Should I bill them?

So - yesterday I was working for a new client to me.

I got there and was paired up with their new driver. He was a lot older than me and had started the day before. He wanted me to show him how the auto box worked etc as he hadn’t driven for a while and only had driven manuals. No problem. We did the first job and he’d decided the job wasn’t for him. So we went back and he went home. Thing is this should really be a double manned job. You have to move overloaded cages into care home, pubs etc… And one person can’t physically move them sometimes*. I ended up having to break the cages down etc.

*This isn’t me being idle. We are not talking about moving a cage into aldi. It’s more like trying to pull one over kerbs or up gravel. It’s impossible.

I also ended up hurtning myself. Got to one drop and only place to park was on an incline. Took load securing bar off and one of the cages tried to escape. I grabbed it but it pulled my wrist. Not a big deal - but it was a reality check that it could be dangerous lone working with no back up.

Got back last night - and said that I wouldn’t drive tomorrow without a drivers mate. Explained why. The supervisor spoke to a manager and categorically promised me one. Got there this morning - no drivers mate. So I pointed out the promises and then told them I was going home. They were not impressed.

So given that I couldn’t work - because they failed in their duty of care, do the more experienced drivers think I should bill the company for 8 hours? They are telling agency I walked off - but I’ve explained this all to the agency who have taken my side (at least to me, maybe to client they are calling me all sorts).

Here we go again !! Who wants to be first ? :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :wink:
Regards. John.

Great story I nearly believed it

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Fantasy Island…you sound alot like someone else…

You’re lucky…way back,when I was VERY inexperienced,I parked on slope,removed retaining bar,and had a dozen or so cages of milk rolling my way :blush: :unamused: :open_mouth:
I didn’t claim,however,just put it down to my own stupidity :laughing: :laughing:

sammym:
because they failed in their duty of care

That old chestnut.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

sammym:
So given that I couldn’t work - because they failed in their duty of care, do the more experienced drivers think I should bill the company for 8 hours? They are telling agency I walked off - but I’ve explained this all to the agency who have taken my side (at least to me, maybe to client they are calling me all sorts).

You did walk off. No reason why they should pay you.

Next question?

:grimacing: :grimacing:

sammym:
You have to move overloaded cages into care home, pubs etc… And one person can’t physically move them sometimes*. I ended up having to break the cages down etc.

*This isn’t me being idle. We are not talking about moving a cage into aldi. It’s more like trying to pull one over kerbs or up gravel. It’s impossible.

That is what the sack truck is for.

sammym:
I also ended up hurtning myself. Got to one drop and only place to park was on an incline. Took load securing bar off and one of the cages tried to escape. I grabbed it but it pulled my wrist. Not a big deal - but it was a reality check that it could be dangerous lone working with no back up.

The reality check is not parking with the back door’s facing down a hill, if you have to at least use the air suspension to compensate.

Win-Stone:

sammym:

Next question?

No other questions. I wanted opinions from people who’d done this longer.

I refused to drive/walked off as it wasn’t safe to work. The reality is that other drivers were willing to do it - so I probably don’t deserve paying. But frankly couldn’t care less. The weather is nice and I’ll go for a walk and chill. No way am I risking hurting myself for the sake £100-150. The lost deliveries today will cost them a ■■■■ site more than the £100 it would have cost if they’d provided the driver’s mate, they needed me today more than I needed the work.

yes, they didn’t provide you with tools for the job. Its that same as if they didn’t provide you with a lorry but still expected you to do the deliveries. Of course you could have arranged for a drivers mate (or a lorry) and billed them but they didn’t ask. What does the contact say?

mrginge:

sammym:
You have to move overloaded cages into care home, pubs etc… And one person can’t physically move them sometimes*. I ended up having to break the cages down etc.

That is what the sack truck is for.

sammym:

The reality check is not parking with the back door’s facing down a hill, if you have to at least use the air suspension to compensate.

No sack truck provided. Just cages. Plus I’m not really sure I’d be up for all that lugging around even if there was one. I signed up to be a driver - not a gofer.

And I don’t know how to use air suspension like that. And I’m not sure if the truck even has it. I know I can raise the truck up and down, and always put it down as it seems safer. But I’m not sure you can adjust individual axles.

Can you explain to me how to use the air suspension like this - as it would be useful to know going forward? Also, do all trucks have this?

zaax:
yes, they didn’t provide you with tools for the job. Its that same as if they didn’t provide you with a lorry but still expected you to do the deliveries. Of course you could have arranged for a drivers mate (or a lorry) and billed them but they didn’t ask. What does the contact say?

I don’t have a contract. I’m an agency driver. I might have signed something when I joined the agency - but don’t have a contract and don’t remember.

But this agency have always been very good with me. Rather than kicking off that I’d left the client they said they’d try and get me another shift. And she even said on the phone that I was a driver and not a laborer so I shouldn’t be expected to do that. So I don’t want to rock the boat and start demanding written terms and conditions. I’ve never had a shift canceled with them - and when I was sent to a dodgy company the agency apologized and told me when I got back to refuse to do any more deliveries or driving that day. They look after their drivers.

However - I now accept I can’t bill for today. And that’s okay. Rather than me saying I’m not driving until I have the drivers mate as promised and then sending me home (which I would bill for), I said if there is no drivers mate I’m going home and handed over the keys. So I made the choice to do no work. Which I’m happy about.

sammym:
And I don’t know how to use air suspension like that. And I’m not sure if the truck even has it. I know I can raise the truck up and down, and always put it down as it seems safer. But I’m not sure you can adjust individual axles.

Can you explain to me how to use the air suspension like this - as it would be useful to know going forward? Also, do all trucks have this?

You seem to be describing a food service kind of job where the manual labour is generally why you get higher wages on class 2.

As for the suspension it vary’s on rigid’s but generally 15T and bigger lorries have a controller by the drivers seat to lift/lower and put into ‘drive mode’ the rear suspension. So when you are on a hill depending which way you are facing you can try and level the bed so you are not either getting run over by the cages or putting your back out pulling them up a slope onto the tail lift.

mrginge:

sammym:

You seem to be describing a food service kind of job where the manual labour is generally why you get higher wages on class 2.

As for the suspension it vary’s on rigid’s but generally 15T and bigger lorries have a controller by the drivers seat to lift/lower and put into ‘drive mode’ the rear suspension. So when you are on a hill depending which way you are facing you can try and level the bed so you are not either getting run over by the cages or putting your back out pulling them up a slope onto the tail lift.

It was for a wholesaler. And delivering directly to their customers. I got paid the same rate as any other job I do. Which is a joke given usually the hardest thing I have to do is open curtains and take straps off.

I didn’t know that about the suspension. But it’s good to learn something. I’m not convinced it has this (was a 15 plate 18t Renault fridge) - as no one said anything when I complained.

Out of interest, what is the point of the button on the dash which raises and lowers the suspension height overall? Is it just to adjust the height for different bays? And am I right to always drive with it in the lowest position? Sorry for 21 questions - but I have wondered this for a while.

If they normally supply a second man…and this job warrants one, then if there wasnt one then i would do what you did…walk…but i would have had a word to see if one was forthcoming…if the answer was NO…then see ya later…but it doesnt warrant a charge…so you have to swallow that.

Mark500:
Fantasy Island…you sound alot like someone else…

Win-Stone:

Next question?

Jeez don’t encourage !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sammym:
I don’t have a contract. I’m an agency driver. I might have signed something when I joined the agency - but don’t have a contract and don’t remember.

Even as agency you have a contract with T&C.

Besides your Ltd now so why do agency terms when you should have your own?

sammym:
However - I now accept I can’t bill for today

Which is it ? Agency terms or your Ltd Co terms ? You can’t bill anyone if accepted under their terms

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This fella hasn’t managed to work out how to move trays of chicken with a sack barrow, impossible apparently.