Knob in a car

Just thought I’d share this.
A39 around Bude area heading for Barnstaple, saw a ‘Road closed ahead’ sign, there was oodles of traffic coming towards me so I thought it must have been left up from a night closure…it wasn’t. :unamused:

Must have travelled 10 or more miles to ‘Road closed’ …with no diversion signs anywhere.
Looked on map and this lad in a Volvo pulling a tipper pulled in behind me, and said ‘‘Just follow me mate, but it’s a bit tight, otherwise you will have to back track bloody miles’’
He turned right down this side road, first sign I saw was ‘Unsuitable for HGVs’ I thought, …Here we go. :smiley:

His trailer was shorter so I was a bit slower than him on the narrow bends, but he hung back for me to be fair.
Kept meeting many cars on the single track bits, but they all moved over, then we came to a village with a tight arsed left turn…at the local school get out time, with loads of cars and 3 school buses :smiling_imp:
We totally gridlocked the village, :blush: but we all arsed about for 15 or so minutes, said a few thank yous and sorrys and set off again.
The lad says ‘‘If we get seperated just keep going straight, and you come back to A39 again on a T junction’’

We met many more cars and suddenlly the lad in the Volvo braked up hard, stopped, and I saw he was getting grief off this bloke in a car.
He just got around him and no more, and off he went, but I had no chance with my longer trailer. :unamused:
This knob head jumps out of his car, storms over to me, opens my door, and says ‘‘You should not be down here with a truck’’
to which I says
‘‘Do yourself a favour mate, get your hand off my door, ■■■■ off back to your car, move it, and mind your own ■■■■ business’’
Things got really heated at this point, but he saw sense and got back in his car…but flatly refused to move. :open_mouth:
Traffic was building up behind both him and me, I got my newspaper out just to make a point, as I could not go anywhere at all for him.

By this time he had a crowd of blokes around his car who had guessed the situation, telling him to get the ■■■■ out of the way as they all wanted to go home, and that he had more than enough room to let me pass.
Christ did he get a lot of grief, one bloke was going to pull him out of his car and move it himself. :laughing:

He eventually gave in under presssure, I just sat there with my paper which really ■■■■■■ him off, and he shouted ‘‘Mark my car and I will sue you’’ :laughing:
What a knob.

I stopped at the t junction and asked the two lads who had got in the altercation with him for their phone no as witnesses, in case he rang my firm and lied that I had scraped his car or something,… so I’m really hoping he does. :smiley:

But why be a complete arse eh, just for the sake of it, he could have just moved a few inches from the start like everybody else. :unamused:
Ok maybe on reflection I should not have took that route, but if someone assures you can get through…and tbf we did :smiley: , what would you do in that situation.

exactly what you did…though on reflection i might have put on a ronnie pickering mask first… :wink:

I can’t see how you could’ve done that any differently. Impossible when someone’s acting like that. Suppose as you did, try best to be calm, protecting yourself from implication, closing the door and doing what’s reasonable to get out of the situation (impossible in your case as he was blocking you).

I’ve got front and rear dashcams in my personal car. They run even when parked. They’re fit and forget, the footage saves on a loop internally. Occasionally I’ve had something happen. Had a woman behind got all aggy because I didn’t run the red light in front of us. She then did a mental overtake and nearly took out another car. Downloaded footage onto my phone via the camera WiFi just in case and kept it for a while on that one then deleted it. Just handy for any “he said, she saids”. They capture audio for a surprising distance too, including any nutters trying to open your door.

We have a spate of vehicle hijacks in Belfast where people were pulled out of the car at lights with a weapon pointed at them. My doors lock automatically once the car moves, maybe worth keeping your lorry door locked?

Freight Dog:
I can’t see how you could’ve done that any differently. Impossible when someone’s acting like that. Suppose as you did, try best to be calm, protecting yourself from implication, closing the door and doing what’s reasonable to get out of the situation (impossible in your case as he was blocking you).

I was tempted to do what I once saw Jack Regan do on ‘The Sweeney’…kick the door and bang it on his head, but I thought better of it. :laughing:
I did have my steel toe boot on stand by, in case he tried to pull me out of the cab, but he saw I was deadly serious when I told him to get the ■■■■ off my door, and the situation then died down.
I must be mellowing as I’ve got a bit older. :laughing:

To be known now in future confrontations as::

" Doing a Reagan " :laughing: :laughing:

"Get outa my face or I’ll do a Reagan on ya !! :laughing: :laughing:

Rob, seriously though you were better off being mellow and putting your feet up, if the numpty had called the police because you didn’t move, I think that he would have ended up with egg on his face after they had told him to move and then do him for wasting police time.

robroy:

Freight Dog:

I was tempted to do what I once saw Jack Regan do on ‘The Sweeney’…kick the door and bang it on his head, but I thought better of it. :laughing:
I did have my steel toe boot on stand by, in case he tried to pull me out of the cab, but he saw I was deadly serious when I told him to get the [zb] off my door, and the situation then died down.
I must be mellowing as I’ve got a bit older. :laughing:

:laughing: . There’s some right screw looses out there. Remember that video of the tipper driver pulling that blokes wiper blades off? ■■■■■■.

I had a bloke try and pull me out a lorry once after he clipped his mirror off on my trailer. We were waiting on a round about in traffic, on the outskirts of London in boiling heat during rush hour. He came bounding out of his van, ran up the side screaming and yanking on the door, climbing up the steps banging the window like a Silver back. I though “not on your nelly! :laughing: “. Lucky I’d seen him coming and locked the door.

I rang the boss and asked what to do. He said “wait until he calms down, go out with the disposable camera (we carried disposable film cameras then) take a few pics and just say it was your fault and we”ll pay, even though it wasn’t your fault”. “Bloody Great” I thought. “Why me” ha.

Gave it a few mins then did the edgy walk towards his van holding this poxy blinking camera :laughing: . He calmed right down and was all sorry. Lucky really as he was bigger than me :laughing: .Took a few pics, gave the details and on the way lol.

Nowt you can do in that situation except sit back and pour your brew. Getting out the lorry will only make things worse.

As you did just sit back, only i dont read newspapers so i’d just casually start peeling the spuds…

You should have also pointed out to him that those unsuitable for hgv signs are advisory only, unless it’s a circle with a red border then actually you can be down there in your truck. What a first class Bell end.

Rowley010:
You should have also pointed out to him that those unsuitable for hgv signs are advisory only, unless it’s a circle with a red border then actually you can be down there in your truck. What a first class Bell end.

Yeh I knew that, but it had ■■■■ all to do with him, so I did not grant him the dignity of an explanation.

robroy:

Rowley010:

Yeh I knew that, but it had [zb] all to do with him, so I did not grant him the dignity of an explanation.

Ha yeah. What a knob

robroy:
‘‘Do yourself a favour mate, get your hand off my door, [zb] off back to your car, move it, and mind your own [zb] business’’

Tried the diplomatic approach first then? :laughing: :laughing:

robroy:
Traffic was building up behind both him and me, I got my newspaper out just to make a point, as I could not go anywhere at all for him.

Perfect way to make the point. Paper out, feet up, “I’m paid by the hour, I can sit here all day mate” as a response.

Better still, casually put the kettle on the dash so he can see it, then draw the curtains lol :smiley:

There’s really some angry ■■■■■■■■ out there who are basically fed up with life itself.

What were you thinking Robroy, big yellow sign reading A39 ROAD AHEAD CLOSED AT BUCKS CROSS i appreciate you might know
exactly where Bucks X is but…as for oncoming cars well there are numerous villages either side of that road that know
there way around the lanes.
So which village did you frighten with your huge truck Bradworthy or Woolsery perhaps and the Volvo you followed Nigel Hayes
by any chance haha.
Thing is Rob if you had been a good boy and followed the diversion signs you would have come by me and about 4 lengths of
yer truck past is a pullin an you could walked back for a cuppa.
Oh and feel free to annoy the knobs down this way anytime you like.
Cheers Norman.

Dog tired:
What were you thinking Robroy, big yellow sign reading A39 ROAD AHEAD CLOSED AT BUCKS CROSS i appreciate you might know
exactly where Bucks X is but…as for oncoming cars well there are numerous villages either side of that road that know
there way around the lanes.
So which village did you frighten with your huge truck Bradworthy or Woolsery perhaps and the Volvo you followed Nigel Hayes
by any chance haha.
Thing is Rob if you had been a good boy and followed the diversion signs you would have come by me and about 4 lengths of
yer truck past is a pullin an you could walked back for a cuppa.
Oh and feel free to annoy the knobs down this way anytime you like.
Cheers Norman.

I know mate, I know :smiley: …what was I thinking.
I was concentrating on trying to get to Barnstaple last drop before 5, I’ve obviously missed the big sign you mention, I did see others but the volume of traffic coming towards me made me think the sign had been just left up from maybe a night closure and was not valid…yeh I know. :blush: :unamused:

The turn off to right was the last right before the actual closure, can’t remember village name, but you came into it and made a tight left hand turn at bottom.

I would not have attempted that route myself, but maybe turned all the way back down, if the Volvo driver had not assured me it was passable, and tbf to the lad… it was, albeit tight.
The Volvo was white pulling like a muckshift trailer, did not notice the name on door.
Maybe next time for the cuppa eh? Cheers. :smiley: