15 minute checks

Hi folks I’m just wondering how long should my pre shift checks take? I’ve been told they should be at least 15 minutes? But I’m running out of things to check after 8 minutes? Will vosa fine me if I take less than 15?

Vosa likes at least 10 the average is 15…but put the tacho on other work whilst you warm the cab, and take as long as it takes…but make sure you check everything…lights, tyres, etc etc, vosa will thank you for doing them. :smiley:

If you can do your checks in 8 mins, great, maybe you could clean the lights windows and mirrors and run a duster over the dash in the remaining time.

I’ve always struggled to prepare my vehicle properly, yes including make the windows and mirrors suitable for driving in half an hour let alone 15 mins, nine times out of ten i’ve got to wash the thing or fit bulbs etc which the previous user couldn’t be arsed to bother about.

Our fleet is…

Really up together, the oldest is a 15 plate most are 67s.

I take 10 minutes of kicking tyres looking for damage and checking it over but rarely move until 15ish minutes of other work is showing.

It’s handy when there’s a coffee machine and a smoking shelter right where we park the units. :wink:

No, it doesn’t take 15 minutes but that’s what everybody wants these days so that’s what I give them. No skin off my nose.

Same truck all the time, and Im the only driver. Normally same trailer all week. Every-time I go for a coffee, tip or load, I walk around the vehicle and use my eyeballs. Sometimes on m-way runs Ill put my hand on the hubs to check they`re all the same temp. So, most mornings ten minutes is more than enough. Always put it on duty for ten of course to show checks done.

Different unit & trailer everyday - takes me 20/25 mins - wipe down everything I’m likely to touch with a wipe, clean mirrors, set up sat nav + dash cam, walk around checks & clean all exterior lights.

I never liked the bloke personally, but I had a LOT of respect for his morale standards & his professionalism. He was/is probably one of the best TM’s out there today, certainlt the best one I’ve ever met . . . & I’ve met a few.

One of his favourite tricks was/is to draw an X with his finger across the dirt on all of the lenses & reflectors, then go & stand at the gate with the smokers.

New drivers used to actually attempt to leave through the gate without wiping the dirt off of the trucks lenses & reflectors !

Stupid drivers used to try it twice, but no one knows of any driver who tried it 3X.

If you don’t understand why they say it takes at least 15mins to do it, then please stop taking your huge truck out onto the roads that my missus & our grandchildren might be sharing.

Seeing as it’s my lorry and no one eles drives it I check it at night as it’s too late to start doing repairs in a morning ,I only show 5 mins max on the card in a morning while I check nothing has changed over night .

The length of time my checks take varies and is directly linked to whether its raining or not…

Daily checks can’t have a defined time. As stated everybody has to do different stuff before setting off in the morning. I am the only driver on my truck and never use different trailers, in fact, I never even drop my trailer so my checks can’t take as long as the distribution driver that uses a different unit and has to pick a different trailer up every day. As dan says, those of us that use the same vehicles everyday tend to do vehicle checks all day every time they get out to go and tip etc. I’m always sub consciously scanning the tyres for damage as I walk along the vehicle or when tipping.

3 minutes in the morning, mostly making sure nothings been nicked.

A.

5 minutes checks, other 10 mins making and drinking my coffee before setting off.
Just do that mate and still book your 15…simple.
I can feel those guys now, who walk around with their hi viz and hard hat on for 14 mins 59secs with their clipboards and pens :laughing: rushing to their keyboard to criticise me for that. :smiley:

Our trucks run 24 hours (practically) so I always have a word with the other driver, see if there’s anything I should be aware of. After that it’s tyres, bulbs windscreen washers and make sure nothings falling off.

At the end of the day, I’m a lorry driver not a mechanic.

Firm I work for say 15 mins so that’s what they get, I am quite particular about my “Visual” checks and have a set routine, of course it still doesn’t take 15 mins (this is for the unit btw each trailer gets a ~ 5 min walk around before during and after I’ve hitched up to one) part of the initial 15 mins is also taken up by filling out the defect book and my own diary and the compulsory (to me) wiping the steering wheel and stalks and buttons with wet wipes.

Adonis.:
3 minutes in the morning, mostly making sure nothings been nicked.

A.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
thats about it plus another min for a pee.

Pokerblade:
Hi folks I’m just wondering how long should my pre shift checks take? I’ve been told they should be at least 15 minutes? But I’m running out of things to check after 8 minutes? Will vosa fine me if I take less than 15?

Lol

tango boy:
Lol

Must admit I had to hold myself back from saying something :laughing: ,… but the fun police have told us we aint allowed to ridicule the ridiculous anymore on here. :cry: :bulb:

robroy:

tango boy:
Lol

Must admit I had to hold myself back from saying something :laughing: ,… but the fun police have told us we aint allowed to ridicule the ridiculous anymore on here. :cry: :bulb:

Personally see it as actually living in fear of dvsa/vosa and letting these ‘authorities’ rule lives. Concerns over p.o.a and using break while being tipped with the assumption dvsa are watching just around the corner are another two great examples.
Re checks,i only check the trailer but always have a good look at the tyres for bulges/splits ect (inner walls inc) as well as pulling it forward half a turn of the wheels to double check the tyres under load.
Edit- OP-no ridiculing involved here, as long as youve checked everything over and sure in your mind everything is how it should be the ‘15 minute check’ is neither here nor there…