Lorry Drivers Need More Education

lincolnshirereporter.co.uk/2018 … e-crashes/

They don’t mention how many immigrant factory workers crash on a daily basis, or the shocking state of the cart tracks they call roads.

I bet you’ve all seen those videos of trains in India, with hundreds possibly thousands of people riding on the top, literally layers of people.
They haven’t the capacity to provide transport for their massive population growth.

Its no different here in Blighty, think of the bloody A15 as a decades old Indian train, it too is struggling to cope with the still accelerating population growth.
It was a poxy road 40 years ago and little has changed, just it’s sinking under its burden.

Am I missing something? The headline is about evil naughty lorry drivers and most of the article is about how bad the road is.

Are the powers that be that dense or is it just something to fill the local chip wrapper and get the blue rinse brigade tutting?

BT.

The article does ask whether there might be any connection with the increased speed limit for HGV. Every couple of weeks there is a post on here regarding another lorry driver bullying someone who is keeping to the Scottish speed limit. Perhaps they have a point, the actions of a few are maybe proving that leaving the decision about the speed for an HGV on a particular stretch of road to the professional driver is not working.

That road should have been duelled years ago or at least widened especially for the amount of traffic that uses it.
I haven’t driven it for 12yrs and it was a nightmare back then for traffic, I can only imagine that it has got considerately busier since then.

cav551:
The article does ask whether there might be any connection with the increased speed limit for HGV. Every couple of weeks there is a post on here regarding another lorry driver bullying someone who is keeping to the Scottish speed limit. Perhaps they have a point, the actions of a few are maybe proving that leaving the decision about the speed for an HGV on a particular stretch of road to the professional driver is not working.

Think it highlights the problem very neatly.

If the number of crashes has gone up along with the speed limit, then there is a clear cut case for cameras, a reduced limit and heavy handed enforcement / better driver training, both initial and ongoing.

Delete as appropriate for whether you’re a reactionary hand wringer or a Driver.

BlackTachograph:
BT.

:laughing:

Dey sayn were fick?

The accident rate has very very little to do with the speed limit increase .
The accident rate was increasing before the limit was raised . National studies showed that the public were so poor at performing overtaking that if the need for overtaking was reduced it would lead to less accidents.
What they had failed to include was the vast increase in traffic volume over a couple of decades .
More vehicles naturally leads to more accidents .
All the new builds in the area are on the outskirts of towns , all the new industry is outside towns , all of this results in more traffic movements thus more accidents . During all this time the road systems have not been upgraded in fact most have degraded due to increased traffic and reduced maintenance.
I do wonder how you become a safety expert as 98% of them haven’t got a clue and approach things with prejudices as biases already in place .

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

This is really simple this…All drivers need to concentrate on driving, not playing with gadgets, reading notes, whatever it is that makes them take their eyes off the roads…All drivers.

I drive that road a lot in a lorry, it is no more dangerous than any other road, the only danger is the drivers.

As for Lincolnshire road safety people, they are beyond a joke, they really have no idea, I informed them that putting road signs at junctions, that were the height of a LGV drivers eye level was dangerous…Nothing has changed, the whole lot deserve each other really, not a brain cell to be found between them.

cav551:

Not sure if it was a deliberate passive comment or bad reporting (preferably the former) but it does only mention a coincidence with the rise in speed limits. No mention of correlation or causal effects so it is no more than a suggestive hint rather than a theory.

Can’t speak for that road, though I know it well enough; but back when we were limited to 40, and firms like ours had trackers and enforced them, I saw much more reckless overtaking by car drivers on the A40 between Carmarthen and Llandovery ( a road with similar hazards) than I do now.

It’s actually the first time since the limits were changed that I’ve noted anyone saying anything about it in print.

these sort of accidents/incidents happen all the time mainly due to human error, some initiated by lorry drivers and I would like to think more by car/van drivers of either ■■■, its the pictures of lorries and the damaged caused that makes the headlines, very few show the cause until months or years later, by then its all forgotten. no matter what the speed limit or how old the road is should be the cause, some ones actions was the cause.

Sidevalve:
Can’t speak for that road, though I know it well enough; but back when we were limited to 40, and firms like ours had trackers and enforced them, I saw much more reckless overtaking by car drivers on the A40 between Carmarthen and Llandovery ( a road with similar hazards) than I do now.

It’s actually the first time since the limits were changed that I’ve noted anyone saying anything about it in print.

I agree, i still see the clueless incapable of driving trying to overtake lorries in the most stupid places most stupidly, but not nearly as many as when 40 was the limit.
I can’t tell you how many car/van drivers are only alive due to the diligence of lorry drivers who have seen the inevitable starting to unfold and have taken action to protect the fools from their own folly.

Generally the increase to 50 has been a good thing.