PANORAMA tonight - 50,000 drivers short!

Did anyone else see that prat from the RHA stating a 50,000 shortage of LGV drivers :question:

If that were the case then newbies would be snapped up for full time well paid permanent jobs the minute they passed

How are they allowed to spout lies :question:

ROG:

Every sane person should immediately be thinking…if they can bare faced lie about this, is there truth in anything that comes from those sources.

I think the RHA person on facebook get ■■■■■■ off with me, when they post about a drivers shortage and I post a parliamentary report that says there are not only enough HGV licence holders to cover the shortfall, but enough DCPC holders.

Any supposed shortage is of the industries own making, but they expect the government and more importantly tax payers to solve their problems with state funded training schemes or bringing in foreign workers so they don’t have to address the problems of low pay, long hours and lack of facilities.

Who will drive the lorries?
That’s the question worrying Leigh Pomlett, president of the Freight Transport Association.

More than one in seven of the HGV drivers based in Britain - that’s 40,000 drivers - are EU nationals.

Speaking to me at his company CEVA’s Tamworth warehouse, he told me he is beginning to see people going back home, as the wages people can send back become worth less due to the fall in the pound, and because more jobs are now available in Europe.

“Polish people are wanted back in Poland more than ever. They’re also wanted in Germany, more than ever. So there is a global labour market which is more mobile than it ever was. Will they move? Yes they will.”

He says the industry could do with another 50,000 drivers, but he can’t see where they are going to come from. And what’s bad for his business could be bad for yours, as he warns that the days of free next-day delivery could come to an end.

Hey, here’s an idea Leigh. Get the wages up to what they would have been had they kept up with inflation over the last 15 years since you hit on the wheeze of flooding the market with minimum wage labour from post-Communist economies and maybe British people might want to do the job.

They are trying to flood us with cheap labour .that is what the shortages propaganda is .■■■■■■■■

FAKE NEWS it’s broadcast Propaganda from the Bugger Bugger Children media corp :smiley:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=153541

I think you need to merge the threads as they are opposing each other. Here the argument goes that EE depress wages in that thread the argument goes that its native born drivers fault of not asking/demanding a decent salary.

No sane EE will come and work to the UK for minimum wage on an arctic. The current rate for working on round-trips in Europe is 2k euros per month on average for EE. And that is a fact not the usual BS from users who think that someone works for 800 euros per month and thinks that it is mega money. The cost of living in most EE countries is close to that of the UK so again no sane person would work for 800 euros and neither would they work for minimum wage here in the UK if they would see that other companies pay considerably more. This is utter nonsense and should once and for all be stopped from spreading (living in delusion about something and blaming some third party is never good in the long-term).

Transport is a basic (in terms of skills) service and considering how technology has developed (google maps, sat nav, mobile phones) there are no signs that it will become any better either.

Riho:
Form an orderly queue....£8.50 per hour.! - THE UK PROFESSIONAL DRIVERS FORUM (INTERACTIVE) - Trucknet UK

I think you need to merge the threads as they are opposing each other. Here the argument goes that EE depress wages in that thread the argument goes that its native born drivers fault of not asking/demanding a decent salary.

No sane EE will come and work to the UK for minimum wage on an arctic. The current rate for working on round-trips in Europe is 2k euros per month on average for EE. And that is a fact not the usual BS from users who think that someone works for 800 euros per month and thinks that it is mega money. The cost of living in most EE countries is close to that of the UK so again no sane person would work for 800 euros and neither would they work for minimum wage here in the UK if they would see that other companies pay considerably more. This is utter nonsense and should once and for all be stopped from spreading (living in delusion about something and blaming some third party is never good in the long-term).

Transport is a basic (in terms of skills) service and considering how technology has developed (google maps, sat nav, mobile phones) there are no signs that it will become any better either.

Bollox ee folk flooding here in all types of work have ruined uk pay rates fact .

Riho:
The cost of living in most EE countries is close to that of the UK

rightmove.co.uk/overseas-pro … 35701.html

Riho:
Here the argument goes that EE depress wages in that thread the argument goes that its native born drivers fault of not asking/demanding a decent salary.

No sane EE will come and work to the UK for minimum wage on an arctic.

It’s not about EE drivers working for minimum wage, it’s about the haulage industry complaining that there won’t be enough HGV drivers left in the UK if the EE drivers don’t come here to work, when even a parliamentary report into the issue found there were enough HGV licence and DCPC holders to more than cover the requirements of the haulage industry, its just they don’t want to work under the present pay and conditions the industry offers as standard.

As for cost of living, my brief experience of being in Poland last year I would say that cost of many normal items were far cheaper than the UK, tried to spend my remaining Zolty’s stocking up my truck before going back in to Germany and still had loads left from £20 worth.

Riho:
The current rate for working on round-trips in Europe is 2k euros per month on average for EE.

€2000 per month isn’t really what I’d call a good wage, at todays exchange rate it works out at about £21360pa.

ROG:

Why not contact the BBC’s right to reply and put your point across, you may get your 10secs of fame on tv this weekend

ROG:
Did anyone else see that prat from the RHA stating a 50,000 shortage of LGV drivers :question:

If that were the case then newbies would be snapped up for full time well paid permanent jobs the minute they passed

I have my Cv in all job sites and updated regularly.Cv was created by professional Cv makers.I have 5 years experience,UK Adrian,no point.But in last couple years just one company call me and couple crap agency.If they need so much drivers that they must call and advertise everywhere.

Say these 50,000 drivers suddenly appeared what exactly would they be hauling because from what I can see all the shops are fully stocked and all supplies for industry is getting delivered…so what would these extra 50,000 trucks be delivering■■?

Riho:
Form an orderly queue....£8.50 per hour.! - THE UK PROFESSIONAL DRIVERS FORUM (INTERACTIVE) - Trucknet UK

suivo.com/wp-content/uploads … Europe.pdf

i have posted this before, IIRC Bulgarian drivers cost 8 euros an hour, Belgians cost 33 euros - that is all the costs, pay + social. UK isn’t in there since we didn’t adopt the euro, but it gives you the differences in operating costs between countries.

ROG:

I haven’t read the details. Is that 50,000 over a period of years or right now? Either way sounds like horse ■■■■. When I was 18 the Uk Merchant Navy were 500 officers a year short. Only 500. Yet that had pretty big ramifications. The wages were up and trainees had pick of which company they worked for. My mate got to choose between Shell, BP and Cunard. Now Uk officers have far less choice and wages are lower since many ship owners flagged their vessels elsewhere and resorted to foreign Officers.

If the UK were that chronically short of drivers wages wouldn’t be so near the national minimum wage and there’d be supply chain issues. Just a long run of pro remain sentiment from the media. I’ve just listened to a morning on BBC breakfast where every item managed to shoe horn feminism into it. I turned it off.

ROG:

He also said 1 in 8 of us drivers are from the EE.

I’ve posted these before, but I think they’re worth posting again.

https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm201617/cmselect/cmtrans/68/6805.htm
Figure 5 is particularly interesting when the industry says there aren’t enough qualified drivers available.

21.We also found evidence to suggest claims of a driver shortage were over-stated. A recent article suggested that as many as 80,000 drivers aged 25–44 had an LGV licence and DQC but did not work as drivers (possibly maintaining their entitlement to drive in case other career choices did not work out).48 Data from the DVLA show there are more than enough people either licensed or licensed and qualified to drive LGVs but for a number of reasons they choose not to work as drivers

http://www.aricia.ltd.uk/Temp/ThereIsNoShortage120116.pdf

I now disagree with some of my previous conclusions, including that driver numbers have become a national issue. In part, I fell into a trap of believing that what some parties in our industry were saying. I’m now back where I started, believing that our industry needs to stop moaning and put its money where its mouth is.

muckles:
I’ve posted these before, but I think they’re worth posting again.

http://www.aricia.ltd.uk/Temp/ThereIsNoShortage120116.pdf

I now disagree with some of my previous conclusions, including that driver numbers have become a national issue. In part, I fell into a trap of believing that what some parties in our industry were saying. I’m now back where I started, believing that our industry needs to stop moaning and put its money where its mouth is.

I actually think there is still a mistake / mis statement in that ARICIA report which makes the surplus of “possible drivers” even higher. Many of those " with HGV entirtlement but don’t have DQC" would be able to get a DQC without doing a weeks DCPC’s, just the initial “point to a ratchet strap” thingy.

The white bars at the top are the number of people (again, roughly as GB only
again and with the proviso described above) who do not describe themselves as
HGV drivers, who do have HGV entitlement, but don’t have a DQC – in other
words, people who could work as an HGV driver provided they did a week’s CPC
training and got their DQC sorted out

Freight Dog:
I’ve just listened to a morning on BBC breakfast where every item managed to shoe horn feminism into it. I turned it off.

A few weeks ago we got wall to wall coverage of 100 years of women getting the vote, which wasn’t actually true as only a few women, who were in societies elite, actually got the vote in 1918, and what an injustice it was that the nasty men hadn’t let them vote before that,
But almost nothing about the fact that many working class men got the vote for the first time in 1918 and what an injustice that was, especially as many of the men sent to fight WW1 hadn’t been eligible to vote for the government that had sent them.