M1 minibus crash, first day in court

Roymondo:

kcrussell25:

Roymondo:

kcrussell25:
What did Wagstaff do that was actually dangerous? Phone was legal but he wasn’t paying attention. How many of us haven’t done that before? Was just unlucky with the consequences that time. Clearly careless but can’t call it dangerous.

The pole stopped in a live lane for no reason, clearly dangerous. Add the aggravating factors of being drunk, banned and multiple recent offences and he is probably lucky they didn’t push for manslaughter.

Rip to all involved

I’m no driving god, but FFS if ever it gets to the stage that I pile into a [zb] stationary vehicle (with its hazard flashers on) without even registering the fact that it’s there, let alone making any attempt to hit the brakes or even slow down a bit then bloody use the humane killer on me then and there. The man’s a Grade One [zb] and deserves every last minute of the pathetic sentence he got. I hope he [zb] suffers every moment of his time inside.

It should also be noted that Wagstaffe’s driving was found not to be dangerous - just careless.

This was my point regards the verdict/sentence. I probably should have made that clearer.

For what its worth I think if it had been a “hand held” call rather than “hands-free” he would also have got dangerous rather than careless

So why pose the question “What did he do that was actually dangerous”? The jury decision indicates that they considered his driving was not dangerous. He had already admitted to driving carelessly, and he was convicted accordingly.

This is my point that he was convicted and sentenced for careless. I just started my post with it. I have followed, though not closely this case and think there was an attempt to make a big deal of being cruise and the phone. Cruise is normal driving for a lorry even if it may sound bad to the public. The phone was hands free, again legal so can’t be called dangerous.

I think some on here believe he should have got longer because of the outcome of his actions rather than the actions themselves. We are tried for our actions and then the circumstances, including the outcome are taken into account for sentencing if found guilty. He received the maximum sentence possible for his crime. Can’t ask the judge for anymore than that.

To be clear, I hope I never find myself in this situation