Regular/annual inspections - EE plated units

While trundling around the Benelux the past few weeks, I’ve noticed quite a few Dutch and Belgian companies have EE registered units in their livery.

I was just curious, do these units have to return to their country of registration for their regular or annual inspections, or can it be done at any garage in the EU? Just one of those questions that come to you while out and about.

As I understand it,the vehicle should undergo its annual inspection in its home country.The relevant ‘O’ licence should also originate from the same country.

Gidders:
As I understand it,the vehicle should undergo its annual inspection in its home country.The relevant ‘O’ licence should also originate from the same country.

^^^^
This
Most, if not all those EE reg’s will have EE drivers anyway. Cheaper labour and taxation…

This issue could sort out all the cabotage problems , if the EU forced operators to return vehicle to registered country for an official 6-8 week inspection then there would be no need for pathetic control of weekend in hotel ! The eu invited this system and was happy to see men stuck in cab like prisoners for months on end , now they face anger from small transporters and react against driver not logistics operated or manufacturer getting his goods moved too cheap on the back off Slave labour , drivers comment on EE lads as fipflops and other childish names ,but they should have a week in there shoes !!

This issue could sort out all the cabotage problems , if the EU forced operators to return vehicle to registered country for an official 6-8 week inspection then there would be no need for pathetic control of weekend in hotel ! The eu invited this system and was happy to see men stuck in cab like prisoners for months on end , now they face anger from small transporters and react against driver not logistics operated or manufacturer getting his goods moved too cheap on the back off Slave labour , drivers comment on EE lads as fipflops and other childish names ,but they should have a week in there shoes !!

fgm:

This will not happen…i work for a French haulier and i can tell you it will only go for service/inspection every 6 months, i think the UK is the only country that insists on 6/8 week inspections.

I have also worked for Dutch and Belgian hauliers and they have the same intervals as France.

Just another way for the powers that be and the UK truck service workshops screw the UK hauliers out of more money :imp:

fgm:

This issue could sort out all the cabotage problems

The OP was about truck/trailer maintenance, WTF has that got to do with cabotage??

if the EU forced operators to return vehicle to registered country for an official 6-8 week inspection then there would be no need for pathetic control of weekend in hotel !

So the truck/trailer returns to country of origin for it’s “6 week inspection” what has that to do with weekend breaks■■? It will still be on the road for …6 weeks!! :unamused: Which will be 5 weekends!!

The eu invited this system and was happy to see men stuck in cab like prisoners for months on end , now they face anger from small transporters and react against driver not logistics operated or manufacturer getting his goods moved too cheap on the back off Slave labour

The EU didn’t ask for

men stuck in cab like prisoners for months on end

that was the bosses of the transport companies exploiting them, on cheap wages!

:unamused: :unamused: :unamused: I dspair

Edited just to add as I missed it

drivers comment on EE lads as fipflops and other childish names ,but they should have a week in there shoes !![

Most of the EE drivers that I have seen parked up seem to be happy, they cook their meals, drink a few beers, if there are a few of them they all intermingle, share the coffee and invite others to join in, if there are a lot of them, then that’s when it can get noisy. My point is ,
they don’t have to do the job!!!

pierrot 14:
Most of the EE drivers that I have seen parked up seem to be happy, they cook their meals, drink a few beers, if there are a few of them they all intermingle, share the coffee and invite others to join in, if there are a lot of them, then that’s when it can get noisy. My point is ,
they don’t have to do the job!!!

^^^^^^
Thats the nice thing about a lot of EE’s, friendliness and cameraderie. What little they have theyre always willing to share. Stewed up veg/cabbage soup is an aquired taste though… :grimacing:

citycat:
While trundling around the Benelux the past few weeks, I’ve noticed quite a few Dutch and Belgian companies have EE registered units in their livery.

I was just curious, do these units have to return to their country of registration for their regular or annual inspections, or can it be done at any garage in the EU? Just one of those questions that come to you while out and about.

I not sure about all country but most EE truck in good condition .Most ruck do job in Benelux and time from time take load to origional country .Most country don t have service week for truck or trailer .In Uk service week as well another extra rulles for nothing.Some companies just change sticket.Plus if EE truck new that first 3 years they do all required job at local dealers.

Plus all EE truck much better that Belgium or France.

fgm:

If you want same competition that EU first must make same diesel price for truck.But now Austria,Italy ,Belgium not happy about cheap price.But exactly Austria,Lux,Belgium sale cheap diesel .And this give not same competition.If truck fill up diesel in France at As 24 that price about 92 pence.In Lux,Spain 70 pence ,Belgium some 80p.If British ,France truck fill up diesel in this country that he can save about 600 Quid per month.So any international truck can do local job cheap because he use much cheapest diesel.

Ref the foreign servicing/inspections and I may be wrong here, when the truck makers says the engine can do 100k between oil changes thats how often a lot of foreign motors see the garage, pretty much the same as most peoples cars.

I also think thats why the foreign drivers are held in higher regard than their UK counterparts as they are meant to look after their wagon between oil changes.
But I see several EE agency drivers per week and its obvious even to me they clearly dont know one end of a truck from another!

Trickydick:
Ref the foreign servicing/inspections and I may be wrong here, when the truck makers says the engine can do 100k between oil changes thats how often a lot of foreign motors see the garage, pretty much the same as most peoples cars.

I also think thats why the foreign drivers are held in higher regard than their UK counterparts as they are meant to look after their wagon between oil changes.
But I see several EE agency drivers per week and its obvious even to me they clearly dont know one end of a truck from another!

I know situation when EE truck go to tacho inspection in Belgium.Sometime same price from dealers if they repair in Poland or Belgium or somewhere else.

Andrejs:
Plus all EE truck much better that Belgium or France.

Bit of a sweeping statement mate!
I`ve seen good and bad with all nationalities of trucks.

Well an annual inspection is just that - annual.

Luckily most of Europe has done away with using Seddon Atkinsons in their fleet, so a six week inspection would be pointless.

The annual inspection can only be done in the home country, tacho calibration anywhere. Regular maintenance is surprisingly cheaper in the west sometimes, I mainly used Scania Bremen every two months for scheduled maintenance.

And speaking of slaves in trucks - I was happy enough to do cabotage eight weeks at a time in western Europe for almost four years with my very own Scania, so what does that make me and other owner-drivers on the same job?

Trickydick:

This. The six weekly inspections are a British thing. In my time working for the Dutch my truck would get a big service every 100,000km or so and between times it was up to driver to keep an eye on it

I think 6 weeks is a bit of overkill, depending on vehicle age, mileage, use etc. But once a year is not enough. As drivers we sometimes make unconscious adjustments for a gradually deteriorating vehicle. Maybe 12 weeks would be enough on modern vehicles?
Although, I dont know the truth of it Ive heard (UK) drivers of EE reg vehicles say they`ve NEVER been to the country of registration. It could be a bit of bravado, or genuine, I dunno?

Compared to accidents happening due to inebriated drivers from the east, how many accidents happen due to failing mechanicals on an ee lorry?

The biggest eastern fleets replace four or five lorries with brand new ones each and every day, as in the long run it is not economical to run an older lorry with questionable longevity and higher road taxes.

As opposed to the UK with six-weekly inspections and tippers running over children out for a walk with their parents

As the driver of an EE registerd vehicle ( BG ) i can only say what my company does. We do go once a year for an annual MOT, usually loading china clay and tip it in Bg close to Sofia, then i go for an annual inspection ( stop laughing at the back )…i cant stop now, just a look at my vehicle, 3 lights not working on trailer, 1 headlight out on the unit…no brake checks or vehicle inspection from underneath, nor a shake of the steering, even though i was over a pit…no rolling roads either or weights in the back of the trailer…like they do in the uk…get a nod from the inspector ( ha ha , another joke )…the pay 26 euros, which includes a years road tax, and the mot cert…nice and cheap…and forget about weekly inspections, when they breakdown, call the boss…if stopped by vosa…call the boss…same for tyres, punctures, or even when the wheel falls off ( one of mine did.lol ) the best bit was the easy work…and the fact i can knock MSA s for parking..and have a lot of fun with that..especially when they say..gonna take your number..ha ha ..just because i am a RHD, and can blind them with my bulgarian language..ha ha ..or sometimes Me no speak engrish `

truckyboy:
just a look at my vehicle, 3 lights not working on trailer, 1 headlight out on the unit

Surely something to be proud of.