UK licences abroad and another Brexit Issue?

Just reading that ‘Maybe’ UK licences won’t be recognised abroad if no deal agreed on Brexit crap.

telegraph.co.uk/politics/201 … it-eu/amp/

Edit : basically link says :

“British drivers could be stopped from travelling on the continent after Brexit because UK driving licences will no longer be recognised, the European Commission has suggested.

Failure to secure a deal on transport during the negotiations would see the mutual recognition of licences among member states withdrawn, meaning travellers would also potentially be unable to hire cars or take out insurance.

The warning was issued in presentation slides released by the European Commission on Thursday morning, just hours before Theresa May and her Brexit ‘war’ Cabinet were due to meet at Chequers to agree on the UK’s final negotiating position.”

Would this work both ways and any EE drivers would end up in same situation?

More political fiasco that’ll effect a lot of people’s lives again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can’t read the article because it’s behind a paywall but British drivers have been able to drive in mainland Europe since cars were invented so it does seem a bit of a scare story.

Another load of ■■■■■ or telling us that brexit is a load of bs and they are all lying ■■■■■■■■■■ think leaving the EU is going to be a rather large mistake.

dcgpx:
Just reading that ‘Maybe’ UK licences won’t be recognised abroad if no deal agreed on Brexit crap.

No just Telegraph fiasco !!! So every American ( other nationalities also available lol ) that visits a European country, because it says USA on his/her licence they can’t drive a car?? Really pees me off the complete and utter crap these papers come out with :unamused: :unamused: :imp: :imp:

Wasn’t an International Drivers Permit required years ago though Harry?

weeto:

For Spain, but that was years and years ago. Also when visiting Italy, you had to have a translation of you licence

weeto:

This is what they say will be the answer if no deal agreed.

Everyone will have to go through the slow process and cost of getting an IDP , apparently £5.50

It’s not saying you can’t drive ever abroad , just that you will need an extra hoop to jump through.

To me it’s another reason it’s all ■■■■ up when Brexit involved.

No more taking for granted you can pop off a ferry and go on your way if this latest scare is to be believed

pierrot 14:

dcgpx:

No just Telegraph fiasco !!! So every American ( other nationalities also available lol ) that visits a European country, because it says USA on his/her licence they can’t drive a car?? Really pees me off the complete and utter crap these papers come out with :unamused: :unamused: :imp: :imp:

They do need an IDP though, and so would we.

dcgpx:

weeto:

Everyone will have to go through the slow process and cost of getting an IDP , apparently £5.50

It’s not saying you can’t drive ever abroad , just that you will need an extra hoop to jump through.

To me it’s another reason it’s all ■■■■ up when Brexit involved.

No more taking for granted you can pop off a ferry and go on your way if this latest scare is to be believed

Get a grip.

IDP is only required by italians for americans according to google.

If the biggest inconvenience is having to pay £5.50 once a year I think most people can live with that. BTW the longwinded process involves popping to the post office - they do it there and then.

Currently UK licences are accepted everywhere in Europe and no need for an IDP, the only exception is BG where you need one if you dont have a photocard licence.
Cant see this changing, its just scaremongering. Even so,an IDP is just purely a form filling and fee paying process, anyone with a valid licence can get one without issue…

sammym:
Get a grip.

If the biggest inconvenience is having to pay £5.50 once a year I think most people can live with that. BTW the longwinded process involves popping to the post office - they do it there and then.

I’m only saying it’s an extra hoop if it’s true. And given the amount of permits that might be needed it won’t be a case of just ‘Popping’ to a post office will it.

And you are not in any position whatsoever in this reality or the next to tell me to ‘ Get a grip’ given your total fiasco and downright dangerous career start !

There is a bit about driver cpc’s also not being recognised in the article.

Under the heading “consequences of the UK becoming a third country in the road transport sector” the Commission said a consequence of leaving the internal market would be that “all current EU law-based rights, obligations and benefits cease”.
This, it added, would mean the “end of mutual recognition of driving licences, vehicle registration documents and certificates of professional competence for drivers”.

weeto:

Under the heading “consequences of the UK becoming a third country in the road transport sector” the Commission said a consequence of leaving the internal market would be that “all current EU law-based rights, obligations and benefits cease”.
This, it added, would mean the “end of mutual recognition of driving licences, vehicle registration documents and certificates of professional competence for drivers”.

If this is going to be the case it will end for good any outgoing traffic by UK based drivers. However, personally i cant see this happening…

What bothers me more, is that Tes May us currently talking to her Cabinet to agree a final negotiating position!
There’s only just over a year to go and the Politicians (in the Same Freaking Party) are still in-fighting about what their position is!

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

Here we go , the >Guardian prints something to do with Brexit and we on here are all speculating, joining in with the scaremongering, the arguments and getting into a frenzy. We are (on TNUK) a population of a few hundreds (correct me if you want Mods), imagine what it’s doing to the hoards of UK residents that read this paper and those that hear about it from those that have heard about it from those that ha…etc etc…
Nobody knows!!! what Brexit will bring.
There was a time before the EU, United Europe, Maastricht, etc. and it wasn’t all bad then. Never did you have to apply for an IDP except for Spain, or get a translation except for Italy, why should it change now?

dcgpx:

sammym:
Get a grip.

I’m only saying it’s an extra hoop if it’s true. And given the amount of permits that might be needed it won’t be a case of just ‘Popping’ to a post office will it.

And you are not in any position whatsoever in this reality or the next to tell me to ‘ Get a grip’ given your total fiasco and downright dangerous career start !

Have you ever got an IDP? The process takes about the same amount of time as sending a recorded delivery letter once you have filled in the basic form. I’m pretty sure the huge post office network would cope given it’s used to dealing with a large number of people every day. And we won’t need one anyway for Europe.

Driving isn’t my ‘career’ it might be for you, but I aspire to more in life than that. It’s a part-time job to earn a bit of cash and have a laugh. I don’t see what my perceived failings have to do with IDP’s… But the people who matter seem to be pretty happy with me. Had 4 calls in the last 48 hours asking me to work.

AndrewG:

weeto:

If this is going to be the case it will end for good any outgoing traffic by UK based drivers. However, personally i cant see this happening…

In all of these sorts of articles no one ever mentions it being a two way street nothing to stop the UK from banning all EU licences in return. How does a Russian or Turkish driver get through Europe? The way the EU talks you would think that everyone who is not an EU national is banned from doing anything in Europe other than breathing.

weeto:

pierrot 14:

They do need an IDP though, and so would we.

What’s the problem.It’s so much better to be ruled by Merkel and Juncker than to just apply to the AA or post office for an IDP.

While if they are actually saying that they also won’t recognise that together with our licences,specifically in the case of Brits,then that’s effectively a backdoor travel restriction,applied to a sovereign state,for the crime of secession from the EU.Which isn’t exactly the same thing that’s more like an act of war.No surprise there in that Federalist dictatorships don’t do secession.

dcgpx:

weeto:

I’ve had a couple of IDPs and it was never a slow process to get one- my first one came from a very brief visit to an AA portacabin on the Sidcup by-pass, there were five boxes which could be stamped according to the category of licence and I was entitled to three of them but the bloke stamped all five, and said “I’ve given you a couple of extra categories”. :stuck_out_tongue:

Franglais:
What bothers me more, is that Tes May us currently talking to her Cabinet to agree a final negotiating position!
There’s only just over a year to go and the Politicians (in the Same Freaking Party) are still in-fighting about what their position is!

It’s clear what remainer May’s ‘position’ is.The softest of soft Brexits ( remain in all but name ) with the intention of playing for time until she hands the agenda over to the pro EU ‘opposition’.Which then overturns the referendum vote and signs us back up to full on EUSSR puppet regime and state again.Meanwhile Johnson,Davis and Mogg just play along pretending to be on the ‘Leave’ side of the treacherous Cons while at the same time confirming their loyalty to May.The ongoing establishment controlled media project fear and pro EU propaganda and her administration’s continuing surrender to the EU’s every demand,being part of that agenda.