Talking on Bluetooth handsfree

Coming down the M6 the other night around Lymm s/b, fairly busy night with the usual numpties cutting in, lane hogging, switching lanes, pulling out and all the rest of it. :unamused: …snafu.
The Mrs rang me and we had a good conversation about assorted stuff, with me on hands free earpiece.

The conversation ended just past Stoke, and it suddenlly dawned on me I had come right through the roadworks for around 30 mins or so, and could not remember it.
I had basically came through it, dealing with all the crap etc on full autopilot.
Nothing happened so I must have dealt with everything, but what if something had happened 20 mins or so into the conversation?
Ok, I’m a fairly well experienced driver, and that usually brings on more and more autopilot by it’s very nature, but would I have been on a due care and attention charge if it had gone ■■■■ up on that occasion.
I do remember one prick in an artic cutting in on me, so I must have dealt with what I did remember ok, but is that enough in a court of law scenario.

robroy:
Coming down the M6 the other night around Lymm s/b, fairly busy night with the usual numpties cutting in, lane hogging, switching lanes, pulling out and all the rest of it. :unamused: …snafu.
The Mrs rang me and we had a good conversation about assorted stuff, with me on hands free earpiece.

The conversation ended just past Stoke, and it suddenlly dawned on me I had come right through the roadworks for around 30 mins or so, and could not remember it.
I had basically came through it, dealing with all the crap etc on full autopilot.
Nothing happened so I must have dealt with everything, but what if something had happened 20 mins or so into the conversation?
Ok, I’m a fairly well experienced driver, and that usually brings on more and more autopilot by it’s very nature, but would I have been on a due care and attention charge if it had gone ■■■■ up on that occasion.
I do remember one prick in an artic cutting in on me, so I must have dealt with what I did remember ok, but is that enough in a court of law scenario.

Makes ya wonder when you’ve also been over a couple of roundabouts whilst on the phone handsfree.
Some seem to manage to talk and drive safely, and some just plough into stationary traffic whilst talking.

Sorry…

About cutting in on you.

my bad

Some seem to manage to talk and drive safely, and some just plough into stationary traffic whilst talking.

You mean the ones that have been lucky enough not to have an accident? No matter how good a driver you are talking on a phone affects concentration and can lead to an accident no matter how good you think you are.

Driving without due care is such a vague law and open to interpretation, that’s why it’s used by the police as a catch all. It covers whatever they want it to. I was reading earlier that they want to use it to prosecute drivers who use vape sticks whilst driving.

I drove past…

Basingstoke on the M3 northbound once. The very town I was delivering to and this was when we had three pedals, no phones and ropes twirling in the breeze.

Phones have nothing to do with it. Miles and miles and miles of motorway do.

weeto:

robroy:

Makes ya wonder when you’ve also been over a couple of roundabouts whilst on the phone handsfree.

I suppose it’s down to the individual, everybody’s different.
Maybe some get so immersed in the conversation that they just completely switch off like a light on everything else, where as others manage to cope well doing two things at once and manage it.

I bet as sure as hell I did not get a clear run through where I did not have to brake or move out of the way of somebody, or do something similar, that just does not happen in a 50mph busy roadworks section, but it just hit me how I remembered next to nothing about it. :open_mouth:

Hate to say it but if you had been involved in an accident with that prick and you were on the phone and he was not, we all know who is getting into trouble and probably the blame.

Rick W:

You mean the ones that have been lucky enough not to have an accident? No matter how good a driver you are talking on a phone affects concentration and can lead to an accident no matter how good you think you are.

Don’t get me wrong mate, I was not suggesting or implying I was any better than anybody else, I aint,
It’s just how it happened and is certainly not the first time it has happened over the years…100 fold, it just appears that I can deal with it (as many others on here can) and I fully realise we are all susceptible to accidents and epic balls ups.

Rick W:

Hate to say it but if you had been involved in an accident with that prick and you were on the phone and he was not, we all know who is getting into trouble and probably the blame.

That was my whole point of the thread mate. :bulb:

robroy:

Rick W:

Don’t get me wrong mate, I was not suggesting or implying I was any better than anybody else, I aint,
It’s just how it happened and is certainly not the first time it has happened over the years…100 fold, it just appears that I can deal with it (as many others on here can) and I fully realise we are all susceptible to accidents and epic balls ups.

Yeah we’ve all done it auto pilot!

robroy:

Rick W:

That was my whole point of the thread mate. :bulb:

Fair enough.

it not being on the phone.
its being bored off your ■■■■ limited to 56 that does it.
if you cant drive on autopilot in bluetooth then your in the wrong job.
dual sim phone…2 sim cards inserted 2 sim cards live. remove sim card,and phones still working on the other one for them to check…
always better if the naughty one is payg…no worries.no blame.job done

How many times have you driven for long distances and dont remember anything about part of the journey? We go into autopilot in this job and we tend to disregard unimportant information anyway. How many times have you driven past something in particular and didn’t know anything about it until you had a reason to take an interest? How many cars are similar to your own but you paid them no attention until you bought your car?
We don’t pay attention to things that we don’t need to pay attention to

When I was working I often used to speak to the wife on Bluetooth :unamused: During conversation if I had traffic to deal with I stopped talking automatically. She just simply said I’ll speak later. I can’t multi task and she knows that so when I didn’t want to talk to her I just stopped talking and she thought I was busy…sometimes I was parked up :wink: :wink:

yourhavingalarf:
I drove past…

Basingstoke on the M3 northbound once. The very town I was delivering to and this was when we had three pedals, no phones and ropes twirling in the breeze.

Phones have nothing to do with it. Miles and miles and miles of motorway do.

Done that plenty of times again nothing to do with phones, felt a right pillock afterwards

dieseldog999:
it not being on the phone.
its being bored off your ■■■■ limited to 56 that does it.

if you cant drive on autopilot in bluetooth then your in the wrong job.

Don’t think the 56 thing is to blame DD.
I remember teararsing down the same stretch at 70 + in a Ford Transcontinental and still not remember passing Knutsford services mate. :bulb:

Must be in the right job after all if what you say is true then. :laughing:

scanny77:
How many times have you driven for long distances and dont remember anything about part of the journey? We go into autopilot in this job and we tend to disregard unimportant information anyway. How many times have you driven past something in particular and didn’t know anything about it until you had a reason to take an interest? How many cars are similar to your own but you paid them no attention until you bought your car?
We don’t pay attention to things that we don’t need to pay attention to

That sounds correct to me.
Rob says he remembers dealing with being cut-up, so that’s memorable and he’s remembered it.
Nothing for him, or us to worry about.
Having a chat whilst driving isn’t a problem I’d say. Dealing with serious stuff, on phone hands-free or equally with a passenger, isn’t good. Talking to wife etc about every day stuff, no problem. Having a numpty asking about ETAs could be different.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

dri-diddly-iver:
When I was working I often used to speak to the wife on Bluetooth :unamused: During conversation if I had traffic to deal with I stopped talking automatically. She just simply said I’ll speak later. I can’t multi task and she knows that so when I didn’t want to talk to her I just stopped talking and she thought I was busy…sometimes I was parked up :wink: :wink:

Multi Tasking:
Doing two or more things, badly, simultaneously.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk