Use of showers

Was loading at a transport depot the other day, (a well known one) and I asked in office firstly, …If I ever come here again too late in day would I be allowed to park in their yard (after spying a nice little country pub across the road :smiley: ) The guy says…
‘‘I suppose so…, but only if you aint foreign’’ :open_mouth: …which kinda showed the measure of this prick. :unamused:
When I asked to use the shower, he said it was for their own drivers only, but made up some excuse that the boiler was knackered anyway, …(ignoring the guy next to him who said it was ok)
I then got from him the old standard urban myth ■■■■■■■■ about the famous guy ‘‘Who last time ■■■■ in the shower’’…(I must have followed this legendary crapper around for last 30 yrs. :unamused: :laughing: )
After letting him see I was offended by the implication, and telling him that ‘I was quite civilised’ in that dept thanks, …he still refused me.

Just thought I would have expected more empathy and co.operation from another transport outfit, but there you go. :unamused:

Had plenty of refreshing showers in summer by tipping a 3 gallon can of cold water over me self whilst standing up the near side ,also I’ve bathed in rivers & lochs too :open_mouth:

Rob
Think this kind of subject follows on from Nicks post about waiting rooms unfortunately,you do wonder looking at some “facilities” who or what has been there before.

Punchy Dan:
Had plenty of refreshing showers in summer by tipping a 3 gallon can of cold water over me self whilst standing up the near side ,also I’ve bathed in rivers & lochs too :open_mouth:

I see you as some kind of Western old style Mountain Man style trucker Dan, …a cross between Grizzly Adams and Davy Crockett. :smiley:
‘‘The King of The Wild Frontier’’…in a Foden. :sunglasses:
:wink: :laughing:

robroy:

Punchy Dan:

I see you as some kind of Western old style Mountain Man style trucker Dan, …a cross between Grizzly Adams and Davy Crockett. :smiley:
‘‘The King of The Wild Frontier’’…in a Foden. :sunglasses:
:wink: :laughing:

You can see how the H&S brigade hate me … Until it suits them when a Fred Dibner style job needs doing :open_mouth:

Rob, this has just got to be an English thing, I mean as in places in England where I/you/we , load/unload! It doesnt happen here. RDC’s in France have a parking area for the trucks when you arrive ( a bit like Morrisons in Kent ), you park up and walk to the security hut, well more like a house actually, sign in and then enter the premises, go to goods-in and then … you know the rest. My point is, that security building will have toilets, coffee and maybe snack vending machines and “showers” for the drivers. Not just RDC’s, I load in fromageries, (cheeseries), cold stores, etc. they all have the facility to shower and they are all clean and spotless. Is it because there is more respect here ? Just wondered.
Oh and as a P.S. when you’re tipped, you can park up in that area by the security house for your night out.

I’ve been to many a company, were they’ve spouted the, other drivers ruined it story, for our drivers only etc, the showers broken,

I have become a dab hand at guessing the code for numerous showers around, also I carry a shower hose and head( for the broken shower), if challenged I say" that driver who left gave me code" but as robroy said “been following the crapper around for years”

Last time I delivered to a railway depot in Rouen I helped my self to a shower and parked up in there too ,they even gave 2 packs of old sleepers which I used in my garden .

pierrot 14:
Rob, this has just got to be an English thing, I mean as in places in England where I/you/we , load/unload! It doesnt happen here. RDC’s in France have a parking area for the trucks when you arrive ( a bit like Morrisons in Kent ), you park up and walk to the security hut, well more like a house actually, sign in and then enter the premises, go to goods-in and then … you know the rest. My point is, that security building will have toilets, coffee and maybe snack vending machines and “showers” for the drivers. Not just RDC’s, I load in fromageries, (cheeseries), cold stores, etc. they all have the facility to shower and they are all clean and spotless. Is it because there is more respect here ? Just wondered.
Oh and as a P.S. when you’re tipped, you can park up in that area by the security house for your night out.

Our sister place in Reims has a spotless shower block with piping hot water, a drivers room with comfy chairs and tv c/w coffee machine plus a cafe which is open 6 days a week 5am through to 10pm. Any driver visiting the yard is welcome to use all the facilities without exception. Exactly how it should be. Very rarely have i been there to see anything dirty or abused…

Daytrunker:
Rob
Think this kind of subject follows on from Nicks post about waiting rooms unfortunately,you do wonder looking at some “facilities” who or what has been there before.

That’s right, my own main depot’s ‘‘driver’s facilities’’ is a complete crap hole :unamused: , they come back with ‘‘Well drivers won’t keep it tidy’’ which ok, is fair comment, but that is why every establishments from offices to pubs employ cleaners ffs. :bulb: , if everywhere took that attitude, there would not be a clean khazi in the whole ■■■■ country. :bulb:

XPO at wilton have a sign up at the traffic window…"there are no toilet facilities on this site ".
Its the only place Ive come across where they dont even want you to use to toilet. I suppose a shower there would be out of the question.
How mean spirited have you to be to put up a sign like that. Maybe they just like to watch drivers use the side of the truck.

I think one of the problems, is it’s an English thing of breaking, vandalising anything and everything that’s nice, it’s breed into some thickets, it starts at school with blocking the toilets with big roll to flood the school and get sent home,…

cheekymonkey:
XPO at wilton have a sign up at the traffic window…"there are no toilet facilities on this site ".
Its the only place Ive come across where they dont even want you to use to toilet. I suppose a shower there would be out of the question.
How mean spirited have you to be to put up a sign like that. Maybe they just like to watch drivers use the side of the truck.

Not at all, they are probably sick and tired of having the facilities trashed or left in a §hit state!!!§HIT being the operative word !!

biggriffin:
I think one of the problems, is it’s an English thing of breaking, vandalising anything and everything that’s nice, it’s breed into some thickets, it starts at school with blocking the toilets with big roll to flood the school and get sent home,…

Yep look at pub toilets !!! No locks on the doors, no toilet paper, Graffiti on the walls (wanna B-Job phone xxxxxxxxxx ) ( the boss of this place is a xxxxxxxx ), beggars belief !!!

pierrot 14:
Rob, this has just got to be an English thing, I mean as in places in England where I/you/we , load.

Maybe, back in my haulage days I remember many places where you were treated as less of a person because you were a visiting driver, I did go to a few places where thry let me park on site, suggested places to eat locally and let me use toilets and showers if they had them.
However last year I went to a well known race team to load a car for an event, when I got there the car wasn’t ready, they were having a few issues so would be an all nighter, the bloke in charge told me to park up there for the night as they would load it when it was ready, they let me use the toilets and showers and have a free meal in the works canteen as it was their fault I couldn’t get loaded and on my way.

biggriffin:

Know what you’re saying mate, but how many proper normal bonafide truck drivers that you know, go into a bog and trash it.
You always get the d.head element small minority in everything, but it really ■■■■■■ me off when ‘‘they’’ just readily assume we are ALL like that.
The guy’s post about the XPO depot is a classic example, you should actually demand to use their bogs there after all else failed.
I would just pull out of there personally if refused, (toilet, not showers btw) and expect my boss to back me.
Problem is nobody has any fight left in them anymore and just put up with all that type of crap, which is why they do it.

cheekymonkey:

Well their sign carries no weight anymore. The law has changed and legally you must be permitted to use the facilities if needed.

robroy:

biggriffin:

Know what you’re saying mate, but how many proper normal bonafide truck drivers that you know, go into a bog and trash it.
You always get the d.head element small minority in everything, but it really ■■■■■■ me off when ‘‘they’’ just readily assume we are ALL like that.
The guy’s post about the XPO depot is a classic example, you should actually demand to use their bogs there after all else failed.
I would just pull out of there personally if refused, (toilet, not showers btw) and expect my boss to back me.
Problem is nobody has any fight left in them anymore and just put up with all that type of crap, which is why they do it.

Yep , sorry state of affairs ! Can any of you out there seeing it getting any better ? Doubt it.

pierrot 14:
Yep look at pub toilets !!! No locks on the doors, no toilet paper, Graffiti on the walls (wanna B-Job phone xxxxxxxxxx ) ( the boss of this place is a xxxxxxxx ), beggars belief !!!

I don’t like the sound of some of the pubs that you drink in… :open_mouth:

Olog Hai:

pierrot 14:

I don’t like the sound of some of the pubs that you drink in… :open_mouth:

Was thinking the same, :smiley: I try and avoid pubs where even the Salvation Army go in tooled up. :laughing: