Working for Jewson

Hi all,

Passed my class 2 in december and have an interview for Jewson on friday. Has anyone ever worked here before? What is the job like and any idea on what the pay is please?

They seem to be permanently advertising,Make from that what you will.
But a jobs a job so hopefully you’ll enjoy it.

Hi mate, I had a mate who worked for Jewson, he was ok there and only left because offered more money elsewhere. He was salaried and on around 20k if I remember right, he did every other Saturday but never started before 7am. He was delivering to houses/building sites so been as you’re new you will get plenty experience. They also put him through HIAB and CPCs. I suppose get your foot in the door build your experience with them uppers your chances elsewhere.

I’ve done a bit of work through agency for another well-known builders merchants. And they asked me on the side if I would be interested in a full time job - and were offering £28k working one saturday or sunday every other week. They’d put me through my HIAB etc - and generally the drivers seem to be treated pretty well.

Hours are pretty good. You generally finish at a reasonable time. And the equipment is in reasonably good condition.

But… it’s no fun taking a 26t truck in residential areas. Having to deliver when cars are double parked on the road. And then having to turn around. The turning circle of a 26t vehicle is bigger than a cruise ship. It’s ridiculous. Even finding a place to park the wagon can be a nightmare. And don’t expect any help from customers when you deliver. Some will try and make you take it through to the garden etc… Your job is to drop it off outside their house.

And they are very H&S mental. Think that they lose their minds if they see you on the bed without your hardhat on. I did try and point out that if I feel a helmet with no straps was not going to help me. But they insisted either way.

Overall I think it’s okay. I’ll go back on agency. I don’t use the HIAB so take stuff you can lift off. When I do it I’m often finished after 4 or 5 hours and get paid for 8 so I can’t complain.

Probably a good place to start and get some valuable experience. Moneys never great at builders merchants but if you can get your hiab ticket and gain the experience all will be good.
P.s, practice looking smug for when you sail passed all the waiting trucks delivering to your depot and get priority loading [emoji4]

Jewson and travis perkins are always advertising in Manchester. I keep.thinking about it. As seem.have decent wagons. Get hiab out of it gain experience then move on to better things… Just the idea of having work every other sat puts me off. .least where I am now get weekends off

edd1974:
Jewson and travis perkins are always advertising in Manchester. I keep.thinking about it. As seem.have decent wagons. Get hiab out of it gain experience then move on to better things… Just the idea of having work every other sat puts me off. .least where I am now get weekends off

If it will be better experience I would go for it. 6 months experience would make you far more employable (based on your post I’m assuming your inexperienced).

Call 6 months 26 weeks and that makes 13 Saturdays- that are usually done around lunch time from adverts I have seen. Book 2 weeks holiday in that 6 months, make sure its your Saturday weeks and thats 11 Saturday’s (probably only mornings) to gain 6 months experience and your Hiab ticket.

If you need the experience and/or need the Hiab training that seems like a good trade off to me

The only thing is if you get your hiab ticket at their cost they will expect you to sign an agreement saying you’ll stay there for longer than 6 months or you’ll have to pay them back. If they put yard lads through their class 2 they expect them to stay 2 years iirc.

I did exactly 1 year with Jewsons…if I wasn’t contracted for at least a year then I would have gone after 1 month!
The job itself is pretty decent and it will challange your driving skills.
I was sent away for a week to learn the HIAB, defensive driving, H&S etc etc. Head office want you to do it by the book…the reality is the branch is run by the sales team and they will try and run you ragged in order to reach their sales target.
The tipping point for me was the day I left the yard with 8 drops and I hadnt got 30 yards when the phone rang demanding to know wehn I would be back to deliver another 8 drops! The phone was chucked across the cab and notice handed in on return.
Their is a huge difference in how head office wants you to work and how the branch expect you to work.

The plus side is the hours are 07:30 - 17:00, the down side is all the above comments.

Hmm well i think ill go the interview and see what they say seems like a lot of mixed reviews. Thanks for the info all.

End of the day if the job is offered take it. As am guessing being a new pass you haven’t done much. I had same problem when I 1st past 4 years ago all could get was agency work . As same old chestnut. No experience but how can get experience without anyone taking you on.so I’d take it gain the experience and then move on to better things

They told me at the interview the salary is 22.5k which isnt bad for my area. Hours 7.30 till 5pm and every other sat 8-12

I worked for Jewsons years back when they had the yellow trucks. I really enjoyed the local work and the challenge of tight places. I was working for an agency when I started but Jewson took me off the agency and I worked directly with them. we used to have a good crack and most of the local builders were a good bunch. the huge downside for me was the money. I would have stayed but my savings dwindled. If the money is ok for you its not a bad job. Maybe in the intervening years H&S has gone a bit mad but it has everywhere. oh and the manager at my branch was a bit of a ■■■■.

Well lads been offered the job… Decision time

ManUtd1983:
Well lads been offered the job… Decision time

How did you get on I went for an interview for jewson and waiting for a reply would like to know how you got on

edd1974:

all the local ones to use, advertise weekly, and weekly I apply, never ever get a call back :frowning: must be somehting baout me

edd1974:

all the local ones to use, advertise weekly, and weekly I apply, never ever get a call back must be somehting baout me and i;ve got hiab and ftl tickets :frowning:

Take your CV and go to the local branch. Sometimes the web sites don’t work as well

Don’t mention concentration camps