Drivers who won’t take their holidays

Drivers who don’t use their holidays throughout the year and are quite happy with this and quite happy to lose them just because they don’t want other drivers using the truck. I understand we live in the truck rather than just work in them and when a driver gets in who doesn’t care and leaves it dirty it is annoying. But not taking holidays just to stop the company letting another driver use it…is it just me or does anyone else think that’s a bit sad and these drivers need to get a life away from the job.

To be honest I’ve never heard of it happening, but if people really do go without holidays just to stop anyone else using their vehicle it’s very sad, in fact it’s more than sad it’s bloody pathetic.

But like I said I’ve never heard of it happening.

Sent from my mobile.

tachograph:
To be honest I’ve never heard of it happening, but if people really do go without holidays just to stop anyone else using their vehicle it’s very sad, in fact it’s more than sad it’s bloody pathetic.

Sent from my mobile.

I know for a fact it happens where I work.

Rowley010:

tachograph:

Sent from my mobile.

That’s very sad indeed [emoji17]

Where I am drivers are given a chance to book holidays if they don’t then they are allocated and must take them

blue estate:

Rowley010:

tachograph:

Sent from my mobile.

That’s very sad indeed [emoji17]

Glad it’s not just me then who thinks that

When will some employed drivers realise that the truck is not theirs ! It belongs to the company or owner and he/she can put who they like at any time in drivers seat

On my first ever shift I damaged a trampers rigid. It was a week old fancy Volvo and was very nice. But the damage was purely cosmetic. I do feel bad about it - and I think I’ve improved a bit since then.

But apparently according to other agency drivers I work with the driver is so mad about it he keeps asking for my name as he wants to fight me. He apparently asks the office to book me so we can ‘have it out’.

For context, we are talking the curtain being scraped and the cable to the tail lift being severed. Just goes to show how overly emotional some people can get over their work tools.

sammym:
On my first ever shift I damaged a trampers rigid. It was a week old fancy Volvo and was very nice. But the damage was purely cosmetic. I do feel bad about it - and I think I’ve improved a bit since then.

But apparently according to other agency drivers I work with the driver is so mad about it he keeps asking for my name as he wants to fight me. He apparently asks the office to book me so we can ‘have it out’.

For context, we are talking the curtain being scraped and the cable to the tail lift being severed. Just goes to show how overly emotional some people can get over their work tools.

■■■■ sake :laughing:

sammym:

Sammy, if he’s a tramper it’s like a 2nd home. Don’t need bling he just looks after it, he goes on holiday, comes back and finds damage. I’d be a bit peeved too.
Imagine you’ve got a really nice property and you rent it out. At the end of the rental agreement you go and visit the property and it’s been trashed, how would you feel? Yeah the lodgers will lose their deposit probably, but you worked on that property just to see it trashed.!!

pierrot 14:

sammym:

Sammy, if he’s a tramper it’s like a 2nd home. Don’t need bling he just looks after it, he goes on holiday, comes back and finds damage. I’d be a bit peeved too.
Imagine you’ve got a really nice property and you rent it out. At the end of the rental agreement you go and visit the property and it’s been trashed, how would you feel? Yeah the lodgers will lose their deposit probably, but you worked on that property just to see it trashed.!!

Only a rigid though, so not a proper driver :sunglasses:

It’s not only truck drivers, I’ve worked with people who won’t take holidays because they are either so obsessive about thier job they think the company can’t operate without them or they’re so paranoid that they think something might happen they haven’t been able to be part of and I’m not talking about management but jumped up [zb] that think they run the place. :imp:

pierrot 14:

sammym:

Totally get that.

But who is really in the wrong here. The company who hands over the keys to the bloke with zero experience? Without an induction or any assessment. Or the driver who did his best - but ran out of skill/luck. On my test I did a very basic reverse around cones. Going from that to a blindside onto a bay in a bigger vehicle (18t vs 12t) was only going to ever be luck if I made it. I was taught to reverse using number of turns at a certain time.

And what would fighting me achieve? I’d happily apologize to him. I’d happily hold my hands up and say I messed up. But to attack me over this and to run around telling other agency drivers what he wants to do is childish and moronic in my opinion.

In answer to your question - I’d be really annoyed if my home were damaged. Really upset. I’d never hit someone over it. Because it would get me nowhere. I’m currently out of action at uni because a flood in the new labs destroyed all my equipment - over a million quids worth. I don’t want to beat up the plumber, I want it to be resolved.

muckles:
It’s not only truck drivers, I’ve worked with people who won’t take holidays because they are either so obsessive about thier job they think the company can’t operate without them or they’re so paranoid that they think something might happen they haven’t been able to be part of and I’m not talking about management but jumped up [zb] that think they run the place. :imp:

Couple of our drivers don’t take all their holidays, despite nagging and we don’t have a one truck one driver policy obviously with us doing double manning.

Last proper holiday I had was in '91, since then I’ve had three fortnights over the Xmas shutdown and two one weeks in Jersey, the last one involved turging Mr albions ashes off the pier at St Brelade, so not much of a break. :confused:

Truth is, I haven’t a clue what to do with time off. :unamused:

Vid:
Only a rigid though, so not a proper driver :sunglasses:

Don’t let that bendy licence go to your head mate. I’ve seen artic drivers before trying to reverse a four-wheeler, pure comedy.

even worse when they exchange a weeks holiday for a shiny light bar that they never own on a motor they don’t own.told a mates eldest once instead of doing that …just give your dad and me the money for a good night out.

Blimey it wasn’t unusual for me to take all of my 4 week entitlement and also take a week or two unpaid too.From memory it then increased to 5 weeks after 10 years service and didn’t ever volunteer to take less than that from that point either. :smiley:

sammym:

pierrot 14:

sammym:

Totally get that.

But who is really in the wrong here. The company who hands over the keys to the bloke with zero experience? Without an induction or any assessment. Or the driver who did his best - but ran out of skill/luck. On my test I did a very basic reverse around cones. Going from that to a blindside onto a bay in a bigger vehicle (18t vs 12t) was only going to ever be luck if I made it. I was taught to reverse using number of turns at a certain time.

And what would fighting me achieve? I’d happily apologize to him. I’d happily hold my hands up and say I messed up. But to attack me over this and to run around telling other agency drivers what he wants to do is childish and moronic in my opinion.

In answer to your question - I’d be really annoyed if my home were damaged. Really upset. I’d never hit someone over it. Because it would get me nowhere. I’m currently out of action at uni because a flood in the new labs destroyed all my equipment - over a million quids worth. I don’t want to beat up the plumber, I want it to be resolved.

Not trying put you down here but moving to a different vehicle shouldn’t be pure luck if you make it on to a bay, especially as an agency driver you could drive 5 different vehicles a week! Surely in the rigid looking in the mirrors its easy to tell if you’re about to hit something and if you aren’t sure, check!

I was never bothered about someone else driving my allocated vehicle. No one likes damage or theft. I’ve had both but the biggest ball ache I have had is getting the truck back or waiting for it.

To explain. I parked my lorry and left the keys and went home, a week later I get a call at 8am, hi, your lorry is loading in Manchester, he will pick you up about 11am. At 10pm the lorry has arrived and now we have to drive to Belgium or France. There are other examples. I have sat waiting for a call all day to be told they are still in France and take an extra days holiday. Next year, stuff having a week off [emoji14]

I work 4 and 4 so rarely need vacation time unless we’re going somewhere , great driving partner too who looks after the truck . We get paid out for unused holiday time which is a nice bonus , saying that , last December I’d got so much time built up I just said ■■■■ it and took the month off .