Lorries in bus lanes

From your lovable…

BBC.

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-43343710

The comments section has the usual ‘ban lorries more trains’ brigade as well as a few tree huggers and loony lefties.

I believe Liverpool has abandoned bus lanes altogether. If that’s so does anyone have any thoughts to share about the difference this has made to traffic flow there?

TiredAndEmotional:
I believe Liverpool has abandoned bus lanes altogether. If that’s so does anyone have any thoughts to share about the difference this has made to traffic flow there?

I don’t know about the time to get into Liverpool. I’ve been told that no one can get out quickly enough.

[emoji2]
Sorry

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

There are parts of London and suburbs that already do this and have been for quite a while. A23 at Coulsdon towards Croydon comes to mind, there are others, wont name them all.

pierrot 14:
There are parts of London and suburbs that already do this and have been for quite a while. A23 at Coulsdon towards Croydon comes to mind, there are others, wont name them all.

Guildford town centre

Franglais:
[
I don’t know about the time to get into Liverpool. I’ve been told that no one can get out quickly enough.

[emoji2]
Sorry

Took Sir Ken well tickle me 90 years

Wont work in most as there’s usually cars parked in the timed ones out of hours which i suspect also doesn’t help the cyclists using it.

Since its under certain circumstances, thats the same as timed bus lanes anyway which we can already use (out of hours), so pretty pointless.

What they need to do is reduce all bus lanes hours to when the buses are actually busy like 8-9am or scrap them.

trevHCS:
Wont work in most as there’s usually cars parked in the timed ones out of hours which i suspect also doesn’t help the cyclists using it.

Since its under certain circumstances, thats the same as timed bus lanes anyway which we can already use (out of hours), so pretty pointless.

What they need to do is reduce all bus lanes hours to when the buses are actually busy like 8-9am or scrap them.

Or keep priority lanes for buses and subsidise them more. Having better public transport (cleaner, nicer, cheaper, QUICKER) means less cars with one occupant taking up road space. Less traffic means we all win.

We have had this for years in Exeter, majority of bus lanes can be used by HGVs, works well enough if you keep your eyes out for unsuspecting motorists at the merge in points…

TiredAndEmotional:

Often wondered what gives councils the right to take a lane that we pay for and make it a bus lane with threats of fines if we drivers venture into them during operational times,most times hardly any bus is on them unless it’s london,classic case is the bus lane at hampton court near kingston surrey,used to be 7am until 10am,now it’s until 7pm,up until that point everything ran smoothly,now it’s jammed virtually every day going towards hampton court

In our towns and cities the road planners are missing out on a massive opportunity to get the traffic moving.
They always complain that too many people now drive everywhere instead of walking, if that’s true we don’t need some of these really wide footpaths at each side of the road and they could be made into extra lanes.

That would get the traffic moving! :open_mouth:

masetheace:
We have had this for years in Exeter, majority of bus lanes can be used by HGVs, works well enough if you keep your eyes out for unsuspecting motorists at the merge in points…

Just for your information the correct name for a lane for LGV’s over 7.5 tons and buses is a pollution lane. In Exeter these lanes were designed to get the biggest polluters out of the city to improve air quality. You will notice that in Exeter they are where schools or leisure centres are.

Mik…So why are they named BUS LANES then… :smiley:

anyway, sounds a good idea…but i think they should let HGV`s use Cycle lanes first…then step to bus lanes next…unless theyre called…Lycra Lanes. !!

Without looking at G/map, I’m sure that the Bristol ring road has the same.

Seems the snow may have made some pwers that be see sense,that part about cyclists safety,i reckon they should have more cycle lanes installed,oh,hang on a minute cos they wouldn’t use them they would just cycle on the road and try to pick arguments with drivers and then threaten them with being put on social media,in the old days of facebook it might have meant something,now if i was one who was threatened with facebook,i would reply '‘go ahead,look forward to it’'it just don’t hold that much power anymore same as any site these cyclists put you on,at the very least if you saw yourself on these sites you could give a good account of yourself in reply if you feel you are in the right