What would you improve with modern lorries?

A thread about a lorry rear ending a van got me thinking. It’s got to be said, compared to 15 years ago, European lorries are pretty impressive. I’m sure Scania, Volvo and the big lads have avenues where they pick up on customer feedback. Most likely that’s the customer who buys their products which isn’t necessarily the user!

Any aspects manufacturers consistently get wrong or overlook? Or anything in trucks that you find just doesn’t work doing the job day to day? Daresay auto boxes will be the big headline acts! Anything else though?

When I drove, I always found the only suspension controls down by the seat really friggin annoying - it took ages for them to put another set on the dashboard.

Freight, it doesn’t matter what you do to improve a wagon, really. New tech, new gismos, all singing all dancing mod-con gadgets, There’s still the human element behind the wheel that is driving the truck. In my opinion, less is best ! There is too much going on inside the cab nowadays. Too much to look at, too many regs and rules, too much to worry about,to much to divert your concentration away from the actual ART of driving!!!

I have never understood, as trucks used for distance are normally single driver why the passenger seat isn’t removed, the bunk placed in it place dash board to rear wall and the remaining space used for a table cupboards and fridge etc like the USA trucks you give so much more living room while remaining inside the Euro length limits, the bunk could split so still giving access to the passenger door

pierrot 14:
Freight, it doesn’t matter what you do to improve a wagon, really. New tech, new gismos, all singing all dancing mod-con gadgets, There’s still the human element behind the wheel that is driving the truck. In my opinion, less is best ! There is too much going on inside the cab nowadays. Too much to look at, too many regs and rules, too much to worry about,to much to divert your concentration away from the actual ART of driving!!!

I had a big chat about this with a car dealership bloke the other day when picking up some bits I snagged off on an Irish goat track :laughing: . I totally agree. Too many lights and screens on modern vehicles. Trucks seem less guilty than cars. My car is basic spec for its model. Just the way I like it. Engine, wheel, gear stick. Only luxuries are cruise control, auto wipers and dimming mirrors but they don’t really distract you.

I remember Scania got a basic one wrong for years and years. The seat! Perhaps they’ve sorted it. Perhaps not?

Freight Dog:

pierrot 14:

I had a big chat about this with a car dealership bloke the other day when picking up some bits I snagged off on an Irish goat track :laughing: . I totally agree. Too many lights and screens on modern vehicles. Trucks seem less guilty than cars. My car is basic spec for its model. Just the way I like it. Engine, wheel, gear stick. Only luxuries are cruise control, auto wipers and dimming mirrors but they don’t really distract you.

I remember Scania got a basic one wrong for years and years. The seat! Perhaps they’ve sorted it. Perhaps not?

MMM yes the Scania back-breaker, never got on with their trucks just for that reason

As an ex tramper I would improve “facilities” , basic things like toilet and shower , you would only need another 3 foot of cab length to vastly improve our wellbeing. As said by others the passenger seat is nearly always surplus to requirements to , so that space could be more kitchen orientated as well. The job was bad enough 10 yrs ago but we are now lepers in most places, not wanted with nowhere to stop , yet customer still need the stuff we move.

Rikki-UK:
I have never understood, as trucks used for distance are normally single driver why the passenger seat isn’t removed, the bunk placed in it place dash board to rear wall and the remaining space used for a table cupboards and fridge etc like the USA trucks you give so much more living room while remaining inside the Euro length limits, the bunk could split so still giving access to the passenger door

We had an IVECO where the passenger seat folded into the bunk. Can’t remember exactly how, but I’m sure it actually became part of the bunk. Was awful though because you couldn’t get the seat forward enough for the passenger to look out of the side window.

The Ivecos were the office pack version I believe,we still have some but I think they’ve reverted back to putting a passenger seat in the new ones again now.

With blondie being five feet nothing she has to have the seat pretty far forward and set lowish so i’d vote for adjustable pedals…

Something simple to start, position the air and electrical lines the same way on all lorries and trailers so they don’t get all tangled up.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Rikki-UK:

Renault did that with one of the Premium models didnt they? I remember seeing a French lad who I was parked up with once didnt have a passengers seat and an extra wide bunk in its place.

Rikki-UK:

That’s a nifty idea, I’d not thought of that way before

3 wheeler:
As an ex tramper I would improve “facilities” , basic things like toilet and shower , you would only need another 3 foot of cab length to vastly improve our wellbeing. As said by others the passenger seat is nearly always surplus to requirements to , so that space could be more kitchen orientated as well. The job was bad enough 10 yrs ago but we are now lepers in most places, not wanted with nowhere to stop , yet customer still need the stuff we move.

Absolutely not! A toilet in the truck is a nice idea in theory but imagine having to get into a 2/3 year old truck that’s been through more drivers than diesel and imagine how it would look. So for that reason I’m out. Proper kitchen packs would be a great idea though

newmercman:
Something simple to start, position the air and electrical lines the same way on all lorries and trailers so they don’t get all tangled up.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

+1…

I’d like electric mirror arms. Passenger side at least. Useful for ferries where you’re parked really closely together, and manoeuvring close to trees etc.
AEBS that doesn’t shy up at bridges and street furniture too.
I think Luke has seen a real problem with having toilets etc in a small bedroom. Id go further and say I’m against a fitted kitchen too. Frued bacon smells nice in the morning, but old fat splashed bedroom curtains? No thank you.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

Use technology to make phones unusable while vehicle is moving and lets save a million near misses and a few lifes one day it might be you

switchlogic:

3 wheeler:

Absolutely not! A toilet in the truck is a nice idea in theory but imagine having to get into a 2/3 year old truck that’s been through more drivers than diesel and imagine how it would look. So for that reason I’m out. Proper kitchen packs would be a great idea though

+1…Ok if you get it from new, but when I see some of the dirty ■■■■■ behind wheels I’d think twice about using their seat after them never mind their khazi.

Get rid of all the electronic cr@p.

Adaptive Cruise Control… useless and half the time it doesn’t work.

Lane Departure… useless and half the time it doesn’t work.

Automatic distance thing for putting brakes on… useless, doesn’t work and downright dangerous.

etc, etc, etc…

Every single time I jump into a different lorry I seem to spend hours trying to find all this useless electronic junk, so that I can then turn it all off before I go anywhere!

:imp: :imp:

Win-Stone:
Every single time I jump into a different lorry I seem to spend hours trying to find all this useless electronic junk, so that I can then turn it all off before I go anywhere!

I do the…

Same. Heading for the gate off goes the lane departure thingy.

But, our pious little health and stupidity freak informs us that if we’re in a collision and these devices are found to be switched off, the driver might be held accountable for negligence.

yourhavingalarf:

Win-Stone:

I do the…

Same. Heading for the gate off goes the lane departure thingy.

But, our pious little health and stupidity freak informs us that if we’re in a collision and these devices are found to be switched off, the driver might be held accountable for negligence.

All well and good turning it off.And i do agree its all a load of ■■■■.But i bet that Fedex driver who hit that minibus wish he had it on his truck.Don’t know if its any better on other makes of truck.But the Daf one will go off at the slightest thing.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk