How many hours is too many?

Hello chaps,

Out of curiosity how many hours would you say is too many? (If such thing exists in this line of work). I knew when making the step up to class 1 work instead of the class 2 local pallet distribution I’d be doing a lot more hours but wasn’t sure exactly how many. Last week I handed a time sheet in and I’d spent 69.75 hours at work and a couple of nights out as well (with 6.75 hours in breaks leaving my working time at 63 hours). To make it worse I’m salaried and if I divide my hours worked by my weekly pay, I’ve barely earned £8.70 an hour for last weeks work (which is only a small amount more than the class 2 work hourly rate wise).

Is there a point at which you’d be inclined to mention to you employer about the amount of hours your doing or is it the sort of thing where you’d get laughed at as we’re all expected to work crazy hours no matter what?

Ps. I don’t think I’m terribly hard done to and I haven’t made the thread to try and make out I’m some super worker. Just genuinely interested in your opinions thanks

Well for a start your over the legal max of 60hrs working between weekly rests at 63hrs!

Personally if salaried I’d be doing a lot less around 50 or so after breaks less if could get away with it. What’s your contracted hours?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

35 is quite enough thank you . Its the law and i have a life .

dcgpx:
Well for a start your over the legal max of 60hrs working between weekly rests at 63hrs!

Personally if salaried I’d be doing a lot less around 50 or so after breaks less if could get away with it. What’s your contracted hours?

I haven’t been given a contract. On class 2 I’d know when I’d be starting every day and roughly what time I’d be finishing, since moving onto the class 1 I haven’t been told anything hours wise or given a contract stating what my hours should be.

Redrum:

dcgpx:

I haven’t been given a contract. On class 2 I’d know when I’d be starting every day and roughly what time I’d be finishing, since moving onto the class 1 I haven’t been told anything hours wise or given a contract stating what my hours should be.

Somewhere you will have one, whether they gave you a copy is another thing!

I’d ask for it as it give you an idea of what’s expected, usually they say what your day hours are, for example mine says max of 10hrs working ( work nights) our day drivers say std hours of 9 minus break so 8 1/4 per day with expectations to do some overtime as business requires. But no way we do hours you’ve done. At 55 our lot are saying enough hours this week thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let ME be the first to say it !!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Are you paid by the hour :question: :question: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Crack on !!!

pierrot 14:
Let ME be the first to say it !!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Are you paid by the hour :question: :question: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Crack on !!!

I’m not, that’s part of the problem :laughing:

If you re-read the first post you’ll get an idea of what I’m being paid

Your company is legally required to monitor your hours over an agreed reference period, either 17 weeks or 26 weeks. 60 hours is the maximum hours of work you can record in any week and the average over the reference period can’t exceed 48 hours work. Your employer is a cowboy.

Redrum:
Last week I handed a time sheet in and I’d spent 69.75 hours at work and a couple of nights out as well (with 6.75 hours in breaks leaving my working time at 63 hours).

If a company does deduct breaks then traditionally only the first 45 minutes is stopped so maybe you aren’t filling in your timesheet correctly?

I work on starting at 0600 and finishing at 1800. The finish time can be a bit of a moveable feast but it averages out at that.

Redrum:
Out of curiosity how many hours would you say is too many? (If such thing exists in this line of work). I knew when making the step up to class 1 work instead of the class 2 local pallet distribution I’d be doing a lot more hours but wasn’t sure exactly how many. Last week I handed a time sheet in and I’d spent 69.75 hours at work and a couple of nights out as well (with 6.75 hours in breaks leaving my working time at 63 hours). To make it worse I’m salaried and if I divide my hours worked by my weekly pay, I’ve barely earned £8.70 an hour for last weeks work (which is only a small amount more than the class 2 work hourly rate wise).

I have seen these local pallet delivery-type outfits and it looks hard work, so if you’re doing 63 hours graft (as opposed to work as the tachograph records it) per week on one of those, then for your own sake you want out of there as quickly as possible.

You may well end up doing 70-hour weeks on an artic, but it is entirely feasible in many such jobs for 30 of those to be spent sitting playing with your phone, asleep, or engaged in whatever other unproductive activity you can think of while being tipped or loaded. Likewise, if you are fortunate, you may drop on to a cushy salaried number based on a 45-hour working week.

As for me, like I posted in another thread, a 35-hour working week is plenty.

Harry Monk:

Redrum:
Last week I handed a time sheet in and I’d spent 69.75 hours at work and a couple of nights out as well (with 6.75 hours in breaks leaving my working time at 63 hours).

If a company does deduct breaks then traditionally only the first 45 minutes is stopped so maybe you aren’t filling in your timesheet correctly?

I work on starting at 0600 and finishing at 1800. The finish time can be a bit of a moveable feast but it averages out at that.

I’m usually putting my card in at 05:45 (to do checks and leave the yard for 06:00) and usually finishing around 20:00

It’s very rare I’ll spend less than 13/14 hours at work

TiredAndEmotional:
Your company is legally required to monitor your hours over an agreed reference period, either 17 weeks or 26 weeks. 60 hours is the maximum hours of work you can record in any week and the average over the reference period can’t exceed 48 hours work. Your employer is a cowboy.

I don’t often agree with you TandE but ^^^^^^^^^^ THIS 100%

It’s not necessarily ‘hard work’, I’m off the local pallet side now so I’m usually doing 2 or 3 drops a day and a collection on the way back

Redrum:
I’m usually putting my card in at 05:45 (to do checks and leave the yard for 06:00) and usually finishing around 20:00

If you are doing 14-plus hours every day on what from the sound of it is a five-day week, you will have a major problem if you are stopped by the DVSA because you are failing to have enough daily rest on a regular basis.

As has been said, your employer is a cowboy. Find another job as soon as possible.

Olog Hai:

Redrum:

If you are doing 14-plus hours every day on what from the sound of it is a five-day week, you will have a major problem if you are stopped by the DVSA because you are failing to have enough daily rest on a regular basis.

As has been said, your employer is a cowboy. Find another job as soon as possible.

Am I right in thinking that as long as I have 11 hours (on a non reduced rest) between my card being taken out of the tacho and being put in the following day that I’m ok on the daily rest side? Quite often I’ll just about manage to have the right amount of rest. When I get my card read I usually show no infringements. I will use 2 reduced rests a week.

Redrum:

Harry Monk:

Redrum:

Hopefully at least twice a week.

Redrum:

Olog Hai:

Redrum:

Am I right in thinking that as long as I have 11 hours (on a non reduced rest) between my card being taken out of the tacho and being put in the following day that I’m ok on the daily rest side? Quite often I’ll just about manage to have the right amount of rest. When I get my card read I usually show no infringements. I will use 2 reduced rests a week.

Are you using POA? That will reduce the 63 “worked” hours if so

Redrum:

Do you download your card at least once a week? How long have you worked there? You need to start running legal friend and tomorrow would be a good time to start.

I may have over exaggerated on the hours posted, I haven’t been racking up any infringements so I can’t be doing 13/14 hours every day. I am just under the legal limit though, I use my reduced and the other days I’ll usually just get 11 hours off. The time sheet in the OP is correct.

TiredAndEmotional:

Redrum:

Do you download your card at least once a week? How long have you worked there? You need to start running legal friend and tomorrow would be a good time to start.

Usually once a month, it is due to be downloaded so I’ll get it done tomorrow and report back on here as to whether there are any issues. Does sound like I could be a little muddled up but the time sheet at the top is definitely correct. I’ve worked over 60 hours and don’t use POA