

Roymondo:

the maoster:

Yes - a weak bridge on that road.

Thought that weight limit had been there for years

No, the decision to impose the limit (on the canal bridge) was made in 2016, and the relevant notices were publicised in June of that year. Before that there was no restriction on that particular bridge. I used to use that road quite often in an artic when going from my last drop of the day at the George Eliot hospital back to our depot at Magna Park. Still use it now (but only in an 18 tonne rigid - and we don’t have the depot at Magna Park).