Good long term career to get into?

peirre:
Slightly off topic
I was chatting this morning to a friend who does admin/book keeping at the Stockyard, theyre advertising for a drivers mate, and so far in the 1st 24hrs since the vacancy was advertised theyve had 57 applicants apply for the post

Years ago when I ran an agency desk, it was one job we rarely had to struggle for applicants to fill; until they’d done it for a day. Most of the work was as porters for Ryder Systemcare in Derby (home delivery of appliances/furniture) and it could either be a doddle or a nightmare, depending on which driver or run you ended up with. It was quite well paid too for a labourer’s job at the time. I speak from experience as I occasionally had to go out and do it myself if a temp didn’t show up and no replacement could be found.

The actual issue was finding blokes who could turn up halfway presentable and on time, could read and write, be civil to customers and didn’t mind a bit of handball. Most of the good ones we kept had a background in removals or similar, but there were many who only did one day and either didn’t want to go back or we were told not to send them again. My bet is that your friend will struggle to find five decent ones out of that lot.