Bridge height question

At this arched bridge, between those markers “goal posts” on that arch, what height can you go through at? If it’s saying 14’3 where the lines are, but then those no other height marking at the centre, then it doesn’t look like you could treat that part as an unmarked bridge…or can you?

The height in the middle is over 16’ 6", if you look on the road at the other side of the bridge it directs high vehicles to the middle.

But if where it is marked as 14’3 where the white lines on the bridge are, then the middle part can’t be 16’6 if you look at the difference in height between the 2

Rowley010:
But if where it is marked as 14’3 where the white lines on the bridge are, then the middle part can’t be 16’6 if you look at the difference in height between the 2

The lowest part of the arch between the goalposts is 14’ 3", the centre of the arch is more than 2’ 3" higher.

In my experience if you have to ask then something is not right with whomever is driving the vehicle
It’s part of a drivers job to know about things like this and its so scarey to think that there are people out there on the road who don’t know how to approach it
Is it a moment when a couple of feet from it they realise that they made a mistake and just keep going

I would assume that the lowest marked part of the arch is 14’ 3", obviously rising to 16" 6’ or higher where there are no markings. Looking at the damage to the brickwork on the right hand side, not everyone is making that assumption.

Banker:
In my experience if you have to ask then something is not right with whomever is driving the vehicle
It’s part of a drivers job to know about things like this and its so scarey to think that there are people out there on the road who don’t know how to approach it
Is it a moment when a couple of feet from it they realise that they made a mistake and just keep going

In MY experience, it’s when questions AREN’T asked that things go wrong. Better off asking a question and look stupid than not ask and look worse!

Captain Caveman 76:

Banker:

In MY experience, it’s when questions AREN’T asked that things go wrong. Better off asking a question and look stupid than not ask and look worse!

Not a question like that no matter how green you are it stinks of not having a clue what you are driving
I do understand we all have to learn but this you should know or avoid and take another route

Banker:

Depend what the bridge is carrying on the the top. Canal, road or rail.

gov.uk/government/uploads/s … rivers.pdf

Page 2 says

You should be aware that traffic signs are provided at bridges to show the maximum permitted vehicle height when less than 16´-3˝ (4.95 metres):

I think that looks like a railbridge so could be as low as 16’ 3" and doesn’t need to be marked! :open_mouth: :bulb:

The lowest part is the outside of the arch marked by the two sets of lines .
The clue also is the 7.5t parked on the left that has loads of clearance .

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Captain Caveman 76:

Banker:

And just from asking a question and getting a answer anywhere should you still try to go under the bridge because someone on here says it’s ok
No wonder there are so many bridge strikes

As stated 16’6 or more for centre, imagine an invisible crossbar at the bottom of the goal posts for the height markers at the edges of the arch, that’s the 14’3 height ish.

For those who don’t watch football, your buggered and slightly offside.

Dipper_Dave:
As stated 16’6 or more for centre, imagine an invisible crossbar at the bottom of the goal posts for the height markers, that’s the 14’3 height ish.

For those who don’t watch football, your buggered.

What about rugby?

Captain Caveman 76:

Dipper_Dave:
As stated 16’6 or more for centre, imagine an invisible crossbar at the bottom of the goal posts for the height markers, that’s the 14’3 height ish.

For those who don’t watch football, your buggered.

What about rugby?

Peanut chasers are ok as I believe their goals use the same terminology. Just guessing (oh alright I googled it).

Oh I will allow folks who watch women’s beach volleyball, ‘watch’ is probably the wrong word though… :wink:

Captain Caveman 76:

Banker:

Absolutely, only a fool doesn’t ask if they are unsure. No such thing as a stupid question an all that.

UKtramp:

Captain Caveman 76:

Banker:

Absolutely, only a fool doesn’t ask if they are unsure. No such thing as a stupid question an all that.

I agree.

See even though I run at 14ft I’d be in the middle there. I don’t trust the lower edges of arch bridges lol

Banker:

Others have already pointed this out. But I’ll say it as well.

By asking a question why is there something wrong with him? You’re right it is a drivers job to know this stuff - which is why the guy is asking the question. So he can learn and know it.

And finally you go on to point out what can go wrong if someone gets this wrong but ridicule them for asking the question.

This is a good forum - and you usually get some really good knowledgeable guys who will both advise/help and then take the micky. Which is fine. But all you are doing with comments like that is stopping other people asking questions and learning before they make a mistake. There is far too much ■■■■■■■ behavior on here - all it’s doing is alienating new members who might want to learn. A bit of ribbing from experienced guys is one thing - but you are offering absolutely nothing constructive.

personally if i was heading for that with anything higher than a fridge it would be saying to me…hazards on,headlights on main beam,dead centre,bollox to anyone else coming towards me…window right down,as your going under,be hanging out of aforementioned window in crawler with your toe pointing at the brake,assuming id scrape through anyway.

dieseldog999:
personally if i was heading for that with anything higher than a fridge it would be saying to me…hazards on,headlights on main beam,dead centre,bollox to anyone else coming towards me…window right down,as your going under,be hanging out of aforementioned window in crawler with your toe pointing at the brake,assuming id scrape through anyway.

^^^
This, take the middle of the road to be safe, its marked up for that purpose.
Wheres the metric measurement on these bridges, fourteen shillings and threepence is out of the ark…

UKtramp:

Captain Caveman 76:

Banker:

But what if the answers given, in good faith, happen to be wrong? I put a link up earlier to a .gov site with information which is different to the majority view here so which is the correct answer?